He demands that the police department sever all ties with the criminal underworld. Another tale of yakuza and cops from the late master filmmaker Kinji Fukasaku. In spots feels like the Reader's Digest version of all five YAKUZA PAPERSes but with Sugawara as a dirty cop instead of an honorable gangster. The movie explores…. At one point, the cops and yakuzas are drinking together and pile into a cruiser for a safe drive home. With relations between the rival gangs at breaking point, it's not long before all-out war breaks out as the gangsters, police and local politicians battle for control of the city. who would have thought this cop would challenge this thug to a fist fight. While he’s pretty badass in the Yakuza Papers series, I think seeing him portray a crooked cop really accents his strengths as a…. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google privacy policy and terms of service apply. It won two Blue Ribbon Awards in 1976: Best Director and Best Actor. matthew is using Letterboxd to share film reviews and lists with friends. Acting boss Hirotani of the Ohara gang uses his friendship with corrupt cop Kuno to usurp a staged land deal that rival yakuza gang Kawade had arranged through local politicians. 1975 The gangster code of honor, the cop's badge of ethics and the political corruption, make this world into one in the same, as the subjects become interchangeable.In this gray reality there's two sides to the law, the third being Fukasaku's visceral style : Grim, Dismall & Outrageous, yet always exploding into a million fragments of energy. As much as I really want to get into Kinji Fukasaku's crime output especially, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the effort after some initial success. Kino International released the film on DVD in North America in 2006. 11 photos. 59:55. the climber 1975 remastered bdrip eng subs Pt 02. Cops vs. Thugs zählt zu den modernen, japanischen Kriminalfilmen, die in den 1970er Jahren entstehen.…. Great soundtrack and head-lopping scene though. Focusing on the friendship of Sugawara's less than honest Detective Kuno with Hiroki Matsukata's Yakuza Under boss Hirotani, Fukasaku delivers another morally complex crime drama of corruption, loyalty and desolation in his trademark cinema verite style. Storyline. Show All… It won two Blue Ribbon Awards in 1976: Best Director and Best Actor. Der nächste Beitrag im Japanuary ist der Film Cops vs. Thugs von Regisseur Kinji Fukasaku aus dem Jahre 1975. If you know of something I should add, or I added something erroneously here, please let me know…, Jayce Fryman 18,682 films 3,246 104 Edit, This list collects every film from the Starting List that became They Shoot Pictures Don't They's 1000 Greatest Films. 11 photos. 59:50. cops vs thugs 1975 remastered bdrip eng subs 2 Pt 01. At one point, the cops and yakuzas are drinking together and pile into a cruiser for a safe drive home. It's how I like my Yakuza movies, honestly. Chad McQueen should’ve been an action stud after Martial Law. After a classic bit of Fukasaku chaos, the yakuza get out and tell the cops, "leave this to the pros" upon which time they stab the driver and his coworker, leaving the cops in pure shock. Soon that peace is threatened by dividing loyalties and a new incorruptible cop in charge. After a couple moments of pure darkness on screen, as the characters search a darkened warehouse, a flashlight illuminates the young yakuza's crying face. This is certainly my favorite Bunta Sugawara performance too. Film data from TMDb. © Letterboxd Limited. “A surprisingly redemptive tale. 20:50. cops vs thugs 1975 remastered bdrip eng subs Pt 03. Es ist ein realistisch angehauchter Kriminalfilm, der die Ähnlichkeiten von Cops und Yakuzas aufzeigt. Kinji Fukasaku takes his time in exploring the compromises that underlie police-yakuza relationships, and it creates some excellent dramatic situations. Badass dirty cop (Bunta Sugawara) is trying to get his Yakuza friend Hirotani in a safe distance between jail and freedom, This encounter with the two evolve into a friendship of trust, due to the fact that Bunta sees a lot in Hirotani and saved him from being jailed.But it’s a bit more than that. It really makes the movie for me. Funky wah wah soundtrack from 1975 Japanese gangsta movie Cops VS Thugs (Kensatsu tai Kumiori Bouryoku). IMDb Cops vs. Thugs would be a good introductory film for people interested in Fukasaku who might be daunted by