Bordering the Lower East Side, the East Village has its fair share of live music venues and has a vibrant nightlife. I for one would much prefer that to sitting in Madison Sq Park or Union Sq Park on a hot Saturday.". For better or for worse, the EV is becoming more and more the gentrified neighborhood mirror of West Village. Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort: Second visit, still great! keiko, what did you decide upon? The service is ridiculously slow, the prices are stupidly high, the portions are small, the food is mediocre, it … That said, the West Village is a great place tooo. there are areas in each that i love and areas in each that i don't..be more specific on the locations u r choosing between. Would close access to the piers around Christopher for example for sunbathing, strolling, jogging be a plus? vkuch1, have you been living in the EV since 09? The following is a re-post originally written in 2011: Word that the West Village’s 75 1/2 Bedford Street is back on the market always brings attention to the slender house in which Enda St. … The West Village on the other hand is pretty to look at I will give you that (although I'll put some Stuyvesant square/gramercy blocks up against anything in the WV. When people say "the Village" do they mean anywhere in West/Greenwich/East Village, or specifically one of those three? Ah, falcogold: That's the age when we start to get too pooped to party all night. Doesn't bother me, reminds me of kids I knew growing up. Btw, when I was returning from my pharmacy with my meds, I encountered a group of "Methadonians" (they seem to be very common in the Gramercy/Union Sq area...F'ed up white kids. 7 Hot Rentals in NYC's Top Neighborhood to Watch. We didn't hit Studio 54 until midnite. unless u just always need validation for every little decsion u make. Don't listen to these people who grew up on a farm in Vermont and now live in the village and think its cool; having people blasting garbage music day and night; beggars; several large housing projects everywhere; inconvenient transportation etc. Please [read the sidebar](/r/AskNYC/about/sidebar) before posting! ie i really wouldn't wanna be in the triangle below Hudson/W. I for one would much prefer that to sitting in Madison Sq Park or Union Sq Park on a hot Saturday. IMO The west village is a just a bit too postcard perfect. In terms of Greenwich Village vs West Village, they can sometimes be synonymous as the West Village encompasses the western part of Greenwich Village (debatably west of 7th Avenue). Not exactly a typical perimenapausal experience (and something I hadn't done since the Carter administration). Press J to jump to the feed. When the Village had its own home grown junkies) For a brief instant I wondered how much they would pay me for what was in my bag....Or worse, how quickly they would mug me for me. ( One of them thought that it was named after Nat. This may may have contributed to me calling it a (Hall of Fame if I could say so myself) career sooner than expected. West Dallas is an area consisting of many communities and neighborhoods in Dallas, Texas, United States.West Dallas is the area bounded by Interstate 30 on the south, the Trinity River on the east and north, and the Trinity River's West Fork on the west. I bought, but the cost difference was ASTOUNDING. In modern usage, I'm fairly sure it's "the Village" if it's Greenwich Village, which seems to be defined as "6th Ave to Broadway, Houston to 14th Street." It's now officially time to kick off Round 2, which puts The Lower East Side up against The West Village. The banning of music in Washington square park, the protests, the bad Robert Moses days, rebelling against the man, etc. West village - around Bank Street, W 11th St and W 4th St. 4. Still in pain. We are not up to that. For example, if you live on Avenue A and 8th st, it sounds like a pain to commute to work. Word that the West Village’s 75 1/2 Bedford Street is back on the market always brings attention to the slender house in which Enda St. Vincent Millay is said to have written “my candle burns … Very distinct and different feels. what are thr asking prices and sizes of your apartment selections? Jackie Liles and Seth Wolske work at the Village Bakery, which has been in downtown West since the 1950s. i mean do u need help deciding whether or not to put on underwear in the morn. They have jacuzzi tubs, full kitchens, and are comfortable and spaceious (as are all rooms at this resort with the exception of the studios). Access to Chelsea Piers, etc. We walked over to The St.Regis, and had coctails in The King Cole Room. I think not. You sound single and young. Greenwich village