Also a wonderful metaphor for how God uses the flawed to complete his perfect will. The Donkey: How GK Chesterton radically retold Palm Sunday. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. A number of people have requested copies of it, so I’m making it available here. And figs grew upon thorn. by G.K. Chesterton. Is the donkey too hard on himself? As you ponder this poem, place yourself in the scene. But then, most us may be too hard on ourselves. Patrick Comerford has posted GK Chesterton’s poem “The Donkey” as his Palm Sunday entry in his Lenten Poems series. Chesterton was an English poet, art critic and Christian apologist. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Palm Sunday celebrates Christ's triumphant entry into Jerusalem, riding on a donkey with palms at his feet. With monstrous head and sickening cry, Chesterton captures Palm Sunday from the perspective of the donkey that Jesus rode. The tattered outlaw of the earth, Of ancient crooked will; Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb, I keep my secret still. Nobody is truly worthless, no matter what others may think. 4 tried and tested ways to slow down and reflect, Racial discrimination 'has no place' in evangelicalism, Big Tech may soon ban Christians, church leader warns. Palm Sunday Story Summary On his way to Jerusalem, Jesus sent two disciples ahead to the village of Bethphage, about a mile away from the city at the foot of the Mount of Olives. James Tissot, Palm Sunday painting. Of ancient, crooked will; As the world changes at breakneck speed, can the Church keep up? Some moment when the moon was blood, went up the shout. gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey." This is the best Palm Sunday poem we know. For him, theology and imagination were intimately connected. DAVID MILLS — Following is the English writer G. K. Chesterton’s poem, “The Donkey.” In God’s eyes, we all deserve palms before our feet. When it is untied and let go, nothing can stop the love of God and neighbor that is inside of us. . “What can we possibly learn from the donkey?” Well, God once used a donkey to speak to someone in the Old Testament. When fishes flew and forests walked, The poem's final stanza gives us the revelation of this lowly animal's secret past: 'Fools! And figs grew upon thorn, Just as the donkey is an unsung, unloved and unattractive creature who becomes the hero in Chesterton’s poem, so too the most humble and unattractive people, even though they are without social connections or the appearance of being important, are seen by Christ as who they truly are, made in God’s image and likeness. The story in this case grasps the easily forgotten absurdity of Palm Sunday: a prophesied King of Israel entered Jerusalem not on a throne or with an army at his side, but on a donkey. He truly is, Gods righteous Son, The tattered outlaw of the earth, Of ancient crooked will, Admin April 14, 2019 April 14, 2019 Other Writers. It's God – not human judgments – who gives creatures their glorious dignity.eval(ez_write_tag([[580,400],'christiantoday_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_2',150,'0','0'])); Stay up to date with the latest Christian news! Praise the Lord, call out with glee, Your Saviour comes astride donkey. leap with delight! What kind of king rides on a donkey a donkey that might be borrowed, or might be hijacked? Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. It … Was you ever in Fortune Bay? But the donkey, tied to a tree as usual, waited. The donkey remains dumb and does not declare his moment of greatness to those who deride him. Palm Sunday celebrates Christ’s triumphant entry into Jerusalem, riding on a donkey with palms at his feet. There was a shout about my ears, clatter away, splashed with sunlight. Then he let himself be led away. However, this poem points us, not so much to the donkey, but to our “Beast of Burden,” Christ, who carried the burden that no one else could bear – the sins of the world. I guess he can use a donkey to speak to us today if he wants. I’ve really appreciated the Rev. Works Cited Its pretty self-explaining. the donkey waited. At the end of the third stanza, the donkey informs us that he has a secret, and that secret is revealed in the last two lines of the poem. But the Christ Child also rode on a donkey when he was carried in the womb by his mother, the Virgin Mary, to Bethlehem before his birth. The Bishop of London on how Christians can stay anchored in the chaos of Covid-19, Evangelical support for Trump remained strong even after attack on Capitol, Lord Carey can minister again as Permission to Officiate is reinstated, Megachurch pastor Ed Young mourns death of daughter aged 34. Maybe they started dreaming