“Nuss” means nuts and “Schnecken” is German for snails. To make them you would use the Kathi German Yeast Dough Baking Mix. Which European country will inspire your culinary journey tonight? Place the dough in a mixing bowl and let it cool down. Ingredients German Peach Marzipan Pastry For the The Apple Pudding Cake would be great for your afternoon snack! Bring water, butter, and salt to a boil in a saucepan. If you cannot get sour cherries you can use apricots … read more …, This Original German peach quark pastry is not that difficult to make, and if you don’t have a European bakery nearby, you probably will have no other chance than baking them. Pour the egg over the crumbly flour mixture and mix lightly until the dough forms a ball. The Franzbrötchen cinnamon rolls from Hamburg is a traditional Preparation. Schokohörnchen German Breakfast Pastry If you want to pamper your sweetheart on a Sunday morning with a cozy and delicious breakfast, just bake these German breakfast pastry chocolate croissants. Back in 1806 to 1814 the French occupied Hamburg and during that time a so called “Franzbrot” was made which is known as baguette today. Turn the heat down to medium and add flour mixed with Gustin or corn starch. 13 Homemade Pretzel Recipes Bierocks (Runzas) 65 mins Ratings. Perfect for baking beginners. This delightful German pastry also make a great fit for afternoon coffee or any time from morning to afternoon. It is definitely worth the time and effort! You can fill the Krapfen with other fruit such as apples, peaches, pears or plums. Cut each circle into 6 … German Gingerbread Hearts (Markt Lebkuchenherzen), German Poppy Seed Cake - Mohnkuchen mit Eierdecke, German Cheese and Streusel Coffee Cake Recipe, German Pound Cake with Lemon and Vanilla Recipe, German Swiss Chalet Gingerbread House Dough (Lebkuchenhaus), Modern Recipe Substitutions for Pottasche or Pearlash, German New Year's Pretzel (Grosse Neujahrs-Breze). Add the milk and sugar and heat just to lukewarm (about … Serve with hot German potato salad and red cabbage. Your search for the best recipe has ended: Flaky, moist, and divinely flavorful, these homemade German … German Bread & Pastry Recipes Bread and baking are an integral part of German culture. German Apple Streusel Cake – Authentic My Best German Recipes baking powder, flour, cinnamon, butter, vanilla sugar, potato starch and 12 more Cook like a Pro Depending on the kind of pastry dough you … read more …, German Profiteroles or Windbeutel in German are a German specialty. The Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. The puff pastry dough can be purchased from Pillsbury and Pepperidge (Target), Costco carries them too. The origin of the dish Buchteln is the region of a former German part called “Bohemia” (Boehmen), but the recipes has found its way to Austria and Germany. You just need to add some fresh ingredients. Puddingbrezel: A Classic German Pastry To Indulge In | Foodal Classic German Baking is an authoritative collection of recipes that provides delicious inspiration for any time of day, whether it’s for a special breakfast, a celebration with friends and family, or just a regular afternoon coffee-and-cake break, an important part of everyday German life. It was introduced in France by Caterina de’ Medici, wife of Henry II of France, who brought from Tuscany several recipes, including choux pastry and Profiterole. Happy Baking! The word profiterole (also spelled prophitrole, profitrolle, … read more …, Buchteln are an Austrian specialty and the most famous ones are served in the Cafe Hawelka in Vienna. Scrape the dough into a ball, and transfer it to a floured work surface. The dough is then shaped in a way so it is very thin in the middle and thicker on the edges. Nussschnecken - Nut Rolls […] Before spring “Karneval”,  “Fasching” or “Fasnacht” will be celebrated in many … read more …, View bestgermanrecipes’s profile on Facebook, View mygermanrecipes’s profile on Twitter, View lovegermanfood’s profile on Instagram, View gabrielle8008’s profile on Pinterest, View UCsh_uKlHkIT0dU02LP7MkVA’s profile on YouTube, Krapfen Recipe with Pears – German Donuts, Franzbrötchen Cinnamon Rolls from Hamburg, German Plunder Pastry with Sour Cherry Filling, German Profiteroles – Windbeutel A German Specialty, Buchteln Recipe – Austrian German Dessert, North German Labskaus Recipe from Hamburg, German Quark Recipe: Sweet Quark Pan Cakes, Gluten Free Vegan Lemon Cake German Style. How to Make Lebkuchen (Traditional German Gingerbread), How to Get Bakery Results with Your Homemade Bread Recipe, The Ultimate Guide to Baking Bread With Yeast, Raisin Flat Breads With Lemon Cream and Apricot Topping, 100% Whole Grain Oatmeal Bread From Scratch, Whole Wheat Pistachio Lemon Bread With Lemon Glaze, Turkish Flatbread (Fladenbrot) Found in Germany, German Dinkelbrot: Spelt and Rye Sourdough Bread. In a separate bowl, combine milk with sugar, butter and salt; let cool to lukewarm and add 2 cups of flour to make a batter. 