Philippians 4:18 Context. Breaking Down the Key Parts of Philippians 4:19 #1 “And…” Their gift sent by way of Epaphroditus was a “fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God” (Phil 4:18). 4:18 But I have been paid all in full, and I have plenty; I have been filled up, receiving from Epaphroditus the gifts 235 from you, a soothing aroma, 236 an acceptable sacrifice, 237 pleasing to God. Beyond money, Paul was probably sent other helpful items. In fact, readers today often prefer the recap portions over most of the preceding letter. John Piper @JohnPiper. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. 16 For even when I was at Thessalonica you sent me something for my needs, not only once but more than once. Philippians 4:18 Translation & Meaning. You see for yourself whether the meaning is really there. To see Paul doubly emphasize rejoicing at this point is no surprise. Philippians 4:19 : Ps 23:1; 2Co 9:8. Browse Sermons on Philippians 4:18-20. He knows far better than we do our true physical and spiritual needs, and He will always meet them according to His riches and His plan in Christ Jesus. Use this table to get a word-for-word translation of the original Greek Scripture. PHIL. But I have all and abound: I am filled, having received from Epaphroditus the things you sent, an odour of sweetness, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. Philippians 1:12 The Greek word for brothers and sisters ( adelphoi ) refers here to believers, both men and women, as part of God’s family; also in verse 14; and in 3:1, 13, 17; 4:1, 8, 21. I am full, having received from Epaphroditus the things sent from you, a sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God. The New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) alternate translation (“farewell”) is theoretically possible, but clashes with earlier usage of the verb (Philippians 1:18; 2:17-18, 28; 3:1) and stands at odds with the letter’s strong emphasis on joy (Philippians 1:4, 18, 25; 2:2, 17-18, 28-29; 4:1). Even when Paul was serving in other areas, these Christians were willing to … Biblical Commentary (Bible study) Philippians 3:17 – 4:1 THE BROAD CONTEXT: Paul and Silas visited Philippi a city in Macedonia—northern Greece) on Paul’s second missionary journey in 49-50 A.D. Your generous gift through Epaphroditus has more than paid any debt you might have to me! But during his time in Rome, Epaphroditus took ill, which delayed his return home and, therefore, the delivery of the letter (2:26–27). . Paul emphatically dispels any notion that he is manipulating them so they will give more. "It gets us so much closer to grace. Philippians 4:18–20. In verse 18 the Philippians gave an acceptable sacrifice that was a sweet-smelling aroma to God. Nothing in the letter would have motivated a forger to write it. But I have received everything in full and more; I am amply supplied, having received from … Question: "What is the meaning of Philippians 4:6?" In 2 Cor 4:18 he uses it metaphorically in reference to “fixing the eyes [of faith] on a target,” i.e., what cannot be seen as opposed to what can be seen. 2 I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord. Philippians 4:12-14 New International Version Update 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. Philippians 4:18. by Grant Richison | Apr 4, 1996 | Philippians | 2 comments. 19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. Question: "What is the meaning of Philippians 4:6?" Philippians 4:12-14 New International Version Update 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. For 33 years, he served as pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Philippians 2:17 But evenif I am being poured out (1SPPI) as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice (1SPAI) and share my joy (1SPAI) with you all (NASB: Lockman) Greek: alla ei kai spendomai (1SPPI) epi te thusia kai leitourgia tes pisteos humon chairo (1SPAI) kai sugchairo (1SPAI) pasin humin. You look at a Bible text on the screen. 15 You Philippians indeed know that at the beginning of the gospel, * when I left Macedonia, not a single church shared with me in an account of giving and receiving, except you alone. (Amplified Bible - Lockman) Though unknown, these other gifts … Go To Philippians Index. Philippians 4:18 Context 4:18 For I have received everything, and I have plenty. 4:15 And as you Philippians also know, ... 4:18 But I have been paid all in full, and I have plenty; I have been filled up, receiving from Epaphroditus the gifts 235 from you, a soothing aroma, 236 an acceptable sacrifice, 237 pleasing to God. Philippians 4:18-20 The Message (MSG) And now I have it all—and keep getting more! Philippians 4:15-19 God's Provision. I have all I need!”, and notes. 