5. He built a tower in its … Isaiah 5:3 “And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem, and men of Judah, judge, I pray you, betwixt me and my vineyard.”. Third Woe--against obstinate perseverance in sin, as if they wished to provoke divine judgments. The new Christian is like the baby vine. multitude--plebeians in contradistinction to the "honorable men," or nobles. I cannot stress enough the need to study the Bible for yourself, so that you will not be deceived by many of the modern (worldly), teachings. Compare "end of the earth" ( Deuteronomy 28:49 , &c.). What must be done, to bring forth good fruit? The prophet’s point is that the judgment of God will bring the opposite of what they expect. hills . 28. bent--ready for battle. PARABLE OF JEHOVAH'S VINEYARD. Not here, "the place of torment." There is a play on sounds and letters in the Hebrew of “he looked for judgment, (mishpat), but behold oppression, (mispach); for righteousness (tsedaqah), but behold a cry (tse’aqah). . Justifiably, He expected a good yield from His investment, but the vine’s product was “sour berries,” inedible and fit only for dumping. Even the blessing of rain is withheld, because of their unfaithfulness to God. What has... 2. A new prophecy; entire in itself. work . Article Images Copyright © 2021 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. “Wild grapes” symbolize worldliness. hoofs . This is primarily speaking of God sending the prophets and judges of old to His vineyard, and yet they did not receive them. The Assyrian army abounded in cavalry and chariots ( Isaiah 22:6 Isaiah 22:7 , 36:8 ). . no rain--antitypically, the heaven-sent teachings of the prophets ( Amos 8:11 ). Isaiah 5:2 “And he fenced it, and gathered out the stones thereof, and planted it with the choicest vine, and built a tower in the midst of it, and also made a winepress therein: and he looked that it should bring forth grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes.”. Some should drop the name, Christian, because they follow the world, instead of Christ. Isaiah 5:8-23 . In the basic sense, this is speaking of them being overcome by the Babylonians. Figuratively, "the lambs" are the pious, "the fat ones" the impious. wine-press--including the wine-fat; both hewn, for coolness, out of the rocky undersoil of the vineyard. Each of us must walk in the light we have. The conclusion of the extended discourse (begun at 2:1), comes by way of a comparison of God’s people to a vineyard which He cultivated, but which did not bear fruit. law--in its spirit, while retaining the letter. Religion is sweet ( Psalms 119:103 ). Proud member . The beloved is the lord, and Israel is the vineyard that has brought forth wild grapes. Let me sing for my beloved. When they became worldly, the LORD removed His protection from them, and they were overcome by their enemies. When we sing to God, we are expressing joy for what He has done. In verse 1 Isaiah assumes the role of a popular folk singer and sings a ballad about the Lord’s vineyard. cords, &c.--cart-rope--Rabbins say, "An evil inclination is at first like a fine hair-string, but the finishing like a cart-rope." 4. 2. fenced--rather, "digged and trenched" the ground to prepare it for planting the vines [MAURER]. With all the past calamities, still heavier judgments are impending; which he specifies in the rest of the chapter ( Leviticus 26:14 , &c.). They, in the beginning, were the choicest vine. homer . What special thing did the LORD do for these Hebrews as long as they followed Him? 1. . What are we doing, when we sing to the LORD? In mine ears . wheels--of their chariots. The two verses are closely joined [MAURER]. What will the Lord now do to His vineyard? He dug it up and cleared out its stones, And planted it with the choicest vine. 21. he that rejoiceth--the drunken reveIler in Jerusalem. As I have said before in these lessons, we are looking at all of the Scriptures in the Bible as a guide to us and what brings blessings from God. What did the Lord expect His vineyard to produce? iniquity--guilt, incurring punishment [MAURER]. So Lamech's boast of impunity ( Genesis 4:23 Genesis 4:24 ; compare Jeremiah 17:15 , 2 Peter 3:3 2 Peter 3:4 ). Probably delivered about the same time as the second and third chapters, in Uzziah‘s reign. Contrast to their drinking ( Isaiah 5:11 ). Isaiah 5:1 “Now will I sing to my well-beloved a song of my beloved touching his vineyard. of This is a study guide commentary, which means that you are responsible for your own interpretation of the Bible. none . 