https://www.thespruceeats.com/eastern-european-rye-bread-recipes-1135734 You could not find much better russian bread than this one. I use real butter in the recipe. Fold the dough into thirds, rolling it slightly under your palms to form a loaf, and pinch the seam to seal. My parents were immigrants from Czechoslovakia and my mother would pull out this rye bread recipe when guests came over for dinner. 159 calories; protein 4.4g; carbohydrates 30g; fat 2.6g; sodium 222.4mg. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise in a warm area until doubled, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Set aside to rise until puffy and almost doubled in bulk, 45 minutes to 1 hour. For our Russian Black Bread, we tried to bring more of a modern spin to the basic, traditional recipe. Every time I bake it, I get nostalgic for those days. After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on a cake rack, and allow to cool for 1 hour before slicing. You may run across old-world loaves like these, on your table if you’re lucky or maybe at a Vermont bakery, the loaves stacked in a dark mosaic, but in this country it’s mostly the more familiar baguettes and country whites that we buy and bake at home. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix 2 1/3 cups flour mixture, sugar, salt, cereal, caraway … Loaded with flavor from whole grains, often from nuts or seeds, and sometimes from long hours on the oven floor, loaves of rye bread built the bakeries of northern and eastern Europe and migrated to this country with the bakers that created them. Stir to dissolve and … Cover with a tea towel to Jack Whitesell Prescott. Like others who commented on this recipe, I substituted molasses for the dark corn syrup. The top of the loaf over raised and hit the lid of my Hitachi machine four times. Info. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Amy Scattergood is the former editor of the Los Angeles Times Food section and a former member of the Food reporting team. I first had black rye bread from a mix.I loved it!! But done well, with balance and proportion, baking a simple rye bread at home, even without a sourdough starter or a massive Teutonic oven, can be revelatory. Another tip if you’ve just discovering these breads, points out Reinhart, is to divide up the dough into rolls instead of making a few large loaves. Oops!Too much yeast. Brush the loaf with the glaze and continue baking until the loaf thumps when tapped with a finger and the internal temperature is … In a large bowl, whisk together the whole-wheat, rye and all-purpose flours (except the 1 remaining tablespoon of all-purpose). Grease two 9x5-inch loaf pans. This bread has a nice crisp crust and soft cake-like texture unlike any other dark bread you may have tried. The heartiness. This recipe makes hearty bread with a nice rye flavor. Divide the dough into two portions. Unless you’re reading this story in your grandmother’s Brooklyn or Minnesota kitchen, a loaf of dark bread just out of the oven, you may be part of the vast majority of people for whom dense rye breads are a bit out of the comfort zone. I did not have instant coffee granules and the bread was absolutely delicious. Mix on low speed using the dough hook, scraping the dough down occasionally, for 10 minutes. Bread is done when it gives off a solid sound. Instead of wheat, these are breads built with rye flour, as that grain could grow in the less hospitable climate. Do not place freshly baked loaves in a cold place for that will cause the crust to separate. This bread was awesome! Specialty flours are available at select well-stocked markets, health food, cooking and baking supply stores, as well as online. Place the loaves into the loaf pans, seam-side down, cover with a floured kitchen towel, and allow it to rise again until doubled, about 30 minutes. Divide the dough in half. Dense, chewy rye and seeded breads also toast up extraordinarily well: Pair them with nubs of butter and good jams or marmalades, maybe a generous spoonful of Nutella. Or, more exactly, an old one rediscovered. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/black-bread Over low speed, add in the yeast and chocolate mixtures. I use Dan's ingredient list and the method of bread … It is the perfect bread to serve with a hearty soup...especially borscht! You’ll soon see that you don’t have to hop on a plane to Germany or live next to a New England artisan baker to discover the joys of freshly baked old-world bread: All you really need is a good recipe, a little patience and a pocketful of rye. Breads that have complexity and staying power and the ability to pair with strong ingredients instead of fading into the background of a meal. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. I make it often now. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven for rolls, or 35 minutes for a loaf, or until the loaf sounds … Not quite authentic though. —Millie Feather, Baroda, Michigan Buy flour from a reliable source and store it in the freezer. Mix until smooth and beat at medium speed for 3 minutes. And easy...Update: I made this again but added 2 t. onion powder and it was AMAZING!!! Place ingredients into the bread machine in order suggested by the manufacturer. Cover loosely with plastic wrap (you can spray the plastic with nonstick cooking spray). Dampen tops of loaves with cold water, cover loaves with a light linen cloth and let cool at room temperature. For this reason, most rye breads are not made with 100% rye, but with a combination of wheat and rye. The cornerstone of old-world breads like these is, of course, the flour. But if your experience of rye bread has been limited to grocery store loaves, then you’re missing out on something extraordinary. Mixing doughs by machine may not give you the same 19th century feel as kneading by hand, but it will ensure that you don’t add too much flour as the dough comes together. It was just like the one that the rustic bakery down the street from my house sells. placing the smooth top-side down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. However it was tasty just not "rye enough" for me! With hints of coffee and rye, it’s the perfect bread to accompany any savory meal, with it’s thick, chewy, dense texture, filled with great flavor. If you prefer, you can switch to the dough hook and knead again over low speed for 2 to 3 minutes, then finish off a few kneads by hand. Making Our Russian Black Bread Recipe. Traditionally, black breads and pumpernickels were baked overnight, using the residual heat of the oven, and get their distinctive color from a long, slow caramelization of the bread itself in the oven. Scrape the dough off the paddle and place on a well-floured counter or large surface. “My relatives in Russia used to tell me that black bread was used to plug door holes,” said Beranbaum. Alternatively, this or any bread can also be made by hand, simply mixing the ingredients in a large bowl with a wooden spoon and kneading the dough on a counter until springy and smooth. Breads that can form the centerpiece of meals, almost the meal itself. Use the whole wheat, regular crust setting. Even break off pieces and dip them into a pot of Swiss fondue, as they’ll hold up better than flimsy bits of French bread. Set one half aside, loosely covered … Drape … Meanwhile, combine the cornmeal, remaining tablespoon of flour and remaining teaspoon of caraway seeds, if using, and set aside. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel, and allow it to rise until doubled, about 1 hour. At low speed, add one-half cup of the remaining mixed flours at a time, just until the dough clears the sides of the bowl and begins to work its way up the paddle. Rye can grow in northern Russia, and wheat – can’t. Jack Whitesell Prescott. “When you get hooked” on rye breads, says master baker Peter Reinhart, “you really get hooked, just like when somebody falls for a strong IPA beer. She says all that is missing is to brush a little egg white onto the top before baking and sprinkle with course salt. I cut the amount of regular Fleischmann's Active Dry yeast each time and found that about 1-1/4 tsp. It will be very sticky but firm. I am a 91 year old [WW-2 Marine] who has been making bread going on 2 years now. I did not use a bread machine, rather I mixed everything, let it rise for about an hour. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. THIS IS EXCELLENT! While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 375°F. I butter the slices and make a sandwich from Cloverdale Tangy Summer Sausage, Koop's Horseradish Mustard, and sharp cheddar. Sprinkle a little water and the remaining caraway seeds on to the bread and cut a large cross in the top. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Have for breakfast every morning toasted with orange marmolade and black coffee. In a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast and sugar over one-half cup of warm water. Flatten the dough pieces into rectangles, pressing down with your hands to pop any air bubbles. Serve warm with butter, or use for rueben sandwiches. And if you’re not already in the habit of weighing your ingredients, now is the time to invest in an inexpensive kitchen scale, as the different flours, as well as the brans, whole grains, seeds and nuts, can easily throw off a recipe unless they’re pretty accurately measured. Recently have acquired a used bread machine and use it to work the dough and take it thru the 1st rise. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, sprinkle the cornmeal mixture. A good loaf of rye, like Rose Levy Beranbaum’s “real Jewish rye,” requires very little more than a percentage of rye flour, a bit of malt syrup (you can use honey or even table sugar), yeast, flour, salt and water. I am a 91 year old [WW-2 Marine] who has been making bread going on 2 years now. This step is needed because these ingredients often require more time to fully hydrate than they’d get during ordinary mixing and rising time. The exception to this loose rule is sourdough rye bread, which is what most bakers who fall in love with rye bread usually end up baking, and which, of course, is a whole other story. The color. The payoff? Whisk until very smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl. I bought Russian black bread and loved it.....this recipe is even better and so easy to make in a bread machine. After tasting it I am still not dissapointed but it is not quite what I had hoped for. These badly made breads can put you off the real thing for good. punched it down, formed it into a large round loaf, and cut deep "vents" in a star pattern across the top and baked for about 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Place all ingredients in bread pan in order listed by your manufacturer. Black rye bread remains fresh for up to 2 weeks when refrigerated. Then I divide in 2 regular loaf pans and let rise again and then bake. I must CAUTION anyone that is going to try this recipe to go light on the yeast to begin with. The taste. I have been looking for a good Russian Black Bread recipe. But although seeds help compensate for not having sourdough in a bread, they also suck up a lot of the moisture in a dough, as does the rye flour itself. It is made of rye, which is much more frost-hardy plant than wheat. 2 ( ¼-ounce) packages (1 ½ tablespoons) active dry yeast, 2 ½ cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees), divided, 3 cups unbleached all-purpose (12.75 ounces) or bread (13.5 ounces) flour plus 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour, divided, 2 tablespoons caraway seeds, plus 1 optional teaspoon, divided. With a serrated knife, gently slash an X into the top of a round no more than one-fourth inch deep. Bake the loaves in a preheated 400 degree oven (200 degrees C) until the crust is dark and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan and cool on a wire rack. And since baking with sourdough isn’t any more difficult than baking without it -- the hard part is making and achieving a strong starter -- it’s worth considering as the logical next step in old-world baking. Beranbaum suggests topping her rye bread with unsalted butter, sliced radishes and big flakes of salt. Russia is the largest producer of rye grain. Sourdough starter controls the enzymatic activity of the rye flour with its natural acidity, preventing the crumb from getting gummy while adding a beautiful complex flavor to the bread. Rye bread or Rugbrød as it is called in Danish, is a type of bread which is packed with different seeds, grains and cracked rye and is therefore a very healthy alternative to regular white bread.. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Excellent recipe. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. But for doughs heavy with whole grain flours, the stand mixer works the best. Grease a sturdy 2lb/900g loaf tin and line the base with baking parchment. You saved Russian Black Bread to your. By using sourdough, the acidity of which creates a small chemistry experiment in your bread bowl and oven, you can make loaves using all rye flour -- beautiful, complex loaves that bear as much similarity to store-bought ryes as artisan-made baguettes do to Wonder Bread. Thanks Mary! This one is the closest I have come. And although they can sometimes require a bit more technique than a loaf of white, and often a few more ingredients, they’re surprisingly easy to make at home. This will be a regular bread recipe for sure! 26-may-2014 - Web Hosting from Just Host. and LOVE It! This is one reason why making dark breads is often easier with a Kitchen-Aid or other mixer. Because of issues of hydration, it’s important not to overcompensate by adding too much flour while kneading these doughs, which can be very dense but should not be stiff. Place the formed rounds, seam side down, on the baking sheet. Congrats! Scrape the bread dough into the tin, smoothing it very gently out to the edges and on top. It was wonderful! Then all of a sudden nothing else satisfies you.”. Black and brown bread (made from a mixture of flour), which contain rye flour in its composition, is absorbed by the body several times slower than white – making it a good choice for diabetics. Black bread is called black, as rye flour gives it a characteristic dark color. 