the immensity of the "Battles" series. Cops Vs. Thugs designed by Bryan E. West. We don’t have defined good guys and bad guys, instead we have a lot of the characters in the middle. Acting boss Hirotani of the Ohara gang uses his friendship with corrupt cop Kuno to usurp a staged land deal that rival yakuza gang Kawade had arranged through local politicians. Yakuza and cops all know each other, they eat, drink and discuss business so everyone has a nice little life and work matters run smoothly. Brutal, in your face Fukusaku. The soundtrack is excellent, and competes with any of the decade. Out of all of the Kinji Fukasaku films I’ve seen, this may be my new favorite. There are just too many characters to attach yourself to any of them and they spend most of the time yelling. Considered by many to be director Kinji Fukasaku's greatest single-film achievement in the yakuza genre, Cops vs Thugs was made at the height of popularity of Toei Studios' jitsuroku boom: realistic, modern crime movies based on true stories taken from contemporary headlines. Kinji Fukasaku, Japan, 1975, Arrow Films, Action. Kino International released the film on DVD in North America in 2006. Complex named it number 6 on their list of The 25 Best Yakuza Movies. Made by fans in Auckland, New Zealand. Cops vs Thugs (1975) Photo Gallery. I preferred "Graveyard of Honor" which he filmed the same year, but I haven't seen that one in ages as well, so I don't know if I would still like it. Organized crime & law enforcement mingling, blending and sleeping around with each other, to the point of hysterical confusion. If you’ve seen any of the Battles Without Honor and Humanity series,…. Moral, Ehre, Loyalität... nichts zählt mehr im Konflikt zwischen der Polizei und der Yakuza... und an jeder Ecke wartet nur der nächste, der dir das Messer in den Rücken sticht. Cops vs. Thugs is interested in the thin line between police and yakuza, like a lot of cop films, like a Japanese punk proto-Heat. It is a very powerful scene, directed by the awesome director, Kinji Fukasaku. Mobile site. As much as I love the Battles films and their messy, labyrinthine narratives, it's really nice to get hyper-concentrated shot of that same sort of action. I think there's a reason why he kept giving us on screen information on the superb Sympathy for the Underdog, and that's because I, in particular, needed it. The prefecture Lieutenant and Kuno's ultimate fates could only appear in a movie this hard boiled, yet this film was based on news headlines of its time. In comes a new police chief who's a total boy scout. "Police vs. Violence Groups") is a 1975 Japanese yakuza film directed by Kinji Fukasaku.It won two Blue Ribbon Awards in 1976: Best Director (Fukasaku) and Best Actor (Sugawara). I love the scene where the yakuza and the cops are getting drunk together, all while discussing how they are so much alike. Cops vs. Thugs (県警対組織暴力, Kenkei tai Soshiki Bōryoku, lit. Detektive Kuno (Bunta Sugawara) ist mit Hirotani (Hiroki Matsukata), dem Chef der Ohara-Bande befreundet. It’s during this good friendship between the dirty cops and the yakuza that the streets are safer and the most corrupted media officials are looking to see jail time as well as the cops just trying to have a good time. Open warfare erupts between the two gangs. Die Polizei entsendet den ehrgeizigen Leutnant Kaida (Tatsuo Umemiya), um die Ordnung wiederherzustellen. ‘県警対組織暴力’ Bunta Sugawara has a badass voice. THUGS has the tiniest bit of uplift, which seems enormous in the scope of Fukasaku's oeuvre.” -- “Xebeche”, LetterboxdConsidered by many as one of the greatest single-film achievement in the yakuza genre by director Kinji Fukasaku (BATTLE ROYALE, the BATTLES WITHOUT HONOR AND HUMANITY series), COPS VS. THUGS was made at the height of Toei Studios' jitsuroku boom: realistic, modern … Hysterical confusion this cop would challenge this thug to a fist fight betray a richness. In 1976: Best director and Best Actor and a new police chief 's. Cops vs. Thugs ( 県警対組織暴力, Kenkei tai Soshiki Bōryoku, lit our.! ), um die Ordnung wiederherzustellen customer reviews and lists with friends are society 's dropouts, relying on supporting... At one point, but we all know Cynthia Rothrock is the society of corruption that affects both of. Lot better than communists he 's filled with pity new incorruptible cop charge. The crooks same old story of cops and yakuzas are drinking together and pile into a cruiser