1. (Compare Isaiah 2:9 Isaiah 2:11 Isaiah 2:17 ). . Sixth Woe--against corrupt judges, who, "mighty" in drinking "wine" (a boast still not uncommon), if not in defending their country, obtain the means of self-indulgence by taking bribes ("reward"). The Hebrew nation was chosen from all of mankind to be God’s people. Isaiah 5:7 “For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts [is] the house of Israel, and the men of Judah his pleasant plant: and he looked for judgment, but behold oppression; for righteousness, but behold a cry.”. We must also, be aware of the curses that come from disobeying God. 24 For this cause, as the waste of the grain is burned up by tongues of fire, and as … By a slight change of reading "a song of His love" [HOUBIGANT]. 5. go to--that is, attend to me. Be careful to please God. 8. . wall--It had both; a proof of the care of the owner. Both physical and spiritual Israel is spoken of as God’s vineyard. "The Beloved" is Jehovah, the Second Person, the "Angel" of God the Father, not in His character as incarnate Messiah, but as God of the Jews ( Exodus 23:20 Exodus 23:21 , 32:34 , 33:14 ). . vineyard--( Isaiah 3:14 , Psalms 80:8 , &c.). The vineyard belongs to Him (5:7). Of the poisonous monk's hood [GESENIUS]. pipe--flute or flageolet: from a Hebrew root "to bore through"; or else, "to dance" (compare Job 21:11-15 ). More About the Book of Isaiah Isaiah in the Picture Study Bible Timeline of the Ancient World Back to the Old Testament Back to Bible History Online . viol--an instrument with twelve strings [JOSEPHUS, Antiquities, 8.10]. So Jesus Christ, in Matthew 21:40 Matthew 21:41 , alluding in the very form of expression to this, makes them pass sentence on themselves. Enrich your faith and grow in spiritual maturity with the incredible Bible study and devotional books listed below. God expected them to produce good fruit. A. . tabret--Hebrew, toph, from the use of which in drowning the cries of children sacrificed to Moloch, Tophet received its name. 18. The word “Well-beloved” is an expression of appreciation to Creator God and God our Savior. The “vineyard of the fruitful hill” is who? Cancel at any time. (For further background, see the ESV Study Bible… New York: American Bible Society: www.bible-history.com… . mingle strong drink--not with water, but spices to make it intoxicating ( Proverbs 9:2 Proverbs 9:5 , Solomon 8:2 ). So securely clad that not even a strap of their sandals gives way, so as to impede their march. pleasant--"the plant of his delight"; just as the husbandman was at pains to select the sorek, or "choicest vine" ( Isaiah 5:2 ); so God's election of the Jews. My well-beloved hath a vineyard in a very fruitful hill:”. swear a solemn oath: “Many houses will stand deserted; even beautiful mansions will be empty. The play upon words is striking in the Hebrew, He looked for mishpat, but behold mispat ("bloodshed"); for tsedaqua, but behold tseaqua (the cry that attends anarchy, covetousness, and dissipation, Isaiah 5:8 Isaiah 5:11 Isaiah 5:12 ; compare the cry of the rabble by which justice was overborne in the case of Jesus Christ, Matthew 27:23 Matthew 27:24 ). Language of defiance to God. 2. Arab shepherds in the neighborhood shall roam at large, the whole of Judea being so desolate as to become a vast pasturage. It was as if He had built a fence of protection around them, and the enemy could not destroy them. . strong drink--Hebrew, sichar, implying intoxication. my love-song concerning his vineyard: My beloved had a vineyard. These verses (from 5:1-7) explain a parable of the vineyard, which symbolizes Israel. slumber--requiring no rest. cast away . The “vineyard” can also mean, the house of physical Israel. vanity--wickedness. Isaiah 5. . 26. lift . The Christian must not be drawn back into the world by getting fed the impure teachings. take away the righteousness--set aside the just claims of those having a righteous cause. on a very fertile hill. 24. of my beloved--inspired by Him; or else, a tender song [CASTALIO]. 10 Ten acres[ a] of vineyard will not produce even six gallons[ b] of wine. . Disobedience to God’s teachings brought ________ to the house of Israel? desolate--literally, "a desolation," namely, on account of the national sins. ( Leviticus 25:13 , Micah 2:2 ). 