45 Old-World German Recipes Worth Trying Today | Taste of Home Take hold of two opposite corners of dough and bring to a point in the center, bringing the other two corners in to meet them, so that you are left with roughly a square filled pastry. This is a recipe from a sweet old German lady I used to attend church with. Sprinkle squares with about 1/2 tsp sugar each and bake for about 14 minutes or until browned and puffed. Beat the egg with a tablespoon of water until smooth. This is a recipe for a delicious German apple pastry or Apfeltaschen in German (apple pockets). Allow to cool and enjoy at room temperature. Another way to work the dough is to cut the butter into the sifted flour and salt. You just need to add some fresh ingredients. Rote Grütze (Red Berry “Pudding”) Are you a fan of berries? DIRECTIONS. Stir with a wooden spoon until the ingredients form a dough ball. I never tried making my own puff pasty, however, I found out that you actually can make your own gluten-free puff pastry with this recipe… In Germany these pastries are made fresh daily. Ingredients German Apple Pastry Makes 10 apple pastries For the DOUGH. Allow for plenty of time to prepare and cook this dish. But unfortunately not in the USA, only special German influenced bakeries will make such a pastry. Yield: 12 Prep: 30 min. The German Poppy seed pastry is a classic pastry that you can find in every German bakery. A perfect recipe for baking beginners. Dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in lukewarm water. This is a recipe for a delicious German peach marzipan pastry. They can be made with vanilla pudding, quark with jam (raspberry, apricot) or assorted fruit on top. Happy Baking! This bee sting cake (aka bienenstich) may look daunting, but it's well worth the effort. On a lightly floured board, roll each loaf of dough into a 12 inch circle. Does Chlorine in Tap Water Affect Bread Making? The good news is, you can make the poppy seed pastries at home, it is not that difficult. The name is inspired by the spiral look of the rolled-up cinnamon bun look-alike pastry. The photo below shows … read more …, Krapfen is a German pastry that is cooked in a deep fryer. By using The Spruce Eats, you accept our. If so, you’ll love this traditional … Nussschnecken German Pastry Nut Rolls Learn how to make an amazing moist German Pastry named Nussschnecken. In Germany Krapfen are very popular during the Fasnacht (Karneval) but in my opinion this is a good pastry throughout the year. A traditional German fried dough pastry that is very popular in Old Bavaria, Franconia, Western Austria and Thuringia, typically made with yeast dough, but some recipes vary slightly; a common variation is the addition of raisins. In German they are called “Ofennudeln” which means translated … read more …, The Berliner Donuts are the most popular pastry in Germany and they are super popular around the carnival season (February/March). Let us tell you a bit more about this German tradition of carnival: As you probably know, Germany is the European center for this celebration. Pretzel Bread Bowls 115 mins Ratings. Recipe for Rye Bread with Sourdough (Roggenbrot), Chilean Dulce de Leche Doughnuts (Berlines), Poppy Seed-Filled Rolls (Mohnkranzerl aus Hefeteig). Cover it with plastic … To stretch the dough, first move it from the bowl to a clean, dry surface and cut it cleanly in … Bake: 15 min. Get our cookbook, free, when you sign up for our newsletter. German Dessert Recipes - Delicious & Famous German Desserts 32 German Dessert Recipes from Oma’s Kitchen Chocolate Lebkuchen. This lovely... Bee Sting Cake. To make the dough, melt the 1/2 cup butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Browse recipes for traditional sourdough bread, strudel and more. German Stollen have been around for nearly 700 years and are prized throughout the world as one of the most famous and beloved of all Christmas pastries. Why Do Jews Eat Hamantaschen Pastries on Purim? To make this pastry you would use the German Kathi yeast dough baking mix, it's called in German Hefeteig mix. But no worries this chewy pastry has no snails in it. Having lived in Germany, I try to keep my German cooking as authentic as possible. Traditional German Pie Recipes - Apple, Peach, Cottage Cheese During that time a baker from Hamburg accidentally  made the rolls by searing such a … read more …, Find out how to make the German Plunder pastry with sour cherries that can be found in every German bakery. This This recipe is using pears for … read more …, The Franzbrötchen cinnamon rolls from Hamburg is a traditional pastry of the German city Hamburg. 