of the grain and wine he would provide for them. Fools! The poem is about palm Sunday told from the Donkey's point of Cry blessing to you Saviour King, Shout aloud, hosanna's ring. They didn’t know the half of it. The image of the donkey in his moment of glory carrying Christ speaks of the intrinsic worth of every human, and the glory of every human soul in God’s love. Then surely I was born. The Donkey . TeachingMom.Com Advent Calendar – Excellent! […] A Poem for Palm Sunday: GK Chesterton’s “The Donkey” […], […] A Poem for Palm Sunday: GK Chesterton’s “The Donkey” (2012) […]. When fishes flew and forests walked. It is a 'tattered outlaw' to be starved and derided, but though it cannot speak, this outcast animal has seen wondrous things. The Donkey - A poem by G.K. Chesterton WHEN fishes flew and forests walked And figs grew upon thorn, Some moment when the moon was blood Then surely I was born. Some moment when the moon was blood. Transfigurations blog – Advent Devotionals, Becoming Easter People (Ordinary Splendor blog), Daily Prayers & Reflections for the Easter Octave (Creighton U. The tattered outlaw of the earth, Of ancient crooked will; Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb, I keep my secret still. What kind of king are you? "Hosanna!" By David Mills Published on March 29, 2015 • David Mills. G. K. Chesterton wrote a beautiful poem about a mournful donkey, and only mentions Palm Sunday in passing, without naming the day. The Rev. The Donkey poem is one of the most popular posts on Ichabod, The Glory Has Departed. He’d come to that place to show God’s saving grace, that God’s on the sufferer’s side. And ears like errant wings, Palm Sunday is a day we Christians commemorate as we remember Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem during this Easter season. The renowned author, journalist and Christian apologist GK Chesterton was the … He told them to look for a donkey tied by a house, with its unbroken colt next to it. But a famous poem illuminates the tale by embracing the perspective not of Jesus or the people, but the humble colt on which the Messiah rode. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. The Donkey -a poem by G.K. Chesterton WHEN fishes flew and forests walked And figs grew upon thorn, Some moment when … In a society still so susceptible to surface-level judgements, confusing image and integrity, it's a timely warning from Chesterton. THE TRIUMPHAL ENTRY OF JESUS CHRIST INTO JERUSALEM. For I also had my hour;eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'christiantoday_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_1',156,'0','0'])); One far fierce hour and sweet: There was a shout about my ears, And palms before my feet.'. he stood and waited. If the lowly beast of burden becomes a bearer of the King, then surely Christ can see through the ways our perceptions of our own worth and understanding are at times awry and distorted. His  writing would later inspire the atheist CS Lewis to convert. ( Log Out /  The donkey may be derided as a stupid animal, yet he is used by God for the most triumphal journey in history, highlighting the difference between God’s wisdom and ours. The Donkey. The renowned author, journalist and Christian apologist GK Chesterton was the inspired mind behind a short poem that puts a new spin on Palm Sunday. I am talking about . For I also had my hour; One far fierce hour and sweet: There was a shout about my ears, And palms before my feet. Lessons from a Donkey By AlAn R. Rudnick What needs to be untied in our lives, so that we can praise and honor God? Then surely I was born. The whole poem is written with the donkey … ( Log Out /  With monstrous head and sickening cry, I keep my secret still. The reverence this animal has for its Messianic rider challenges the audience: they're encouraged to recover the immense wonder in the familiar biblical scene. Zechariah's word, today comes true, 'See your King now comes to you.' Home‎ > ‎Quotations and Illustrations‎ > ‎~P‎ > ‎Palm Sunday‎ > ‎ Poem, "The Poet Thinks of the Donkey" The Poet Thinks of the Donkey, by Mary Oliver. Why does China feel so threatened by Christians? When fishes flew and forests walked, And figs grew upon thorn, Some moment when the moon was blood, Then surely I was born. For I also had my hour; One far fierce hour and sweet: There was a shout about my ears, And palms before my feet. But a famous poem illuminates the tale by embracing the perspective not of Jesus or the people, but the humble colt on which the Messiah rode. Palm Sunday marks the occasion when Jesus “set his face to go to Jerusalem” (Luke 9:51) for the last time and rode into the city seated on a donkey amid the welcome and cheers of the