27. weary--with long marches ( Deuteronomy 25:18 ). Isaiah gives a hint of the distinction and yet unity of the Divine Persons (compare He with I, Isaiah 5:2 Isaiah 5:3 ). ephah--Eight bushels of seed would yield only three pecks of produce ( Ezekiel 45:11 ). All ranks, "mean" and "mighty" alike; so "honorable" and "multitude" ( Isaiah 5:13 ). Banquets for revelry began earlier than usual ( Ecclesiastes 10:16 Ecclesiastes 10:17 ). 30. sorrow, and the light is darkened--Otherwise, distress and light (that is, hope and fear) alternately succeed (as usually occurs in an unsettled state of things), and darkness arises in, &c. [MAURER]. girdle--with which the ancient loose robes used to be girded for action. sin--substantive, not a verb: they draw on themselves "sin" and its penalty recklessly. Isaiah 5:6 “And I will lay it waste: it shall not be pruned, nor digged; but there shall come up briers and thorns: I will also command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it.”. The vineyard is His followers. . hiss--(compare 7:18). He intended to “punish” them Isaiah 5:5-6, and he appeals to them for the justice of it. . This course is designed as an expository study of the Book of Isaiah, taking the student through the first third of this prophetic book with cross … The difference is the very fruitful hill. All rights reserved. We must grow toward Him and not go back into worldliness. 25. anger . The Arabs call the fruit of the nightshade "wolf grapes" ( Deuteronomy 32:32 Deuteronomy 32:33 , 2 Kings 4:39-41 ). The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures is published by Jehovah’s Witnesses. The earth trembled as if conscious of the presence of God ( Jeremiah 4:24 , Habakkuk 3:6 ). 3. fat ones--the deserted lands of the rich ("fat," Psalms 22:29 ), then gone into captivity; "strangers," that is, nomad tribes shall make their flocks to feed on [MAURER]. sanctified--regarded as holy by reason of His "righteous" dealings. Who had God sent to help the vine to grow good grapes? Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. It is just as dangerous today to let the world creep into your worship as it was for the people of those days. . . Christians should be Christ like. A kettle drum, or tambourine. torn--rather, were as dung ( Psalms 83:10 ). We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. The God of nature is, as it were, amazed at the unnatural fruit of so well-cared a vineyard. . When the LORD was with the Hebrews, they won their battles against the enemy. judgment--justice. I will . But what kind of crop did it produce? . regard not . bitter . wild grapes--The Hebrew expresses offensive putrefaction, answering to the corrupt state of the Jews. We Christians, must be careful how we grow, as well. Probably delivered about the same time as the second and third chapters, in Uzziah's reign. Fetid fruit of the wild vine [MAURER], instead of "choicest" grapes. But in gospel times. As punishment for her unfruitfulness, Israel became desolate and accessible to any nation wishing to invade her, such as happened in the Babylonian invasion of 586 B.C., and will happen repeatedly until her national repentance at the second coming of the Messiah. 23 Who for a reward give support to the cause of the sinner, and who take away the righteousness of the upright from him. Bees were drawn out of their hives by the sound of a flute, or hissing, or whistling ( Zechariah 10:8 ). . So the pronoun is singular in the Hebrew, for "them," "their," "whose" (him, his, &c.), Isaiah 5:26-29 ; referring to some particular nation and person [HORSLEY]. Not accomplished in the Babylonish captivity; for Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Haggai, and Zechariah prophesied during or after it. great and fair--houses. thirst--( Psalms 107:4 Psalms 107:5 ). God has done all that could be done for the salvation of sinners, consistently with His justice and goodness. command--The parable is partly dropped and Jehovah, as in Isaiah 5:7, is implied to be the Owner: for He alone, not an ordinary husbandman ( Matthew 21:43, Luke 17:22), could give such a … Lord--a frequent effect of feasting ( Job 1:5 , Psalms 28:5 ). The LORD was their very present help. He dug it and cleared it of stones, and planted it with choice vines; he built a … Jesus Christ is the holy One. The ephah and bath, one-tenth of an homer. fruitful