is the entire village. At the same time, there are less housing units on the west side, which partially explains why the west side is more expensive everywhere than the east side. I think if you're an East Village person, you should take the Gramercy studio, because it will be easier to get to your old haunts than if you go live on the West Side. (Baruch and, ironically, the Police Academy bring a steady stream of young people of color). Then again if you find family picnics, teaching kids baseball and teenage hanging out discomforting, please go back to whatever lily white pad you were born on. Weeknights, too. If I get home really late (2-4a.m)I have to sleep it off the entire next day. wow seems like it sucks everwhere now. Nicely landscaped bike and jogging areas, comfortable benches, wonderful open water views (and Brooklyn views) it attracts runners, bikers, walkers, dog walkers, young lovers and some older Latino men fishing off the rails in the East River (I hope they catch and release, especially near the Con Ed plant). It has it's own flavor and personality with a little bit of the feel of the old days. don;t count out holistic approaches too : ). We stayed in the east village … i feel with west village, it's more dependent on street. 3. Gramercy is an absolutely wonderful neighborhood that is convenient to everything so all the "fun" you could wish for is close at hand but its relatively quiet when you want to sleep. Fourth generation NYer piping in: this is really the answer if you're taking about the historic village, hippies, flower children, folk music, Bob Dylan,etc. Being a resident of the West Village I'll tell you what the difference is. loved brunch on ave A, the charm and grit of thompskin square park (is it still there?). What we call the East Village today was originally called the Lower East Side and wasn't part of Greenwich Village. Try something new. Greenwich village is west village, more or less. Does being closer to Hudson River Park matter to you? Marais – West Village… I'll go back to the Meatpacking District from time to time to enjoy the sunsets from the High Line, the pretty tree-lined and cobblestone streets, and pay homage to my old neighborhood bar, but I'm not going to miss all of the pretentious boutiques, hipsters and chaos over there. Nice to know I was born in a "Golden Moment" for my native 'hood. "The Village" typically references collectively both the areas known as "Greenwich Village" and the "West Village". Live where the action is. But moxie is right -- know what you're getting into. It's flavor is decidedly different from its neighbors Greenwich Village (West Village… West village … Interesting article on the gentrification issue, especially wrt to the WV: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/print/2010/06/gentrification-and-its-discontents/8092. Houston/West 4th/ or what i like to call TriBeHudHouWest as it get's way too touristy in the weekends for my likings. The West Village District is a walkable urban village in the Uptown area of Dallas, Texas.West Village is located at the northern edge of Uptown along McKinney Avenue and is bordered by Lemmon Avenue, Cole Avenue, Haskell Drive and Central Expressway.West Village … Although, recently I came across someone who did mean the EV when mentioning the village so I have no idea what kids are up to these days. I've been living here for almost 3 years, and I still have no idea. London’s Old East Village is adding an iconic hotel chain to its growing list of attractions. Welcome to The Village, a neighborhood in Dallas, Texas offering one, two and three bedroom apartments. Shake it up, you young whippersnappers! The Meatpacking District is a small section adjacent to the West Chelsea lies to its north, and the South Village … The East Village is one of the few places in Manhattan that is hanging onto some character and hasn’t been completely gentrified. That area and union square are as packed as the meatpacking district. East vil depite all its gentrification is still a ghetto. Although, recently I came across someone who did mean the EV when mentioning the village so I have no idea what kids are up to these days. East Village and West Village are just East [Greenwich] Village and West [Greenwich] Village, no? And when it’s all said and done throw them a hundo and tell them you got work in the morning making big money and to go hail a cab . But my eyes have been opened and the neighborhood has changed and will only continue to go up. A couple of my friends from Telluride are in town and they are in their early 30's. the E. Village & the W. Village. Greenwich Village, often referred to by locals as simply "the Village", is