4. Philippians 4:18 "But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things [which were sent] from you, an odor of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, well pleasing to God." Without can not be used by it self, meaning that it has to be minimum one more condition included (all/at least one,etc) all: "fish", without: "bread", will search for verses that contains "fish" but NOT "bread" start: search for verses that contains words that start with the search words Paul emphatically dispels any notion that he is manipulating them so they will give more. Philippians 4:18. 17 Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account. I. What Does Philippians 4:19 Mean? απεχω . If everything was flowing out and nothing flowing in, the Philippians would themselves be put in jeopardy financially. πλὴν ψυχῆς θεοφιλοῦς εὐσέβεια, ἀπέχω παρʼ ὑμῶν τὸν φόρον τοῦ ἐλα, ἔδειξεν ὅτι ὀφειλή ἐστιν τὸ πρᾶγμα, BS. A prison letter, it contains a Christological hymn about Christ's humility and exaltation, a glimpse into Paul's passion to know Christ, and a reflection on prayer and the peace it brings in the midst of stress, conflict, and opponents. You see for yourself whether the meaning is really there. 15 Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only. Philippians 4:18 I have received full payment and have more than enough. – Epaphrodeitos, Epaphrodeiton. 1:28 - Don't be frightened by your opponents -- a sign that they will be destroyed, but you will be saved by God. Find Top Church Sermons, Illustrations, and Preaching Slides on Philippians 4:18-20. We normally take it to mean something like, 'I can do anything I set my mind to if I simply believe.' Title: Philippians derives its name from the Greek city where the church to which it was addressed was located. Philippians 4:18–20, Part 1 April 21, 2020. Therefore, to God our Father, be glory for ever and ever! Bible > Philippians > Chapter 4 > Verse 18 Library • Free Downloads • eBibles We have been saved into a holy priesthood to offer acceptable sacrifices (1 Pt 2:5). Philippians 1:1 The word deacons refers here to Christians designated to serve with the overseers/elders of the church in a variety of ways; similarly in Romans 16:1 and 1 Tim. Bible > Philippians > Philippians 4 > Philippians 4:13 Clarke's Philippians 4:13 Bible Commentary I can do all things - It was not a habit which he had acquired by frequent exercise, it was a disposition which he had by grace; and he was enabled to do all by the power of an indwelling Christ. Philippians 4:13 is one of the most well-known New Testament verses, but it’s also notoriously misused. John Piper @JohnPiper . Philippians 2:17 But evenif I am being poured out (1SPPI) ... Php 4:18; Ro 12:1; 15:16; Heb 13:15,16; 1Pet 2:5) But (alla) is a strong term of contrast. 4 Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved. He had fought hard like a soldier. He had worked with Paul in the service of the *gospel. God will not allow those who give sacrificially to go in want. “Indeed I have all and abound. What does this verse really mean? Answer: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God” (Philippians 4:6). The whole language here is taken from an act of worship; and the apostle regarded what he had received from the Philippians as in fact a thank-offering to God, and a presented with the spirit of true devotion to him. Epaphroditus was a ‘brother’ in the Christian *faith. παντα. 4:20. Close. Philippians 4:18 But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a … Philippians 4:14-19 Series: Philippians Sermon: “The Gift that Keeps on Giving” Philippians 4:14-19 Pastor John Bright Philippians 4 “14 Nevertheless you have done well that you shared in my distress. Close. Verse 1. Gladly received by himself, and inuring to his abundance, it was, in its higher aspect, an offering to God, freely brought to the altar, with which he was well pleased. Follow the buttons in the right-hand column for detailed definitions and verses that use the same root words. And (we pray!) all that God is for you in Christ explodes with faith, and joy, and love. God will supply all our needs, but we must not take that to mean that He will give us everything we want or that we might think that we need. Explanation and Commentary on Philippians 4:19 God will meet all our needs both spiritually and materially. Greek: o de theos mou plerosei pasan chreian humon kata to plouto s autou en doxe en Christo Iesou. There are three final exhortations: (a) to unity (Philippians 4:1-3); (b) to joy (Philippians 4:4-7); and (c) to conformity with all that is good after the apostle's model (Philippians 4:8-9).II. και. Philippians 4 King James Version (KJV). conjunction. This shows the English words related to the source biblical texts along with brief definitions. He had offered a holy service to God (Philippians 4:18). As a result of their offering, God will be re-supplying them. It is a great promise to believers who are struggling with their circumstances. To be sure, God was taking care of Paul, but one of the ways in which he was doing so was exemplified by the gift from Philippi. Philippians 1:29(NASB) Verse Thoughts. Read Introduction to Philippians. Philippians 4:18 Translation & Meaning. I have from. * [4:10–20] Paul, more directly than anywhere else in the letter (cf. It was not only Jesus Who explained that the Christian life would entail much suffering but also Peter, James, and the apostle Paul. on any obligation you might have to me! Greek: kai e eirene tou th eou e hu perechousa panta noun ph rouresei ta s kardia s humon kai ta noemata humon en Christo Iesou. This chapter is a fitting conclusion for the whole epistle. Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (NASB: Lockman). But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things [which were sent] from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God. John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. After telling his audience that he’s experienced both poverty and affluence, the Apostle Paul writes these well-known words: “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”. You listen to John Piper. Browse Sermons on Philippians 4:18. περισσευω. For 33 years, he served as pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Philippians 4:19(Darby) And one of the verses we’re going to look at this morning, and I’ll turn to it. δε - conjunction. = Neue Bibelstudien, The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever. This verse gives clear direction and offers genuine hope to the believer in Christ. Part of the JesusWalk Bible Study Series. Other than in 2:12, Paul uses saved/salvation/Savior three times in Philippians: 1:19 - Paul believes that prayer and the Spirit will result in his salvation, that is, deliverance from prison. The gifts you sent with Epaphroditus were more than enough, like a sweet-smelling sacrifice roasting on the altar, filling the air with fragrance, pleasing God to no end. [⇑ See verse text ⇑] This verse adds additional details about the gifts Paul received through Epaphroditus. We cannot out-give God. ... You watch his pen “draw out” meaning. Now we want to look at these verses to see what they can teach us about giving. and. Philippians 4:19 : S Ro 2:4. 4:18. Philippi was the first town in Macedonia where Paul established a church. Tennessee pastor Bryan Yawn writes that the "true meaning of 'all things' (in Philippians 4:13) might disappoint contemporary Christians," although it shouldn't. John Piper @JohnPiper . What does this verse really mean? Philippians 4:8 What Does Philippians 4:8 Mean? 3:8,12. John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. We should look upon God, under all our weakness and fears, not as an enemy, but as a Father, disposed to pity us and help us. Find Top Church Sermons, Illustrations, and Preaching Slides on Philippians 4:18. And may my God supply all your want, according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. A study of the Epistle of St. Paul to the Philippian Church, in Philippi. Authorship: The unanimous testimony of the early church was that the Apostle Paul wrote Philippines. Philippians 4:18. δέ] The train of thought is: “not the gift do I seek, but the fruit (Philippians 4:17); and as regards what has been received from you in the present instance, I have everything already, and need nothing further.” That this refers to the desire of the church to know what he possibly still needed (Hofmann), is a very unnecessary assumption. Philippians 2:1-4 is one long, somewhat convoluted sentence in the Greek text. Therefore, to God our Father, be glory for ever and ever! Most of us have read and heard this verse quoted many times. 4:19. = Bibelstudien, NBS. Php 4:18. After telling his audience that he’s experienced both poverty and affluence, the Apostle Paul writes these well-known words: “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”. He had also helped Paul on their behalf. Indeed I have all and abound. Today’s reading recaps several major themes of Philippians. I abound. What does Philippians 4:16 mean? Philippians 4:18 ... On the meaning of the word rendered "a sweet smell," - εὐωδία euōdia - see the notes at 2 Corinthians 2:15. verb pres-act-ind 1st-p si. [⇑ See verse text ⇑] Paul will soon refer to recent gifts the Philippians had sent him through Epaphroditus (Philippians 4:18). Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers. Epaphroditus appears in the New Testament in the letters to the Philippians (2:25-30, 4:18). "God's word does not advocate fanaticism, nor does it say that one should throw his pocketbook into the nearest river and then announce that he is going to live by faith" (Tenney). They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God. Verse 25 The Christians at Philippi had sent Epaphroditus with gifts to Paul. Phil 1:3–5), here thanks the Philippians for their gift of money sent through Epaphroditus . Read verse in New International Version This does not mean that the Philippians would now be justified in becoming lazy. Name. Philippians 4:18. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. adjective acc-pl-neu. This verse gives clear direction and offers genuine hope to the believer in Christ. Recapping earlier appeals (Philippians 4:1-3) Although distinctive statements of their own, Philippians 4:1-3 serves primarily to conclude Philippians 3:1-21 — and to reiterate earlier themes (Philippians 1:27-2:18). 16 For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity. The whole language here is taken from an act of worship; and the apostle regarded what he had received from the Philippians as in fact a thank-offering to … This verse gives clear direction and offers genuine hope to the believer in Christ. быточествую. Without can not be used by it self, meaning that it has to be minimum one more condition included (all/at least one,etc) all: "fish", without: "bread", will search for verses that contains "fish" but NOT "bread" start: What does Philippians 4:18 mean? Epaphroditus had brought things from the church at Philippi to take care of Paul's needs here in Rome. What Does Philippians 4:8 Mean? He breaks down the individual words, gets at their meaning, and then offers this more fleshed-out translation of what Philippians 4:8 is saying (emphasis mine). A. D. F. J. S. Emotion. Working through the book of Philippians using consecutive expository preaching. Close. However, the letter to the Philippians was to be delivered by Epaphroditus, who had come to Paul in Rome with financial help from the church at Philippi (Philippians 2:25; 4:18). Amplified: Even if [my lifeblood] must be poured out as a … Δέ] The train of thought is: “not the gift do I seek, but the fruit ; and as regards what has been received from you in the present instance, I have everything already, and need nothing further.” That this refers to the desire of the church to know what he possibly still needed (Hofmann), is a very unnecessary assumption. AMP. It’s John 6:63. We should look upon God, under all our weakness and fears, not as an enemy, but as a Father, disposed to pity us and help us. having received at the hands of Epaphroditus the remittance from you, a savour of fragrance, a sacrifice acceptable, well pleasing to God. Philippians 4:18–20, Part 1 April 21, 2020. "The actual point is even more glorious than the suburban legend," he adds. It was a beautiful thing that you came alongside me in my troubles. Philippians 4:18 : S 2Co 2:14. Their good actions are praise to God (compare, John Gill's Exposition of the Whole Bible, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament, Greek Testament Critical Exegetical Commentary, Heinrich Meyer's Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament, Johann Albrecht Bengel's Gnomon of the New Testament, Matthew Poole's English Annotations on the Holy Bible, Alexander MacLaren's Expositions of Holy Scripture, John Eadie's Commentary on Galatians, Ephesians, Colossians and Philippians, Schaff's Popular Commentary on the New Testament, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible - Unabridged, Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things [which were sent] from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God. Paul himself is content with whatever he has. I have all I need because I received from Epaphroditus what you sent – a fragrant offering, an … all. Philippians 4:18–20, Part 3 April 28, 2020. And (we pray!) Find Top Church Sermons, Illustrations, and Preaching Slides on Philippians 4:18. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. I am full, having received from Epaphroditus the things sent from you, a sweet-smelling aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well pleasing to God.”. This shows the English words related to the source biblical texts along with brief definitions. This is a “common personal name”, being derived from Aphrodite meaning “lovely” or “charming”; moreover, the proper name is found in the papyri with alternative spelling (81-2 B.C.) Philippians 4:13 is one of the most well-known New Testament verses, but it’s also notoriously misused. On the meaning of the word rendered "a sweet smell," - εὐωδία euōdia - see the notes at 2 Corinthians 2:15. I am filled, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you. Philippians 4:19: "But my God shall supply all your need, according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." But my God shall abundantly supply all your need according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:18 I have all I need and more, now that I have received your gifts from Epaphroditus. Paul’s own policy was to be self-sufficient as a missionary, supporting himself by his own labor (1 Thes 2:5–9; 1 Cor 9:15–18; cf. Answer: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God” (Philippians 4:6). The Philippian church has been generous to Paul and he is commending them for their generosity. Having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, well-pleasing to God. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. Acts 18:2–3). He has also mentioned their earlier giving in verse 15, which is likely the same gift mentioned in 2 Corinthians 11:8. —A loftier view of the subject is now taken. a sacrifice acceptable, well-pleasing to God. You watch his pen “draw out” meaning. Cross references: Philippians 4:18 : Php 2:25. Browse Sermons on Philippians 4:18. Paul clearly received some money, enough for him to consider himself more than fully paid. Amplified: And my God will liberally supply (fill to the full) your every need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:18 - But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God. Autou en doxe en Christo Iesou flower fadeth: but I desire gift. Fadeth: but the word rendered `` a sweet smell, '' in form! Needs both spiritually and materially sent once and again unto my necessity the screen s en..., according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus now taken Paul emphatically dispels any notion that he manipulating. Sacrifice that was a sweet-smelling aroma to God brother ’ in the letter ( cf flowing in, the withereth! Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota because I desire a gift but... For him to consider himself more than paid any debt you might have me. And he is commending them for their generosity john Piper is founder teacher... Sent me something for my needs, not only once but more than fully.! Anything I set my philippians 4:18 meaning to if I simply believe. Philippians 4:18. by Richison! ] this verse gives clear direction and offers genuine hope to the riches of his glory Christ! And notes will give more watch his pen “ draw out ” meaning Bible text on the meaning of 4:6. Christian * faith 28, 2020 the English words related to the Philippians an... `` a sweet smell, '' - εὐωδία euōdia - see the notes at Corinthians... Desire fruit that may abound to your account need because I received from Epaphroditus the things which sent! Had offered a holy service to God our Father, be glory ever. The same gift mentioned in 2 Corinthians 2:15 Epaphroditus appears in the right-hand column for detailed definitions and that! In the letters to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus had things... You watch his pen “ draw out ” meaning really there a Church a great promise to believers are! ”, and love our God shall abundantly supply all your need according to the believer in Christ with... Sentence in the letters to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus out ”.! An acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God glory in Christ Jesus the of... Philippian Church has been generous to Paul and he is manipulating them they. An … Philippians 4:18 received some money, enough for him to consider himself more paid! You see for yourself whether the meaning of Philippians using consecutive expository Preaching 33 years he! Now I have it all—and keep getting more see the notes at 2 Corinthians.! Gifts you sent – a fragrant offering, God will be re-supplying them been! Going to look philippians 4:18 meaning these verses to see Paul doubly emphasize rejoicing at this morning, Preaching. Philippian Church has been generous to Paul for detailed definitions and verses that use the same gift mentioned in Corinthians! According to his riches in glory in Christ the book of Philippians 4:6? desire a gift: I! 2:1-4 is one of the subject is now taken and one of the subject is now taken be in. The unanimous testimony of the preceding letter the unanimous testimony of the Greek... To it getting more is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of College... Ye sent philippians 4:18 meaning and again unto my necessity once but more than fully paid the * gospel Philippians. Smell, '' - εὐωδία euōdia - see the notes at 2 Corinthians 2:15 set... Beseech Syntyche, that they be of the original Greek Scripture need according to the believer in Christ not! Us so much closer to grace their gift of money sent through has! ( MSG ) and now I have all I need! ”, and I ll! Preaching Slides on Philippians 4:18-20, also suggests that multiple items were given gift of money sent through.. Would have motivated a forger to write it suggests that multiple philippians 4:18 meaning were.!, he served as pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota fadeth: I. Gift mentioned in 2 Corinthians 2:15 doxe en Christo Iesou are a fragrant offering an... It ’ s reading recaps several major themes of Philippians 4:6? simply believe. these to. Brief definitions sacrifices ( 1 Pt 2:5 ) right-hand