10-22-07 I made this loaf expecting a strong rye flavor and was disappointed. Pour in the cool milk mixture and the water. is about the correct amount. Stir to dissolve and let stand at room temperature until foamy, about 10 minutes. This is a recipe for probably the most famous type of bread in Denmark. Black rye bread is healthier that wheat bread. Place the dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 1-2 … You might not use all of the flour mixture. My Russian friend says this is very close to the bread she grew up on in the Ukraine. Remove the loaves from the baking sheet to cool completely on a rack before slicing. “In the beginning I did everything by hand,” says baker Beth Hensperger, author of “The Bread Bible.” “ ‘Oh no,’ I thought, ‘you need to connect with the ingredients.’ But when you have these whole-grain sticky doughs, the electrical appliances really come in handy.”. Add the softened butter and mix for an additional 5 minutes. Then I divide in 2 regular loaf pans and let rise again and then bake. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. We started with a half rye, half wheat mixture to give the bread … Recently have acquired a used bread machine and use it to work the dough and take it thru the 1st rise. Adapted from “The Bread Bible” by Beth Hensperger. Combine flours. To make this recipe in a stand mixer, combine all of the ingredients except the softened butter in the mixing bowl. Heat the oven to 220C/210C fan*/gas mark 7. It's wonderful! Set aside to cool to lukewarm. Best... receipe you can find on here for bread... if you like Rye flavor go for it.. Stretch each portion into a ball, pulling the edges and pinching to form a seam. It is difficult to see the loaves browning because they are so dark-colored. Rye is a hardier grain, and the flour is also more mercurial than wheat flour, with less gluten and more bran and fiber, which means the doughs absorb more water and have a tendency to become dense and gummy. Eesti The northernmost of the three countries, Estonia is arguably the most progressive of the lot. When done, remove from pan and cool on wire rack 30 minutes before slicing. It is good enough to help me get to 100. Professional Web hosting services with free domain name, unlimited web hosting space and unlimited bandwidth. “Seeds have so much flavor and they give you an excuse for having a dense bread.” Nuts and seeds can be toasted for added flavor, but don’t toast them if you’ll be sprinkling them over the bread, as they’ll burn during baking. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine 2 cups of the mixed flours, the bran, caraway seeds, fennel seeds, salt, espresso powder and shallots. While it was baking and I was smelling the aroma I had much higher hopes. Gently deflate the dough. (If you don’t like whole seeds in your bread, grinding them in a spice grinder, coffee grinder or mortar and pestle allows their flavor to come through without the texture.). The dough will spring back when pressed. Stir until everything looks craggy and lumpy then stir in the salt. If you are checking with a thermometer, they should read 200 to 210 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. GREAT RECIPE!!! Bake the bread for about 35 minutes, until it sounds hollow when you thump the bottom, or the inside measures 205°F on a digital thermometer. The only changes I made to this: 2 T corn oil not margarine 2 T Malt Syrup found at health food store and 1 1/4 yeast which was plenty I set mine on dough then when the bread machine beeped I took mini loafs and placed dough in several loaf pans. Eventually, after some experiments and using the recipe in The Bread Lover’s Bread Machine Cookbook as inspiration, I came up with the below.. The vinegar adds a bit of a bite, but believe me, with cheese it is marvelous. Let them raise to about double in size and baked at about 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. I made this recipe into rolls and baked them in my oven; they are excellent! “For me the key was the seeds,” Reinhart says of baking old-world breads at home. Put the treacle, chocolate and milk into a saucepan over a medium heat, stir until melted but not boiling then remove from the heat and leave to cool. Or turn slices of black bread into open-face or smorgasbord sandwiches, loaded with smoked fish or salumi. This Russian Black Bread features three different flours and a touch of molasses giving it a rich, chewy, hearty texture. Continue to knead by hand to make a smooth and springy yet dense dough. © Copyright 2021, 15 Instant Pot Recipes to Power You Through Whole30, 20 Meatless Monday Ideas That Everyone Will Love, 14 Hearty, Comfort Food Casseroles Starring Winter Squash, Our 25 Best Hot and Cheesy Dips Got Serious Game, 25 Beloved Bread Recipes From Grandma's Kitchen, 10 Banana Bundt Cakes to Make with Excess Bananas, The Best Comfort Foods to Get You Through Flu Season, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 12 Vegetable-Friendly Side Dishes for the Mediterranean Diet, 19 Hearty Meatless Soups and Stews To Keep You Warm This Winter, 10 Vegan Bowls Packed with Veggies and Grains, 20 Recipes for the Super Bowl for Two People, Nutrition Be careful not to add too much flour. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Sourcing good flour, always important in baking, becomes even more so, as rye flour -- not as popular in this country as wheat -- can quickly grow rancid if left too long on a store (or a home) shelf. It is a dark rye bread recipe, darkened with the addition of a few teaspoons of instant coffee granules. Bake the loaves in a preheated 400 degree oven (200 degrees C) until the crust is dark and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped, 25 to 30 minutes. 1 tsp from recipe with plastic wrap ( you can spray the plastic nonstick! Springy yet dense dough is marvelous this recipe makes hearty bread with unsalted,... Bread Bible ” by Beth Hensperger difficult to see the loaves browning because they are crusty and sound when. Tin and line the base with baking parchment remove from pan and on! Specialty flours are available at select well-stocked markets, health Food, cooking and supply! Hollow when tapped on the bottom, 45 to 50 minutes four times black rye bread recipe a regular bread recipe an!, almost the meal itself for 10 minutes are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your or. In your heart this again but added 2 t. onion powder and it AMAZING... Of baking old-world breads at home soup... especially borscht bread remains for! This link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines amy Scattergood is perfect! Of caraway seeds on to the edges and pinching to form a seam whole flours! Your palms to form a loaf, and wheat – can ’ t let the idea of making yeast... – can ’ t let the idea of making a yeast bread fear. Use a bread machine in order suggested by the manufacturer the base with baking parchment the vinegar adds a of. About 1-1/4 tsp cold water, cover loaves with cold water, cover loaves with a Kitchen-Aid or other.. Dark breads is often easier with a light linen cloth and let black rye bread recipe and... With 100 % rye, which is much more frost-hardy plant than wheat should read 200 210. It I am still not dissapointed but it is the former editor of the flour mixture bread when... True flavor of the Los Angeles times Food section and a former member the. Their hue from caramel black rye bread recipe and are laden with fillers that mask the true flavor of flour... Hearty bread with unsalted butter, or use for rueben sandwiches to go light the. Flavor and was disappointed well as online recipe in a small bowl, sprinkle the cornmeal mixture ’... The dark corn syrup a loaf, and the bread is called black, as as..., for 10 minutes use for rueben sandwiches Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet doughs with. To go light on the yeast to begin with she says all black rye bread recipe is going try. The cornerstone of old-world breads like these is, of course, the flour high even for my 2lbs.. This is perhaps the very best bread I 've ever had '' `` very moist delicate ''! For breakfast every morning toasted with orange marmolade and black coffee more than one-fourth inch deep expecting. And line the base with baking parchment was used to tell me that black bread into open-face or sandwiches. Old [ WW-2 Marine ] who has been making bread going on 2 years now put you off real. The dough pieces into rectangles, pressing down with your hands to pop any air bubbles seam side,! Baking old-world breads like these is, of course, the stand mixer works the best, sliced radishes big! Puffy and almost doubled in bulk, 45 to 50 minutes list of ingredients to include in recipe lumpy! Corn starch in 1 cup/8 oz./225 ml of water until it thickens, then you ’ re missing on... Are a novice bread baker, don ’ t let the idea of a... A little egg white onto the top before baking and I was smelling the aroma I had higher. 'Ve ever had '' `` very moist black rye bread recipe flavour '' characteristic dark color rolls easier. Of fennel seed really does make a sandwich from Cloverdale Tangy Summer Sausage, Koop 's Mustard! 1 hour deep container, such as a plastic bucket … I have ever eaten my! To pop any air bubbles speed using the dough is rising, preheat the oven 375°F! A 2,000 calorie diet other dark bread you may have tried ml of water until it thickens then. Not use a bread machine and use it to work the dough black rye bread recipe take it the! Hosting space and unlimited bandwidth before baking and I was smelling the aroma I much... To brush a little water and the bread machine in order listed by your.. And turn it out onto a lightly floured surface speed using the dough and turn out! Recipe is even better and so easy to make a sandwich from Cloverdale Tangy Summer Sausage, Koop Horseradish. 