a neighborhood on the west side of Lower Manhattan, New York City. Wow, I think that place is ass. I'm not interested in going out to a show, unless I know who's playing. Though the West Village has a nightlife scene, one thrives in the East Village, making it a weekend destination for young people across the greater New York area. I actually agree with the author that Jane Jacobs et al are as responsible for gentrification, particularly in the WV as I am less qualified to speak to other areas, as Marc Jacobs. The young, artsy, still up-and-coming Bastille neighborhood where the Revolution ceremoniously began (well, for some) reflects the same vibe you get walking through the gentrifying East Village – although Bastille is much better serviced by the subway system. and I need a seat, no standing up all night. And the last dude I saw sunbathing in Union Square had his last bath some time around 1986. liz i will you always love you! brokerage license in multiple states. I agree that west village is block by block. Stay on the east side if you are addicted to the Green Market, Trader Joes or Whole Foods. I know Hudson River Park gets all the pub but there is a a really nice park that goes from below Houston Street to around 34th on the East Side. If you are looking for quiet, I suggest getting an upstairs apartment room in Village West building 5, 6, or … The differnence between East and North are simple. Word that the West Village’s 75 1/2 Bedford Street is back on the market always brings attention to the slender house in which Enda St. … If you want that, you can have it but it should be cheaper. Once upon a time, it was all just Greenwich Village. I have lived in the East Village for many years, and it has changed dramatically over time. Originally Greenwich Village extended from 14th Street to Houston Street, and from the Hudson River to 5th Avenue. I agree - if you are indifferent to the East Village vs. West Village, go East Village. for you....east beats west. I'm afraid I threw in the towel a little early...think it was mid-40s. Gramercy area is really quiet on weekend nites while many many parts of the WV are noisy and traffic-filled (and beware of PATH stations). Always associated "the Village" with the area around NYU, and some of what people call the West Village. Thanks Glamma. It should be cheaper. StreetEasy is a brand and registered trademark of Zillow, (Mind if I ask your age, falcogold?). Below 14th is East River park which has always been there but has been refurbished. Wasn't that crazy about it for the same money I'd take it. The east village is more diverse, vibrant and neighborhoody (now that the hipsters have migrated to LES or W-Burg). McGuire wasted no time, printing out signs to … Inc. Zillow, Inc. has a real estate Truth..I'm sure you remember, as do I and we are the same vintage, when if there was something unmissable on SNL in the prehistoric, pre-DVR days, you would go out AFTER SNL was finished. (You should have heard my parents and neighbors LOL at that one.) 2. East village is technically all east of Fifth Avenue and West Village is all west of Seventh or where the streets go off the north south grid. Funny enough, in my experience there's no consensus on where "West Village" actually starts. North and East Village are exactly the same decor and floor plans. Don't give me this BS NY grit. So, I don't run from the action that's interesting to me. Not to mention you might want to tell the sunbathers and strollers in Madison Square park that they don't exist. East village / alphabet city (?!) Glamma darling you know I love you but I think you may have had a side car too many last night. That was when clubs were great, instead of the B.S. 2. Grammercy has the culture of a Long Island town complete with a strip mall on 2nd ave and big box stores and all. Plus it's cheaper and has a … If the same basic apartment is the same price in Gramercy vs. West Village, it means that the place in Gramercy is overpriced. I lived in the East Village for 11 years and never knew anyone who called the East Village "the village", it was always seen as a west village thing. I walked back home and watched Sat.Night. EV is nice if you like homeless people, dog piss/poop on the sidewalks, lots of noise and overpriced small apts. Thanks Malthus for the link. I consider the "West Village" to be anything west of 6th Ave between Houston and 14th, though I accept this makes little sense historically. So for the time being its medication. It is the birthplace of both the Beat and ’60s counterculture … The East Village is where I've been living for the past 3 years and my favorite neighborhood in Manhattan. Walkable to over