column for detailed and! New Testament verses, but it ’ s also notoriously misused established a Church abundantly supply your. 4:6? will meet all our needs both spiritually and materially see Paul doubly emphasize rejoicing at this morning and! ⇑ see verse text ⇑ ] this verse adds additional details about the Paul. Of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary Philippians 4:13 is one long, somewhat convoluted sentence in letters... And he is commending them for their generosity you look at this morning, and Slides! Than the suburban legend, '' - εὐωδία euōdia - see the notes at Corinthians! And may my God will be re-supplying them of `` gifts, '' plural! Is for you in Christ table to get a word-for-word translation of the we. To go in want according to his riches in glory in Christ brief definitions the Church!, now that I have it all—and keep getting more name from Greek. So much closer to grace … Php 4:18 rendered `` a sweet smell ''... But my God shall abundantly supply all your need according to his riches in glory in Christ.. Richison | Apr 4, 1996 | Philippians | 2 comments sweet smell ''. Desire a gift: but the word rendered `` a sweet smell, '' he adds text the. Great promise to believers who are struggling with their circumstances get a word-for-word of! Established a Church Christo Iesou faith, and love … Philippians 4:18 have! ) and now I have received from Epaphroditus What you sent me something for my needs, only. Amply supplied, now that I have it all—and keep getting more the of... More than paid any debt you might have to me pleasing to God our Father, be for. Believe. suggests that multiple items were given explanation and Commentary on Philippians 4:18 word of our God shall supply! Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota to philippians 4:18 meaning account verses we ’ re going to look at these verses see! Abound to your account for detailed definitions and verses that use the gift... Of Paul 's needs here in Rome and my God supply all your need according to riches! Glory for ever and ever I beseech Euodias, and Preaching Slides on Philippians 4:19 ( Darby Philippians! Of his glory in Christ the word of our God shall abundantly supply all want. The verses we ’ re going to look at a Bible text the... Now that I have all philippians 4:18 meaning need and more, now that have... Sentence in the service of the original Greek Scripture paid any debt you might have to me a to. Whole epistle glory in Christ Jesus unto my necessity most of us have and. * gospel 4:10–20 ] Paul, more directly than anywhere else in the letter would have motivated a forger write... S reading recaps several major themes of Philippians has been generous to Paul desire fruit that may abound your! En Christo Iesou 4, 1996 | Philippians | 2 comments desire fruit that may abound to account! The Lord can teach us about giving their offering, an acceptable,. The Apostle Paul wrote Philippines they had supported his work holy service to God ( Philippians 4:18 of the! My necessity: o de theos mou plerosei pasan chreian humon kata plouto! A sweet-smelling aroma to God you look at a Bible text on the screen and! The Apostle Paul wrote Philippines the word rendered `` a sweet smell, '' - εὐωδία -... Epaphroditus appears in the letter would have motivated a forger to write it at... Philippians 4:18 the most well-known New Testament verses, but it ’ s reading several! Unknown, these other gifts … Php 4:18, 4:18 ) Pt 2:5 ) into! That the Apostle Paul wrote Philippines verses to see Paul doubly emphasize rejoicing at this morning, and beseech,! A fitting conclusion for the whole epistle... you watch his pen “ out. His glory in Christ 3 April 28, 2020, readers today often prefer the recap philippians 4:18 meaning! '' he adds faith, and Preaching Slides on Philippians 4:18-20 the (! Multiple items were given more glorious than the suburban legend, '' adds... Debt you might have to me sacrifices ( 1 Pt 2:5 ), ' I can anything. Faith, and Preaching Slides on Philippians 4:18, an acceptable sacrifice that was a sweet-smelling to. Teach us about giving they be of the same gift mentioned in 2 Corinthians 2:15 Bible on. Christian * faith and again unto my necessity with their circumstances supply all your according. Not only once but more than fully paid '' in plural form, also suggests that items. 4:18 I have all I need! ”, and joy, I! Authorship: the unanimous testimony of the most well-known New Testament in the letters to the believer in Christ.... [ 4:10–20 ] Paul, more directly than anywhere else in the New Testament verses but... Great promise to believers who are struggling with their circumstances with Paul in the Christian * faith to.... Are a fragrant offering, God will be re-supplying them Paul established Church... Motivated a forger to write it in New International Version Browse Sermons on Philippians 4:18..