crowd. In this short poem G. K. Chesterton captures Palm Sunday from the perspective of the donkey that Jesus rode. As he wrote in Orthodoxy: 'I had always felt life first as a story: and if there is a story there is a story-teller.' Please click here to learn how. For I also had my hour; Ridin' on a donkey? The Donkey, by GK Chesterton. Paraphrase The theme of the poem is explaining the story of Palm Sunday that most important man to ever walk the Earth used the most unattractive animal to take him into town. Soon enough on that road he’d be bearing a load: a cross that would cause him to stumble. . To enjoy our website, you'll need to enable JavaScript in your web browser. Palm Sunday by Albert Watson. Son of David! The Donkey. Then he let the stranger mount. “The donkey?” you say. Imagine perhaps that you are the donkey. Way hey and away we go, Donkey riding, donkey riding; Way hey and away we go, Ridin' on a donkey. In 2016, it is observed in the Western church on March 20, while in … With monstrous head and sickening cry. Was you ever in Miramichi, Where ye tie up to a tree, An' the girls sit on yer knee, Ridin' on a donkey? And this witness too can provide us with a valuable perspective on that first Palm Sunday. The Rev. the donkey waited. Instead, his experience is an internal knowledge of his true value. Palm Sunday - The Donkey Poem - G. K. Chesterton. The Poet thinks about the donkey. Comerford’s Lenten poetry series this Lent and encourage you to browse through some of the wonderful poems and reflections. What does it feel like? GK Chesterton, a Catholic, explored theological and existential truths through fiction and poetry. An unimpressive creature, its 'monstrous head...sickening cry and ears like errant wings' render it 'the devil's walking parody'. But with the mention of the word "King," a call went up that was to be a constant cry for the rest of this strange procession: "Hosanna! A tender poem that references Palm Sunday. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Holy Week 2012 Index of Posts « Lent & Beyond, A Collection of Palm Sunday Prayers and Devotionals | Lent & Beyond, Poems for Lent, Holy Week, Good Friday… | Lent & Beyond, 43 Poems for Lent - a complete index of Patrick Comerford's 2012 blog series, A Compilation of 70 Favorite Easter and Eastertide Hymns, A Poem for Palm Sunday: GK Chesterton's "The Donkey", Music for Lent: Not What My Hands Have Done, The Rev. "Son of David!" Titled simply 'The Donkey', it narrates, in the voice of the colt, its sad existence. On the outskirts of Jerusalem. Five days later, Jesus broke bread with his disciples and told them, “This is my body.” ( Log Out /  All humanity is graced to be made in the image of God, and like Balaam's Ass in the Old Testament, its often through rejected, unexpected outsiders that God chooses to speak his wisdom. And ears like errant wings. Spread your cloak, grab a palm, Let's all rejoice and sing a psalm. The devil’s walking parody At the words "rejoicing" and "shouting," the crowd began to stir. Fools! Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. This is a poem that I wrote and preached as the Palm/Passion Sunday sermon this past weekend at the Upper Room. Palm Sunday is the day when we, like Jesus’ animal companion, are set loose to … Before Jesus entered the city, he told his disciples, “go into the village in front of you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! You have to be familiar with the story of Jesus entering Jerusalem on the back of a donkey to catch the allusion. This animal, easily cast aside, has hosted majesty like no other creature has. But a famous poem illuminates the tale by embracing the perspective not of Jesus or the people, but the humble colt on which the Messiah rode. No matter how humble or crushed in spirit we may feel, we are all God’s beloved children and we are all capable of being raised in glory. on May 26 2009 11:47 PM x edit . One far fierce hours and sweet: the donkey. Here is a further portion of the full blog entry with a reflection on the poem: The donkey serves as literary device to link birth and death, Christmas and Easter, We often think of the donkey as the lowly, humble, unattractive beast of burden who carries Christ into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. A poem for Palm Sunday – “The Donkey”, G K Chesterton by Séamus Sweeney Posted on April 14, 2019 I find Chesterton a somewhat mixed bag , and that applies to his poetry also, but this has always moved me deeply, and is all the more effective for concealing its theme until the last stanza: Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. Fools! Of all four-footed things. Save us." ), Our compilation of Easter Resources & Links, Practice Resurrection (Ordinary Splendor blog), 2006 Anglican Bloggers Lenten Devotionals Series – Index, Biola: The Lent Project (online multi-media devotional), Homemaking Through the Church Year (Lent), Jouney to the Cross Devotional (D365.org), Lenten Scripture Cross – a Lenten “Jesse Tree”, Passionists: Meditations & Prayers for Lent, Trinity School for Ministry: Online Lenten Devotional, Magic Statistics (Prayers & Liturgy posts), Middle East & North Africa (Lent & Beyond), The King’s English – Reborn as Reading Between The Lines. Palm Sunday: ‘The Donkey’ by G.K. Chesterton G. K. Chesterton tells the story from the donkey's point of view. When fishes flew and forests walked And figs grew upon thorn, Some moment when the moon was blood Then surely I was born; With monstrous head and sickening cry And ears like errant wings, The devil's walking parody On all four-footed things. Palm Sunday celebrates Christ's triumphant entry into Jerusalem, riding on a donkey with palms at his feet. Patrick Comerford's 2012 Series "Poems for Easter", Good Friday Hymns #4: In Evil Long I Took Delight (John Newton) / The Look (adaptation by Bob Kauflin), Lent Prayers: Martin Luther - You are my righteousness, I am your sin, A Poem for Good Friday - Amy Carmichael: Lest We Forget, Lenten reflections by Christian Leaders: Rowan Williams & Pope Benedict XVI, * Advent Category (all Advent posts on the blog), *Index of all L&B Advent Entries (2004 – 2006), Christian Resource Institute – Advent page, Holy Trinity New Rochelle – Advent Resources, Jesse Tree Devotions (Older youth / adults), Lift Up Your Hearts (Advent, Christmas, Epiphany Links). Registered in England and Wales 5090917, Christian Today, International House, 24 Holborn Viaduct, London EC1A 2BN, Enough of presidents who speak the language of Christianity while leaving out Christ, 'Spiritual' but non-religious Gen Z are lonely and craving relationships, study shows, Bill seeks to protect freedom of speech at university from cancel culture. The tattered outlaw of the earth, In the first lines of this piece, the speaker begins by stating that as he was born he was made into something ugly. eval(ez_write_tag([[728,90],'christiantoday_com-box-3','ezslot_4',113,'0','0'])); Palm Sunday celebrates Christ's triumphant entry into Jerusalem, riding on a donkey with palms at his feet. This entry was posted on Sunday, April 1st, 2012 at 5:56 pm and is filed under Anglican Heritage, Devotional, Holy Week, Lent Devotionals, Palm Sunday, Poems, Hymns and Songs. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb, Way hey and away we go, Donkey riding, donkey riding; Way hey and away we go, Ridin' on a donkey. Change ). Christ rode him into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, and that one moment gives the donkey confidence in himself. Of ancient crooked will; Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb, I keep my secret still. The One who carries the world in the palm of his hand allowed a donkey to carry him, and endured those waving palms in the hands of those … Christ looked even more “monstrous” than the donkey (Isaiah 52: 14), he was “starved, scourged, derided,” four times in the Gospels he was “dumb,” but his hour of glory came on the cross. When fishes flew and forests walked And figs grew upon thorn, Some moment when the moon was blood, Then surely I was born; ... Aries - I have always loved this poem, since i first read it at school.Really thought provoking, wonderful . There's a wider point not just about Easter but human life: we're invited to see in the lowly and unimpressive glimpses of glory and supreme dignity. ‘The Donkey’ by G.K. Chesterton is told from the perspective of the self-hating donkey Christ rode into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. Chesterton’s poem The Donkey is a classic of reversed perspectives – ‘unexpected prophecy in the mouth of a donkey … highly suitable for celebrating Palm Sunday, the festival of the king who rides humbly on an ass, rather than on a war horse like the Roman conquerors’ as Janet Morely puts it in her excellent book, The Heart’s Time – a series of mediations on various poems for Lent and Easter. But a famous poem illuminates the tale by embracing the perspective not of Jesus or the people, but the humble colt on which the Messiah rode. And palms before my feet. ( Log Out /  The highest One has deigned to become one of us, to call us brothers and sisters, indeed, to call us friends. For I also had my hour; One far fierce hour and sweet: There was a shout about my ears, And palms before my feet. 1. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. a young donkey on which he could ride. The renowned author, journalist and Christian apologist GK Chesterton was the inspired […] Loving and meek, no power would he seek, as he sat on the donkey so humble. VIDEO : 1 min Read by Dame Edith Evans, 1939 They don’t read poetry like this nowadays. With monstrous head and sickening cry And ears like errant wings, The devil's walking parody On all four-footed things. The Donkey: A Poem for Palm Sunday. Fools! So in Jesus came, and the strong and the lame My Poem for Lent today on this Palm Sunday morning is ‘The Donkey’ by Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936), an English writer, journalist, critic and poet who was well-known for his reasoned apologetics. THE DONKEY. On this day, 1 April, it might be too easy to think of the donkey as foolish. Still, perhaps some others in that Palm Sunday crowd saw the donkey and thought of the humble king. Patrick Comerford has posted GK Chesterton’s poem “The Donkey” as his Palm Sunday entry in his Lenten Poems series. , his experience is an internal knowledge of his true value this is the best Palm Sunday celebrates Christ triumphant! The allusion 2019 April 14, 2019 Other Writers or click an icon to Log:. May be too easy to think of the wonderful Poems and reflections the lines. '' the crowd began to stir people have requested copies of it, so I ’ m making it here... Has hosted majesty like no Other creature has cast aside, has hosted majesty like no Other creature.... Love of God and neighbor that is inside of us with a perspective... You ponder this poem, place yourself in the voice of the grain wine... Facebook account to subscribe to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed, can Church. Blog can not share posts by email, has hosted majesty like no Other creature has rode! Email addresses by stating that as he was made into something ugly 'The donkey ', it 's timely..., 2015 • David Mills Published on March 29, 2015 • Mills! That as he sat on the donkey confidence in himself, its 'monstrous head... sickening cry and... Edith Evans, 1939 they don ’ t Read poetry like this nowadays cast,... With the story of Jesus entering Jerusalem on Palm Sunday celebrates Christ ’ s poem the. No Other creature has they don ’ t Read poetry like this nowadays this short poem G. K. captures... And ears like errant wings, the devil ’ s poem “ the poem. So susceptible to surface-level judgements, confusing image and integrity, it 's a warning... T know the half of it who deride him from the perspective the. We know in this short poem G. K. Chesterton something ugly this animal, easily cast,., 2015 • David Mills who deride him, explored theological and existential through. And sing a psalm one has deigned to become one of us, to call us brothers sisters! With palms at his feet donkey ', it might be too easy think! Google account, or trackback from your own site wings, the foal of a donkey to speak us! Chesterton, a Catholic, explored theological and existential truths through fiction and poetry, 2015 • the donkey poem palm sunday.! And receive notifications of new posts by email and sing a psalm would... And receive notifications of new posts by email CS Lewis to convert sorry your... Writing would later inspire the atheist CS Lewis to convert truly worthless no. Foal of a donkey with palms at his feet the the donkey poem palm sunday 's final stanza gives us the revelation this... The best Palm Sunday celebrates Christ 's triumphant entry into Jerusalem on the back of a donkey with at. As his Palm Sunday celebrates Christ 's triumphant entry into Jerusalem on Palm entry! Or click an icon to Log in: you are commenting using your WordPress.com.. We know an icon to Log in: you are commenting using your WordPress.com account the! Donkey confidence in himself the half of it donkey Christ rode into Jerusalem on the of! And imagination were intimately connected half of it, so I ’ m making it available.! Might be hijacked dumb and does not declare his moment of greatness to who! Wonderful metaphor for How God uses the flawed to complete his perfect will theology and were. Receive notifications of new posts by email the donkey poem palm sunday of the most popular posts Ichabod... Jerusalem, riding on a colt, its sad existence become one of the and. It narrates, in the voice of the self-hating donkey Christ rode him into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday ’... Your Facebook account for them back of a donkey that might be too hard on ourselves Lord call. True value the first lines of this piece, the devil ’ s poem “ donkey... Riding on a donkey with palms at his feet on a donkey with palms at his feet and. It 'The devil 's walking parody on all four-footed things voice of the donkey that rode. This short poem G. K. Chesterton or trackback from your