a dozen restaurants and shops, endless green space, and a resident exclusive fitness center and country club - The Village … if you like good affordable Japanese food, i would not even consider west. bottle-service $300 bottles of Vodka rip-off. The east village is more diverse, vibrant and neighborhoody (now that the hipsters have migrated to LES or W-Burg). hope your back is feeling better!! You should be getting much more bang for your buck in Gramercy. East village if you're thinking of punk days like sex pistols and cbgb, west village if gay centric, Christopher street is your thing. I would 100% go for the East Village. The following is a re-post originally written in 2011:. The heart of it being Washington sq park. 1. Do you hate the mess that is 6th Ave near w4th as much as most people do? The meathead guys and SATC girls can be just as bad in certain parts of it, but of course it's wonderful in other ways. It seems like more trees are being planted, more expensive condos are going up, and the old tenement-style buildings with the long-term residents are really beginning to restoring their exteriors' charm. Actually, I walked from the action. Better to live near a park that you're not privileged enough to have access to, another one filled with depressing snoring geriatrics, and a third teeming with NYU students playing bad folk music and grating skateboards all over the place. But I agree w Moxie - the specific area makes a huge difference. Thats really a draw? The food is outrageously good and it still has a bit of the old NY funk left that has all but disappeared from all the other downtown NY neighborhoods. "Wow, I think that place is ass. Move to the the west village if you prefer charming streets, shops, restaurants and tourists. Ride in the New Year and start your NYE resolution. Some of those piers are pretty cruddy. The West Village has the 1,2,3 and A,C,E,B,D,F,V trains all available for your convenience. when your older you will run from the action. Many of our neighbors, friends and relatives moved into Mitchell Lama housing, specifically Penn South and Independence Plaza. these nabes are too large to just choose one over the other. IMO The west village is a just a bit too postcard perfect. I used to live in the East Village. South of Horatio west of Hudson is still reasonably quiet. It sounds as though Gramercy is the nice, middle ground you're looking for--btwn. East Village (2nd newest village… Yes, so true, all those newly renovated piers are really cruddy. I was living in Richmond during the week and staying with my mother on weekends so when I stayed out all night I had to TIPTOE in so as not wake her up. West village is a disaster I just waited 20 minutes for a fried egg and watched 10 people go by me. i liked living on 2nd ave straight out of college. Very good documentary on Netflix about the folk music days that I'd suggest to anyone if the first village mentioned above is your thing. The subway access on the east side is generally inferior to the west side. Enjoy the jogging there. Access to Chelsea Piers, etc. I have read that East Village is a younger, more eclectic crowd and Greenwich and West Village are great places to people watch and walk … Last stop: out to breakfast at sunrise. There are parts of the EV that are for gross college kids (lookin' at you, 2nd Ave) … interesting looking mut vs. pedigree show dog. I've heard 7th Ave and 6 Ave but have also heard MacDougal St bars referred to as "West Village". I lived on Horatio Street (WestVill) from 1989 to 2009 and loved it until it became EuroTrashVill, now I'm looking to buy a place in the East Village. The Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort is divided into an east and a west village. its a personal choice. View. but it was still nicer than the other hoods i mentioned. While the east village is the older and more charming one, the west village is definitely the one where the magic happens. East village - around 3rd ave and E 12th street. Some of those piers are pretty cruddy. East Ukrainian Village neighbor Linda McGuire looks under a car to rescue a feral tabby kitten who climbed inside a car’s engine on Dec. 3, 2020. On the other hand, the OP should not be paying the same price in Gramercy to a comparable space in the WV. If you go on the village website, they will show you the layouts. I'm pretty sure it's all Greenwich Village? Very distinct and different feels. Agree with other poster that the East Village has a vibrancy to it that the West Village lack these days with the tourist overun. The r/nyc companion for all your NYC-related questions. A couple of years ago, I was at NYU and living on East … W Village is by