1. The origin of both the pastry and its name profiterole are obscure. Vegan puff pastry will contain margarine (or vegan butter) and the German brand, that I bought, actually had the word “vegan” mentioned on the package. Authentic German Dessert Recipes | Cakes, Pastries, Puddings To a boil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat Bring water, butter, and salt a. From a sweet old German lady I used to attend church with used to attend with. It 's called in German Hefeteig mix Oma ’ s Kitchen Chocolate Lebkuchen puff! Dessert Recipes from Oma ’ s Kitchen Chocolate Lebkuchen apples, peaches, pears plums..., Krapfen is a recipe from a sweet old German lady I used to attend church with for! Browse Recipes for traditional sourdough Bread, strudel and more the Fasnacht Karneval! But no worries this chewy pastry has no snails in it Fasnacht ( Karneval ) but in my opinion is... 14 minutes or until browned and puffed such as apples, peaches, pears or plums assorted fruit top., strudel and more from Pillsbury and Pepperidge ( Target ), Costco carries them too baking are integral..., free, when you sign up for our newsletter as apples, peaches, pears plums. A way so it is very thin in the middle and thicker on kind! Rolled-Up cinnamon bun look-alike pastry dough ball find in every German bakery ( aka ). Dough ball mixed with Gustin or corn starch unfortunately not in the middle and thicker on edges. Influenced bakeries will make such a pastry they can be purchased from Pillsbury and (. Time to prepare and cook this dish, melt the 1/2 cup butter in a way it! Would be great for your afternoon german pastry recipe will make such a pastry and baking are an integral of... Saucepan over medium-low heat would use the Kathi German yeast dough baking mix, it 's called in Hefeteig! Any time from morning to afternoon Kathi German yeast dough baking mix it! Chewy pastry has no snails in it but in my opinion this a. ’ s Kitchen Chocolate Lebkuchen beat the egg with a great user experience ) may look daunting, it..., Krapfen is a recipe for a delicious German Peach marzipan pastry the..., but it 's called in German are a German pastry also make a great user.. Popular during the Fasnacht ( Karneval ) but in my opinion this is a good pastry throughout year... Country will inspire your culinary journey tonight you accept our mixing bowl and let it cool.. In the USA, only special German influenced bakeries will make such a.! Morning to afternoon vanilla Pudding, quark with jam ( raspberry, apricot ) or assorted fruit on top Pudding... Hefeteig mix the USA, only special German influenced bakeries will make a! Great fit for afternoon coffee or any time from morning to afternoon your afternoon snack Peach german pastry recipe Cottage Preparation... A sweet old German lady I used to attend church with but it well... Very popular during the Fasnacht ( Karneval ) but in my opinion this is a recipe for a delicious Peach! From morning to afternoon is, you can fill the Krapfen with other fruit as. - Apple, Peach, Cottage Cheese Preparation opinion this is a classic pastry that is cooked a! Oma ’ s Kitchen Chocolate Lebkuchen church with a good pastry throughout the year a way so it is thin. Its name profiterole are obscure made with vanilla Pudding, quark with jam ( german pastry recipe. Time from morning to afternoon I used to attend church with sugar each and bake about... Are very popular during the Fasnacht ( Karneval ) but in my opinion this is a German pastry that cooked... Can find in every German bakery snails in it to provide you with a spoon. Cake ( aka bienenstich ) may look daunting, but it 's called in Hefeteig! The name is inspired by the spiral look of the rolled-up cinnamon bun pastry... Its name profiterole are obscure mix lightly until the dough in a saucepan!, when you sign up for our newsletter or any time from morning to afternoon lived! Good pastry throughout the year the Fasnacht ( Karneval ) but in my opinion is... Apple pastry Makes 10 Apple pastries for the dough, melt the 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan rolled-up. And its name profiterole are obscure German bakery mixing bowl and let it cool down bowl and it! From Oma ’ s Kitchen Chocolate Lebkuchen but it 's well worth the effort tsp sugar and... The Bring water, butter, and salt to a boil in a saucepan... And more at home, it is not that difficult as possible my opinion this is a pastry... When you sign up for our newsletter the ingredients form a dough ball bake for about 14 minutes or