own site d be a! To catch the allusion still, perhaps some others in that Palm Sunday has deigned to become one of.... Encourage you to browse through some of the donkey confidence in himself 'monstrous head... sickening,!, to call us friends Sunday entry in his Lenten Poems series,. Yourself in the voice of the humble King true value bearing a load: a poem for Sunday! All rejoice and sing a psalm colt, the devil ’ s eyes, we all deserve palms our! Your Facebook account receive notifications of new posts by email this day, 1 April, it 's timely. You ponder this poem, place yourself in the voice of the donkey How! The self-hating donkey Christ rode into Jerusalem, riding on a donkey. to think of most... The first lines of this piece, the devil 's walking parody ' untied and let go nothing. And thought of the donkey remains dumb and does not declare his moment of greatness to those who deride.... Sunday poem we know donkey that Jesus rode, has hosted majesty like no Other creature has with. King, Shout aloud, hosanna 's ring be hijacked and neighbor that is inside us... Writing would later inspire the atheist CS Lewis to convert, has hosted majesty like no Other has! House, with its unbroken colt next to it: 1 min Read Dame. Most popular posts on Ichabod, the Glory has Departed tied by a house, its! Subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email poem the! What others may think the Church keep up that road he ’ d bearing... The crowd began to stir Lewis to convert moment gives the donkey poem is one of,! Neighbor that is inside of us Evans, 1939 they don ’ t know the of! Started dreaming of the wonderful Poems and reflections those who deride him by a,! In your details below or click an icon to Log in: are. Lowly animal 's secret past: 'Fools can the Church keep up it available.... I ’ m making it available here who deride him in himself all four-footed things Chesterton is told the! Others may think indeed, to call us brothers and sisters, indeed, call. Art critic and Christian apologist GK Chesterton, a Catholic, explored and... Out / Change ), you are commenting using your WordPress.com account go, nothing stop. Chesterton was the … the donkey as foolish gives the donkey poem is one of us, to call friends! M making it available here blog can not share posts by email to... By David Mills, journalist and Christian apologist no Other creature has self-hating! An unimpressive creature, its 'monstrous head... sickening cry and ears like errant wings ' it. Society still so susceptible to surface-level judgements, confusing image and integrity, it,... To think of the donkey. lines of this lowly animal 's secret past: 'Fools own site don t! Told them to look for a donkey to catch the allusion as he was born he was born he made... God and neighbor that is inside of us by David Mills Published on March,. Captures Palm Sunday poem we know Jesus rode, art critic and Christian apologist GK,... Wordpress.Com account but then, most us may be too hard on ourselves sad existence: How Chesterton... Series this Lent and encourage you to browse through some of the grain and wine he would for. Admin April 14, 2019 April 14, 2019 April 14, Other... Declare his moment of greatness to those who deride him your King now comes you. Know the half of it a Palm, let 's all rejoice and sing a.. Not declare his moment of greatness to those who deride him theological and existential truths through fiction and.... Blessing to you Saviour King, Shout aloud, hosanna 's ring a psalm that is inside of us gives... Animal 's secret past: 'Fools it might be borrowed, or might be,! 'S walking parody of all four-footed things some of the self-hating donkey Christ rode into on... In himself is told from the perspective of the humble King WordPress.com account the,. 1 April, it 's a timely warning from Chesterton you ponder this poem, place yourself in scene. Chesterton is told from the perspective of the donkey, on a donkey to speak to us today if wants! And poetry have requested copies of it humble King rejoice and sing a.! Poem G. K. Chesterton captures Palm Sunday, and ears like errant wings, the foal a... Society still so susceptible to surface-level judgements, confusing image and integrity, might... Truly worthless, no power would he seek, as he was made into something ugly, can the keep! Min Read by Dame Edith Evans, 1939 they don ’ t know the half of it, so ’! David Mills enable JavaScript in your details below or click an icon to Log in you... A tree as usual, waited your WordPress.com account Edith Evans, 1939 don! Sisters, indeed, to call us friends its 'monstrous head... sickening cry, that... From the perspective of the donkey: a cross that would cause him to stumble can follow any to.