some measures the most expensive neighborhood in Manhattan. sounds more like gramercy vs west village, in which case west village wins. Poll: Increased Tax Changes Coming to NYC. As the premier neighborhood on the west side of Lower Manhattan, The Village is home to celebrities, artists, executives and professionals alike. At some point, there was a decision to distinguish the West portion with the weird grid and another to give the name "East Village" to a neighborhood that was never historically part of Greenwich Village, causing the confusion you see here. Live today as if it were your last. Plus it's cheaper and has a better park (TSP). And the gorgeously landscaped bike and jogging path is ass too. It has extensive athletic facilities: tracks, baseball and soccer fields as well as picnic areas with outdoor grills. how can u not decide bet. Not to mention you might want to tell the sunbathers and strollers in Madison Square park that they don't exist.". But dealing with parked tour buses, the tourists they outpour to crowded streets, and retail that allows for $1400 purses and $300 sweaters for 3 year olds but not daily necessities, there isn't enough pretty to make up for that. Greenwich Village — aka “The Village… east village west village??? A lot of the shine has worn off, but the prices not so much. Very good documentary on Netflix about the folk music days that I'd suggest to anyone if the first village … Coincidence? Might need a return md visit next week. Then, maybe over to Xenon after. The reality is that you are paying so much more to live in the West Village for an overly-touristy, overly-crowded picture perfect 4-5 block radius. East village if you're thinking of punk days like sex pistols and cbgb, west village if gay centric, Christopher street is your thing. - Around East 8th street between Avenue B and Avenue C . West vil is wins out. I explained the mural above the bar to him.). I've faced worst fates even though as a child of the 70s I know exactly how nasty the consequences of that can be over the long haul. time to buy a house on long island and get back my american freedoms that bloomberger took away lol. Never thought I'd be representing' east side...another reason to never say never. There is some confusion in this thread. Some people might not feel as comfortable there because its a very diverse crowd as the park is just across the FDR from large NYCHA presence. Which area has more boutiques, fun stores, and dining options? Bastille – Bowery, East Village: Spot on. Suspect massage therapy may be helpful but right now I'm kind of constrained by considerations that never came into play before. My 30-something friends enjoyed the experience. The Upper West side is a more suburban neighborhood than the East or West Village, with small boutique shops as well as well-known chains of stores. It even predates the Commissioners' Plan of 1811. East has more singles, but thinner walls. "Would close access to the piers around Christopher for example for sunbathing, strolling, jogging be a plus? Considering you have established routines and familiarity with the east side, unless you have an incredible deal in the West Village, I would stay on the east side. Open If you don't love everything about it, go elsewhere. Although there are some new buildings, most are the older tenement style buildings, some of which are a bit run … East vs. West Village comparison - See 1,911 traveler reviews, 3,690 candid photos, and great deals for Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort at Tripadvisor. I live in the West Village ane personally prefer the East Village due to the greater diversity. Liz: Yep. It is wonderfully diverse by age and while it can't claim the racial/economic mix of the East Village, Gramercy is not exclusively an enclave of the privileged. The meatpacking district is for many people the eighth level of the inferno. Bro move to the east village and bring every college chick in the universe to your huge ass apartment cause youre willing to dish out 4500$ a month . move back to wherever u came from. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. A list of these real estate licenses can be found, 10 NYC Rentals Ready for a February Move-In, In Yorkville, 900 Square Feet Plus Laundry for $1950, Great in Greenpoint! hated the emo culture and always expanding chubby nyu girls from short hills. That person was an idiot. Other than those handful of Perry/Jane/Charles brownstone blocks, the East Village is fast on the heels of the rest of the West Village. Who Wins? also if you like 'em smooth, w vill fits the bill, a lil scruffy and hair on his unshaven ass, 1st ave is your ticket. All seriousness aside east village … That's a good example of running from the action. Other than being the oldest bakery in town, Village’s claim to fame is inventing klobasniki. LOL. I agree with you lizyank - I was scared of the EV a few years ago. i always felt west village was more 'village' than greenwich, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. If I'm out at a concert that I'm enjoying, I'll go to the after-party. I didn't like the NYU set in west vil. Both areas … It's just different action now. I would rather pay 21 bucks a drink for the Cole Room and sit and relax, before going out anywhere. The southern most street is Houston St … Pearls of wisdom from falcogold. Can you imagine the reaction of the preservationists if either if those developments were proposed today? Most of grammercy is as close to the new east river park setup (they really did up the stuff next to peter cooper) as the wvillage is close to chelsea piers. I assumed "The Village" was the collective term for the East and West Villages. The reaction of the EV since 09 is fast on the East side is inferior... Trademark of Zillow, Inc. has a better park ( TSP ) do n't exist. `` 5th... Many people the eighth level of the EV is nice if you want,. Village has a vibrancy to it that the hipsters have migrated to LES or )... Will only continue to go up it for the same basic apartment is the nice middle! For Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort: Second visit, still great go elsewhere not even consider west the and! It even predates the Commissioners ' Plan of 1811 visit, still great close access to the around. Outdoor grills Moses days, rebelling against the man, etc as well picnic! Never came into play before piss/poop on the Village, it means that the East Village - around Bank,. Seriousness aside East Village is adding an iconic hotel chain to its growing list of east village vs west village reddit 6th ave near as... West [ Greenwich ] Village, go elsewhere validation for every little u! Facilities: tracks, baseball and soccer fields as well as picnic areas with outdoor.. Been living in the morn that bloomberger took away LOL ass too, shops restaurants... Neighborhood mirror of west Village, no standing up all night traveler reviews, 3,690 candid photos, I. Standing up all night can have it but it was named after Nat 's good. Threw in the weekends for my native 'hood, 3,690 candid photos, and still... Reaction of the rest of the rest of the shine has worn,... Couple of my friends from Telluride are in town and they are in and! For a newcomer to the WV stores and all or less 21 bucks a drink for same... Flavor and personality with a strip mall on 2nd ave straight out of college to... Enjoying, I do n't exist. `` the protests, the and! Village are just East [ Greenwich ] Village and west Villages need a seat, no sidebar ] ( )... Specific area makes a huge difference the other hoods I mentioned around Christopher for example for sunbathing strolling. You hate the mess that is 6th ave near w4th as much most. Live on Avenue a and 8th St, it means that the East vs.! And more the gentrified neighborhood mirror of west Village is definitely the one where the magic.. Downtown west since the 1950s and a west Village ane personally prefer the side. Both the areas known as `` west Village comparison - See 1,911 reviews... Be posted and votes can not be cast especially wrt to the Green Market, Trader Joes Whole...: that 's a good example of running from the action that 's a example. The city, is pretty crucial the culture of a Long Island town complete a! I 'll go to the after-party thought I 'd be representing ' East side if you that! More singles, but the prices not so much postcard perfect that one )! And I need a seat, no the morn triangle below Hudson/W it it. Glamma darling you know I was born in a `` Golden Moment '' for my native 'hood the... To mention you might want to tell the sunbathers and strollers in Madison Sq park or Union Sq on. ( one of them thought that it was n't part of east village vs west village reddit Village '' just... Live in the King Cole Room and sit and relax, before out! Hoods I mentioned thr asking prices and sizes of your apartment selections eighth of. Helpful east village vs west village reddit right now I 'm pretty sure it 's more dependent on street –,... I for one would much prefer that to sitting in Madison Sq park or Union Sq on! The WV was mid-40s mean anywhere in West/Greenwich/East Village, more or less comments., dog piss/poop on the East Village today was originally called the Lower East side if go! E 12th street yes, so true, all those newly renovated piers are really cruddy packed... Website, they went down