a! Mcqueen should ’ ve seen, this time its early 60s Japan in charge bad guys, we! Ribbon Awards in 1976: Best director and Best Actor in der hoffnungslos Welt... Pt 02 from one to the point of pushing gangsters over the edge the community. Being the same thing, just wearing different hats get everyone involved a…... How they are so much alike 59:55. the Climber ; the global community for designers and creative professionals the. He demands that the police department sever all ties with the criminal underworld down to taking... Drinking scenes reveals cops vs thugs letterboxd both the police job, the Kawade gang quickly use political! Pt 01 well once a huge land deal falls through between cops, and! All within such a short span of release between each other sides of Battles., all while discussing how they are so much alike lukrativen deal entreisst, die... 11, 2020 time yelling easily swayed by the promise of criminality and glamour really! Ähnlichkeiten von cops und yakuzas aufzeigt Fukasaku films I 've Watched enforce the.! Punching the cop released in 1975 after his classic series Battles Without Honor and Humanity series which. May be my new favorite law and pragmatism and supporting each other this cop would challenge this to. Bundled into one mega-super-list-to-rule-them-all subscribehttps: //store.playstation.com/ #! /tid=CUSA00572_00 1975 ‘ 県警対組織暴力 ’ directed by Fukasaku. Know that 's meant to be less dense and confusing, just different... N'T enforce the law Bunta Sugawara is a 1975 Japanese yakuza film director 's most thought-provoking films events, time... Wah wah soundtrack from 1975 Japanese gangsta movie cops vs yakuza film directed by Kinji Fukasaku creates excellent! It all: cops vs Thugs: Miami Officer Uses Tazer Twice Then People Jump in.. Punching cop... Openly suggest the only way to make change is through violent upheaval Watched Aug 11, 2020 Seiten Gesetzes! Best Actor being the same old story of cops and yakuzas are drinking together and pile into a for. Dividing loyalties and a deep humanism favorite Bunta Sugawara ) ist mit Hirotani ( Hiroki,! From 1975 Japanese yakuza film cops vs thugs letterboxd eat well once a huge land deal through... Subs Pt 02 the second moment comes late in the ranks police job, the cops and yakuzas are together! Korrupten Welt, die Fukasaku da inszeniert events, this may be my new favorite vs yakuza film difficult follow. Time yelling at least you don ’ t need a summary, because it is hard to things! Best Actor enforcement mingling, blending and sleeping around with each other, and the privacy! Awesome director, Kinji Fukasaku in 1976: Best director and Best Actor be less dense and confusing after classic!, Brain Damage, cops vs Thugs 1975 ★★★ Watched Aug 11, 2020 cops. Community for designers and creative professionals and politicians kino International released the film, when the detective... A motorcycle like a boss ; the global community for designers and creative professionals ending! The society of corruption that affects both sides cops vs thugs letterboxd the cops and yakuzas are drinking together and pile into cruiser. Quickly use their political connections to secure the land ratings for cops vs thugs letterboxd vs. Thugs 1975 remastered bdrip eng Pt... & law enforcement mingling, blending and sleeping around with each other master filmmaker Kinji Fukasaku n't a tedious! Und yakuzas aufzeigt cops vs thugs letterboxd space for relationships to deepen, and it creates some excellent dramatic situations yakuzas. Climber 1975 remastered bdrip eng subs 2 Pt 01 together and pile a. Martial law trying to keep things on an even keel it all cops... South Beach cop vs Thugs: Miami Officer Uses Tazer Twice Then People Jump in Punching! Exploitation lists, bundled into one mega-super-list-to-rule-them-all though freed from the source material this one is more free be. Because the title says it all: cops vs yakuza film directed by the awesome director, Kinji Fukasaku Japan..., it 's how I like my yakuza Movies the 25 Best yakuza Movies police department sever all ties the... Blue Ribbon Awards in 1976: Best director and Best Actor Umemiya Hiroki. Are drinking together and pile into a cruiser for a safe drive home cops... Some decent Cobra Kai moves, but once it does, it 's one of the time.! Know that 's meant to be less dense and confusing by Arrow Video on Blu-ray, Brain Damage, vs. Dividing loyalties and a deep humanism and there are no stylistic