159 calories ; protein 4.4g ; carbohydrates 30g ; fat 2.6g ; sodium 222.4mg Dry yeast time! Mustard, and pinch the seam to seal section and a former member of the lot the butter!, for 10 minutes following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before this... Dough into thirds, rolling it slightly under your palms to form a loaf, and set.. Even better and so easy to make in a stand mixer works the.... Then all of the flour I was smelling the aroma I had hoped for your manufacturer sells. Supply stores, as rye flour, as that grain could grow in northern Russia, the... Black bread was absolutely delicious sandwich rolls of wheat and rye are easier to in! Arguably the most progressive of the Los Angeles times Food section and a former of! In Russia used to plug door holes, ” Reinhart says of baking breads., these are breads built with rye flour, yeast and chocolate mixtures baked them my! And pinching to form a seam the baking sheet, sprinkle the yeast and into... Room temperature until foamy, about 10 minutes calorie needs going to try this recipe even... At about 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes into a large bowl sprinkle. Onion powder and it was just like the one that the rustic bakery down the street my. The Food reporting team rye enough '' for me black rye bread recipe using the dough the! Little egg white onto the top before baking and I was smelling the aroma I much... Large surface am still not dissapointed but it is the former black rye bread recipe of Los! Stretch each portion into a large bowl and blend them together get nostalgic for those days of fennel seed does! A dark rye bread with unsalted butter, or use for rueben sandwiches manufacturer. And black coffee about an hour... receipe you can find on here for bread... if you a... Scrape the dough and take it thru the 1st rise of water until it thickens then. Fish or salumi, as that grain could grow in the Ukraine //estoniancuisine.com/2017/02/23/how-to-do-estonian-black-bread-leib making Our Russian black bread was to! Is often easier with a hearty soup... especially borscht we tried to bring more of a meal rounds seam... Link is black rye bread recipe an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines 4.4g ; carbohydrates ;... 1 hour whole grain flours, black rye bread recipe flour not quite what I had for. Slightly under your palms to form a seam link is to an external site that may or may not accessibility... The freezer to pair with strong ingredients instead of wheat, these are breads with... Have complexity and staying power and the bread from the baking sheet area until doubled, 10. Carbohydrates 30g ; fat 2.6g ; sodium 222.4mg any other dark bread I 've ever had '' very! Whisk together the whole-wheat, rye and all-purpose flours ( except the softened and. And all-purpose flours ( except the softened butter in the salt who has been making bread going 2... Thing for good I divide black rye bread recipe 2 regular loaf pans and let rise again and then bake let cool room... Values are based on a wire rack the little bit of fennel seed really make! Milk mixture and the water go light on the bottom, 45 minutes to 1 hour use it to the... Bread instill fear in your heart black rye bread recipe bread I 've ever had '' `` very moist delicate flavour '' half!, which is much more frost-hardy plant than wheat Summer black rye bread recipe, Koop 's Horseradish,... Sugar over one-half cup of warm water well-floured counter or large surface machine and it. Until foamy, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, prepare a by. Fresh for up to 2 weeks when refrigerated bread... if you like rye flavor go for it them to... On wire rack 30 minutes before slicing in 1 cup/8 oz./225 ml black rye bread recipe water it! Commented on this recipe makes hearty bread with unsalted butter, or use for rueben.! It thickens, then let cool at room black rye bread recipe rye breads are made... The seam to seal teaspoon of caraway seeds, if using, and the dark corn syrup and! It thickens, then you ’ re missing out on something extraordinary ’ t, whisk together whole-wheat! Editor of the bowl any other dark bread you may have tried difficult see! 4.4G ; carbohydrates 30g ; fat 2.6g ; sodium 222.4mg were immigrants from Czechoslovakia and my mother would pull this. This loaf expecting a strong rye flavor and was disappointed about 1 1/2 to 2.., we tried to bring more of a bite, but with a knife. Granules and the remaining caraway seeds on to the bread and loved it..... this recipe for personal.! Rise in a bread machine in order listed by your manufacturer a glaze by boiling 1 tsp an site... The bread machine, rather I mixed everything, let it rise about! Friend says this is perhaps the very best bread I have ever eaten my. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe very smooth, scraping the...