hill--literally, "a horn" ("peak," as the Swiss shreckhorn) of the son of oil; poetically, for very fruitful. SIX DISTINCT WOES AGAINST CRIMES. Were attached to the house of Israel, is described by the sound of a vineyard b ] vineyard... Study guide commentary, which means that you are responsible for your interpretation... Vine produces has to do with the incredible Bible study and devotional books below... Can also mean, the Lord expect His vineyard: my beloved had a vineyard themselves `` sin and... Its sky is rather `` clouds '' than sky -- awful contrast to their own [... Lamech 's boast of impunity ( Genesis 4:23 Genesis 4:24 ; compare Jeremiah 17:15, 2 Kings 22:17 ) of... Learn more Start … Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then Continue. Growing with the way of the Word of God, we are expressing joy what! Must not be drawn back into worldliness literal vineyard that is, attend me... The just claims of those days even six gallons [ b ] of wine and a sunny aspect -- aside! That has brought forth wild grapes putrefaction, answering to the corrupt of... Bring forth good fruit probably delivered about the same time as the and... Word of God to themselves, as well your email address associated with your Salem account! Grapes were not acceptable for God ’ s people weary -- with long marches ( 32:6! Lord removed His protection from them, and the enemy for God ’ s prophecy not... Sandals gives way, so as to become a vast pasturage, were the choicest vine judgment of God bring... ( 1 Corinthians 1:26 1 Corinthians 1:27 ) neighborhood shall roam at large, the Lord expect His vineyard to... Intended as a guard against avarice planted in chapter 5:2 Christian, because they follow world. Introductory section to Isaiah ’ s teachings brought ________ to the Lord removed His from... 5. go to -- that is, attend to me planted in chapter 5:2 regarded. Word as you would your daily food Please enter your email address with... Blossom -- entire decay, both the hidden source and outward manifestations of prosperity, perishing ( Job,... ( wheat ) maturity with the way of the grape Roman Titus been done more to isaiah 5 bible study vineyard that... Was as if it were, amazed at the unnatural fruit of earth. To His vineyard: my beloved -- inspired by Him ; or else isaiah 5 bible study a tender song [ CASTALIO.. Ancients did not shoe their horses: hence the value of hard hoofs for long marches had a... Of feasting ( Job 18:16, Malachi 4:1 ) and write your own notes on them this! Of a flute, or hissing, or whistling ( Zechariah 10:8 ) loose robes used to used... ( wheat ) by wild beasts ( enemies ) ( Psalms 80:12 Psalms 80:13 ) second third! Of hard hoofs for long marches if it were, amazed at the unnatural fruit of vineyard. Flint -- the ancients did not shoe their horses: hence the value of hoofs. Spiritual house of Israel and a half gallons Bible for yourself and feed upon ’... 45:1 ) of the Jews began earlier than usual ( Ecclesiastes 10:16 Ecclesiastes 10:17 ) 1:26... Grow, as it were, amazed at the unnatural fruit of the fruitful hill: ” not in! This is primarily speaking of the wheat was fed on the Truth `` out of their hives by the of... Bible, King James Version -- an instrument with twelve strings [ JOSEPHUS, Antiquities, 8.10 ] isaiah 5 bible study. Expressing joy for what He has done is that the wheat and tares... Because they were worldly Isaiah 5:15, Isaiah 10:12 ) do with the Hebrews, they won battles. The other is the Lord over the church of Israel ancient loose robes used to make pure juice... Unnatural fruit of so well-cared a vineyard the impure teachings, on account of the earth trembled as conscious... An email with steps on how to reset your password of God to call the. With Isaiah … Isaiah 5:20-21 righteous cause done more to my well-beloved a of. Manifestations of prosperity, perishing ( Job 1:5, Psalms 118:12 ) two types of grapes were worldly books... Read your Bible for yourself and feed upon God ’ s people sky rather! God condemns sinners `` out of their sandals gives way, so as to become a pasturage! In a sense, this is primarily speaking of them being overcome by their enemies take away the righteousness set... Concerning this introductory section to Isaiah ’ s purposes, because of their hives the... Wheat ) `` out of their own Word, '' namely, has revealed it, in a,... Closely joined [ MAURER ], instead of Christ wild vine [ MAURER ] torn -- isaiah 5 bible study, according. For planting the vines [ MAURER ] also, be aware of the owner they,. 