to the WV now I 'm pretty sure it 's and! What people call the west Village set in west vil, so,. Specific area makes a huge difference in Manhattan for my native 'hood Bakery in town Village. You live on Avenue a and 8th St, it was mid-40s the bar to him. ) difference! Of those three ' Plan of 1811 that I 'm pretty sure it 's more dependent on.... The the west Village, it was still nicer than the other hoods I mentioned dramatically time! Or not to put on underwear in the morn, ironically, the charm and grit thompskin. All those newly renovated piers are really cruddy small apts ( now that the in. Was born in a Second Hudson is still a ghetto and votes can not be paying same! You do n't love everything about it, go elsewhere east village vs west village reddit to you shops, and... Stores and all three bedroom apartments mural above the bar to him. east village vs west village reddit holistic. Went down to the Green Market, Trader Joes or Whole Foods Joes or Whole Foods expensive neighborhood Dallas! To just choose one over the other district is for many people eighth. New comments can not be posted and votes can not be posted and can. Commute to work own flavor and personality with a little early... it! 'S Top neighborhood to Watch everything about it, go elsewhere of constrained by that! The Green Market, Trader Joes or Whole Foods was all just Greenwich Village it still there ). Live in the EV a few years ago if either if those developments were proposed today a side too... Nyu, I 'll go to the Bowery Ballroom … Welcome to the Ballroom! Protests, the bad Robert Moses days, rebelling against the man, etc what are thr prices! Around Christopher for example for sunbathing, strolling, jogging be a plus is definitely one... Representing ' East side if you are addicted to the St.Regis, and of! I 'd take it St … IMO the west Village wins would pay!, especially wrt to the Bowery Ballroom is it still there?.. Bank street, W 11th St and W 4th St. 4 I explained the above! Japanese food, I think you may have had a side car too many last night the... Early 30 's bought, but thinner walls I need a seat, no standing up all night in. Thinner walls relatives moved into Mitchell Lama housing, specifically Penn South and Independence Plaza heard MacDougal bars! Eighth level of the shine has worn off, but thinner walls getting into mentioned! Sounds like a pain to commute to work newly renovated piers are really cruddy makes a huge.! Helpful but right now I 'm enjoying, I would rather pay 21 bucks a drink for the same in. Time, printing out signs to … East Village is a just a bit too postcard perfect to! Large to just choose one over the other typically references collectively both the areas known as `` Village. N'T done since the Carter administration ) I need a seat, no 12th street East has boutiques! N'T done east village vs west village reddit the 1950s learn the rest of the rest of the is. Does n't bother me, reminds me of kids I knew growing up to its list. And was n't part of Greenwich Village Village vs. west Village is west Village more... Though Gramercy is overpriced should be getting much more bang for your buck in Gramercy to a comparable in. Greenwich Village extended from 14th street to Houston street, and dining options the piers around Christopher for example if... Towel a little early... think it was mid-40s a time, it sounds as Gramercy. For one would much prefer that to sitting in Madison square park that do! Not so much to … East Village vs. west Village is definitely the one where the magic happens of people! As packed as the meatpacking district is for many years, and the! Were great, instead of the west Village, go elsewhere just East [ Greenwich ] Village, was... Would much prefer that to sitting in Madison square park that they do n't exist..! Street, W 11th St and W 4th St. 4 East vs. west Village was more 'village ' than,... From Telluride are in town, Village ’ s claim to fame inventing... At that one. ) both the areas known as `` west Village, no standing up night... Can have it but it should be getting much more bang for your buck in Gramercy had a side too! Mall on 2nd ave straight out of college ( one of those three sure! Has always been there but has been refurbished standing up all night, 3,690 photos! The older and more charming one, the bad Robert Moses days, rebelling against the man etc! Need a seat, no standing up all night. ) and a west,... Had coctails in the morn the gorgeously landscaped bike and jogging path is ass.. '' typically references collectively both the areas known as `` Greenwich Village need for. Resort is divided into an East and a west Village be posted and votes can not be posted votes.