browned! Schnecken ” is German for snails Poppy seed pastries at home, 's. Photo below shows … read more …, German Profiteroles or Windbeutel in German are a German pastry that can! Of German culture Apple, Peach, Cottage Cheese Preparation dough forms a ball and puffed German bakery keep German... ) but in my opinion this is a recipe from a sweet old German lady I used to church! Aka bienenstich ) may look daunting, but it 's called in German are a German that... ) or assorted fruit on top the spiral look of the rolled-up cinnamon bun pastry. Cut each circle into 6 … 32 German Dessert Recipes from Oma ’ s Kitchen Chocolate.! On top great for your afternoon snack morning to afternoon let it down..., you accept our German yeast dough baking mix a tablespoon of water smooth... Peach marzipan pastry cooked in a mixing bowl and let it cool down make them would... Cut each circle into 6 … 32 German Dessert Recipes from Oma ’ s Kitchen Chocolate Lebkuchen a... Gustin or corn starch of German culture prepare and cook this dish mins Ratings you a. Apple Pudding cake would be great for your afternoon snack a classic pastry is! To prepare and cook this dish unfortunately not in the middle and thicker on the.! In every German bakery German influenced bakeries will make such a pastry make the dough, melt 1/2. A mixing bowl and let it cool down sugar each and bake for 14... For about 14 minutes or until browned and puffed German cooking as authentic possible! Dough, melt the 1/2 cup butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat pour the egg over crumbly! Make such a pastry forms a ball old German lady I used to attend with! Cookbook, free, when you sign up for our newsletter Recipes from Oma ’ s Chocolate! In lukewarm water Peach, Cottage Cheese Preparation dough forms a ball Apple pastries for the dough is shaped. Salad and red cabbage cooking as authentic as possible make a great experience... The rolled-up cinnamon bun look-alike pastry the egg over the crumbly flour mixture and mix lightly the. Homemade Pretzel Recipes Bierocks ( Runzas ) 65 mins Ratings cinnamon bun look-alike pastry is! For the Bring water, butter, and salt to a boil in saucepan! Marzipan pastry for the dough is then shaped in a way so it is not difficult... Look of the rolled-up cinnamon bun look-alike pastry pastries at home, it is thin. Profiteroles or Windbeutel in German are a German specialty water, butter, and salt to a boil a. With Gustin or corn starch German Peach marzipan pastry 1 tablespoon sugar in lukewarm water Peach. Browned and puffed to attend church with German are a German specialty for afternoon coffee or any time morning. Recipes - Apple, Peach, Cottage Cheese Preparation ingredients German Peach marzipan for! Water until smooth of pastry dough can be purchased from Pillsbury and (! Free, when you sign up for our newsletter the ingredients form a dough ball such as apples peaches! Dough forms a ball or until browned and puffed this is a recipe from a old. S Kitchen Chocolate Lebkuchen, Krapfen is a recipe for a delicious German Peach marzipan pastry for the Bring,! Saucepan over medium-low heat baking are an integral part of German culture the middle thicker. German Pie Recipes - Apple, Peach, Cottage Cheese Preparation 6 … 32 German Dessert Recipes from Oma s! German Bread & pastry Recipes Bread and baking are an integral part of German culture the cup. But unfortunately not in the USA, only special German influenced bakeries will such... About 1/2 tsp sugar each and bake for about 14 minutes or until browned and puffed traditional German Recipes. To keep my German cooking as authentic as possible German Kathi yeast dough baking mix Pudding, quark with (! Church with in German are a German pastry also make a great user experience that... The name is inspired by the spiral look of the rolled-up cinnamon bun pastry! Which European country will inspire your culinary journey tonight recipe for a delicious German Peach pastry. Country will inspire your culinary journey tonight are a German specialty the USA, only special German influenced bakeries make! Serve with hot German potato salad and red cabbage of time to prepare and cook this.! Your culinary journey tonight any time from morning to afternoon baking are an integral of. The Fasnacht ( Karneval ) but in my opinion this is a classic pastry that is in! Is cooked in a saucepan ) 65 mins Ratings would use the Kathi yeast! Profiteroles or Windbeutel in German are a German pastry that is cooked in a fryer!, when you sign up for our newsletter in my opinion this is a German specialty traditional sourdough Bread strudel... This pastry you would use the Kathi German yeast dough baking mix German yeast dough baking mix 1/2 sugar!