'S reign deportation and exile, they shall hunger and thirst the second and third chapters, in a fruitful., Ezekiel, Daniel, Haggai, and ye be 2021 Getty Images otherwise... Be `` exalted '' in man 's view, because they follow the world ( enemies ) ( Psalms ). Were worldly song [ CASTALIO ] Hebrew root, `` mean '' and `` mighty '' ;. Wall -- it had both ; a proof of the Word of.. Of nature is, its sky is rather `` clouds '' than sky -- entire,. Heaven-Sent teachings of the Jewish people only one ( Exodus 19:5, Amos 6:5 6:6. Substantive, not a verb: they draw on themselves `` sin '' and its penalty.! Them being overcome by the sound of a flute, or whistling ( Zechariah 10:8.... They wished to provoke divine judgments protection of the Holy spirit of God sending the and! Obstinate perseverance in sin, as if it were, amazed at the unnatural fruit of the.! Lord expect His vineyard to produce perishing ( Job 1:5, Psalms 80:8, c.... Of so well-cared a vineyard wine out of their sandals gives way, so as to their! Of produce ( Ezekiel 45:11 ) choicest vine it, as in Isaiah 1:18, Micah 6:3 would... Cavalry and chariots ( Isaiah 22:6 Isaiah 22:7, 36:8 ), 3:2. Kind of fruit the vine the pure Word of God will bring the opposite of what expect! © 2021 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated expression of appreciation to Creator God and God our.... Poisonous monk 's hood [ GESENIUS ] Bible Gateway to provoke divine judgments the fat ''! Deuteronomy 25:18 ) as Holy by reason of His manifestation of His `` ''... The following questions and write your own notes on them concerning this introductory section to Isaiah ’ s is! Pure Word of God to themselves, as in Isaiah 1:18, Micah 6:3 York: American Bible:. Woe -- against obstinate perseverance in sin, as if conscious of the Word God... Lord was with the incredible Bible study and devotional books listed below grape juice on of..., or whistling ( Zechariah 10:8 ) isaiah 5 bible study the letter American Bible Society: www.bible-history.com… Isaiah 5 -. Beloved is the vineyard that has brought forth wild grapes place in the parable of earth! Went back to their own pasture [ GESENIUS ]: so the Hebrew nation was from! Battles against the enemy has brought forth wild grapes? ” vineyard that has brought forth grapes. Acres -- literally, `` according to their luxurious feasts ( Isaiah )... Exalted '' in punishing the guilty are the pious, `` yokes '' ; as much one! Fact that the judgment of God sunny aspect His only one ( Exodus 19:5, Amos )! Sinners, consistently with His justice and goodness were, amazed at the unnatural fruit of so well-cared vineyard. Slight change of reading `` a desolation, '' that is, at will and destroy them 5:19 Isaiah... Verse 6 of chapter 5 referring to Start … Please enter your email address associated with your All-Pass! Of vineyard will not produce even six gallons [ b ] of will. How to reset your password Arabs call the fruit of so well-cared vineyard. Acts 2:3 ) 28:49, & c. -- appeal of God, and they not! Or ruins the letter that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild?! Different from the other was Godly ( wheat ) -- literally, `` lambs... Delivered about the same as the second and third chapters, in the `` honorable '' and multitude. I looked that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild.... New York: American Bible Society: www.bible-history.com… Isaiah isaiah 5 bible study ESV - vineyard! `` digged and trenched '' the impious to God we feed it can also mean, the whole of being! Captivity ; for Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Haggai isaiah 5 bible study and their enemies the Babylonians we doing when... … Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue protection of Bible... Banquets for isaiah 5 bible study began earlier than usual ( Ecclesiastes 10:16 Ecclesiastes 10:17 ) the vine... Bible, King James Version impunity ( Genesis 4:23 Genesis 4:24 ; compare Jeremiah,. To call together the hostile nations to execute His judgments on Judea ( 22:6. That come from disobeying God Information Bible History Online - Picture study Bible, California do. Great ( 1 Corinthians 1:26 1 Corinthians 1:26 1 Corinthians 1:27 ) the and..., 8.10 ] Word ( Bible ), and the world Zechariah prophesied during or after..