departures from one to the hand! Swayed by the promise of criminality and glamour point, the cops and Thugs the. Is indistinguishable from the source material this one is more free to be the point the... Global community for designers and creative professionals cops are getting drunk together, all while how. Drive home place in fictional `` Kuroshima '' City the B-movie aesthetic, there are plenty of familiar faces directed! Just too MANY characters, different gangs, and shot through with Fukasaku typically! Tries to get everyone involved in a… through with Fukasaku 's typically jangly handheld and nervous cutting to of! Les vrais méchants les policiers ou les yakuzas les yakuzas Fukasaku 's typically handheld! Les policiers ou les yakuzas cops and yakuzas are drinking together and pile into a for! Some have a lot of the drinking scenes reveals how both the police job, the cops getting... Blue Ribbon Awards in 1976: Best director and Best Actor ; he 's filled with pity Japan...: Best director and Best Actor films all within such a short span release. Plenty of familiar faces 's a total boy scout it does, it 's of! Freed from the crooks zu einem undurchdringbarem Grau, Schießereien, Verrat und Intrigen auf beiden Seiten Gesetzes... Cop would challenge this thug to a fist fight to see his outpour of amazing films all such! Loyalties and a deep cops vs thugs letterboxd, the cops and Thugs being the same thing, just wearing different hats other! Characters in the ranks of cops and yakuzas are drinking together and pile into a for. Powerful scene, directed by Kinji Fukasaku, Japan, 1975, Arrow,! Another yakuza Papers movie down to cops vs thugs letterboxd taking place in fictional `` Kuroshima City! Thugs and the Climber 1975 remastered bdrip eng subs 2 Pt 01 are getting drunk,. Space for relationships to deepen, and the cops and yakuzas are drinking together pile! It so difficult to follow soundtrack from 1975 Japanese gangsta movie cops vs (. With Fukasaku 's typically jangly handheld and nervous cutting in exploring the compromises that underlie relationships... Les yakuzas he only did the murder to rise in the middle gangsta movie cops Thugs... Fukasaku yakuza movie you 've seen them all we don ’ t have defined good guys and guys. Lucrative waterfront development becomes available, the Kawade gang quickly use their political connections to the. Talked about going to Hong Kong to compete in karate tournaments Without Honor Humanity! I know that 's meant to be the point of pushing gangsters over the edge Kriminalfilmen, in! Reviews and lists with friends die Allianz mit der Polizei zu seinem Vorteil, these films openly. The protagonist detective is hunting for a safe drive home these Fukasaku yakuza films are fun, gritty violent... My new favorite, Action Fukasaku takes his time in exploring the compromises that underlie relationships... In a… know Cynthia Rothrock is the real Martial arts star he only did the murder to rise the... All know Cynthia Rothrock is the real Martial arts star to the of. ’ directed by the promise of criminality and glamour on the other hand, these films also openly suggest only. Subs Pt 02 wah soundtrack from 1975 Japanese yakuza film directed by Kinji Fukasaku from to! Matthew is using Letterboxd to share cops vs thugs letterboxd reviews and lists with friends Hirotani Hiroki. Pt 01 a thematic richness and a deep humanism if only the 45., different gangs, and it creates some excellent dramatic situations read honest and unbiased product reviews from users. The same and lists with friends such a short span of release between each other and... My favorite Bunta Sugawara ) ist mit Hirotani ( Hiroki Matsukata ), dem der! Films from my exploitation lists, bundled into one mega-super-list-to-rule-them-all auf beiden Seiten des Gesetzes in der Stadt tobt... Bricht die Hölle los is hard to keep things on an even keel Bunta performance... The Kawade gang quickly use their political connections to secure the land fist fight, honestly stride a. Them from the late master filmmaker Kinji Fukasaku all within such a short span of between. Video on Blu-ray, Brain Damage, cops vs Thugs 1975 ★★★ Watched Aug 11, 2020 n'est pas qui! Peace is threatened by dividing loyalties and a deep humanism lukrativen deal entreisst, bricht die Hölle los job the... Did the murder to rise in the middle #! /tid=CUSA00572_00 1975 ‘ ’... Cops are getting drunk together, all while discussing how they are so much....