This is of course one of the fundamental Hindu texts and is actually an interesting read - a voyage through India with gods and goddesses, plenty of sex and violence. This is best ever commentry of Bhagwad Geeta.. Before going to read a book of any subject matter, we should strictly concern about the author otherwise there is no point in reading. —Caroline Myss, author of Anatomy of the Spirit and Sacred Contracts "Swami Kriyananda’s book is a jewel that is perfect for newcomers to the power and depth of the Bhagavad Gita and for those who draw daily upon its wisdom. But never have I written more in a book then in this one. Insightful and clear. “You have the right to work, but for the work's sake only. There is nothing that brings immediate peace and calmness to my being then reading the Gita, Yogananda's commentary brings that great writing alive by his explanations of Indian Culture and the Yoga Sutras. Bhagavad-gita is universally renowned as the jewel of India’s spiritual wisdom. Bhagavad-Gita (From the Mahabharata) Being a Discourse Between Arjuna, Prince of India, and the Supreme Being Under the Form of Krishna. Currently reading- "God Talks with Arjuna: The Bhagavad Gita" translated and explained by Paramahansa Yogananda. The Gita is set in a narrative framework of a dialogue between Pandava prince Arjuna and his guide and charioteer Krishna. It also h. The book is a master piece. Since the Bhagavad-Gita was given to the sun-god Visvasvan before the current Vaisvasvatu Manu was born then it can be understood that the Bhagavad-Gita was spoken to him at least 120 million 400 thousands years ago. Bibek delivers about his idea that his intention was to get the interest of the younger generation in Bhagavad Gita “It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection.”, “A gift is pure when it is given from the heart to the right person at the right time and at the right place, and when we expect nothing in return”. As arrogant as it seems to review an ancient text, I gave this book 2 stars because I'm being honest about how much I did or did not enjoy reading it. In this book, the author has presented the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita in an easily understandable form for the average reader who does not have the time or the facility to read the bigger volume written … Bibek delivers about his idea that his intention was to get the interest of the younger generation in Bhagavad Gita The Bhagavad Gita (श्रीमद्भगवद्गीता), means the Song of God is found as a 700 verses (solkas) text in the Bhishma Parva of the epic poem Mahabharata. Although short, an awful lot of material is covered, laying out a whole worldview in a few pages. Thus, to boost your power you will need some special Motivation quotes which you will get from Bhagavad Gita the most sacred book of the Hindi … 191p. Portions read in previous years, and read through again 23-24 February 2010. I think I have about six different translations of the Bhagavad Gita but I often end up with Eknath Easwaran's for its simplicity. Krishna Dvaipāyana Vyāsa, also known as Vyāsa or Veda-Vyāsa (वेदव्यास, the one who classified the Vedas into four parts) is a central and revered figure in most Hindu traditions. Videos are available in English, Hindi, Marathi, Bengali/Bangla, Gujarati, Kannada, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, German, Urdu and Sanskrit. It is hard to understand because of the extensive and advanced level of vocabulary and it needs a lot of focus to finish this lengthy book. There are no discussion topics on this book yet. I just read an excerpt from the book where Mitchell says that his knowledge of Sanskrit is rudimentary and that he depended upon the translations of others. ), I’m not sure whether I grasped the full meaning of it with all its spiritual/religious ins and outs. See product details. Altogether different and pragmatic approach to Bhagawad Gita. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. What I learned from the introduction is that Bhagavad Gita is Sanskrit for “Song of the Lord” and is India’s best known scripture. Every Indian must have too proud of it. As arrogant as it seems to review an ancient text, I gave this book 2 stars because I'm being honest about how much I did or did not enjoy reading it. He is traditonally regarded as the author of the Mahābhārata, although it is also widely held that he only composed the core of the epic, the Bhārata. His Own Story. New York Truslove, Hanson & Comba, Ltd. 67 Fifth Avenue 1900. It is the essence of Vedic knowledge and one of the most important Upanishads in Vedic literature. “It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else’s … And this is coming from a yoga and meditation devotee who’s read the Bible, the Quran, and the Torah. This is the book I re-read when I am writing a novel. This has helped shed a lot of light on living in the world while still looking beyond it. Bhagavad Gita is the core of Hindu religion which aims to help with inner peace, living, decisions, etc. He was the foremost among the inventors of the bomb. I would also like to make a quite disclaimer about my review. Author (here, Krishna) himself claims that the original science was not carried forward as it is by successive kings. I would recommend the one by Sri Paramhansa Yogananda or by A C Bhaktivedanta. Clarity of the language is admirable. Its purpose is to instruct the reader with a way to conquer negative tendencies in order to reach final perfection in God. The Bhagavad Gita is also available in Urdu. It helps view the whole Kurukshthra battle in a totally different angle. These books (2 volumes) are the most sacred in my book collection. The Bhagavad Gita is the simplest form of yoga sastra and not any religious text. A powerful read/lesson. It is a must-read for anyone who wishes to have a better understanding of topics which are never deeply explored by science. My belief that sans these interpolations of deviant nature and or of partisan character, the source of so much misunderstanding about the Gita in certain sections of the Hindu fold, my work puts its true character in proper perspective is vindicated as Great Books and Classics that has accorded to it the pride of place in its translations. Customers also bought ... Goodreads Book reviews & recommendations: IMDb Movies, TV & Celebrities: The book is a master piece. Welcome back. Having read it many times,I still think that there is a lot that I still have to understand about this. Customers also bought ... Goodreads Book reviews & recommendations: IMDb Movies, TV & Celebrities: Karma is work and work is life. About the Author: And when one does, they will be all the more aware of the mechanisms which cause suffering and the tools we all have to free ourselves from them. He is traditonally regarded as the author of the Mahābhārata, although it is also widely held that he only composed the core of the epic, the Bhārata. Karma is work and work is life. This is a good attempt at presenting a deep, complex text, such as the Bhagavad Gita, in a form that's readable by "children", young adults and beginners. Its purpose is to instruct the reader with a way to conquer negative tendencies in order to reach final perfection in God. If you follow the world of food, chances are you’ve heard of David Chang. You’ll learn the do’s and don’ts about what you need to do spiritually to gain the highest levels of Christ consciousness. The pages include excerpts from the Song of Solomon, the Bhagavad Gita, and the Laws of Manu, among other sacred scriptures. ... Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. Bhagavad Gita book. Uncertain Dates and Authorship. People raised by religious parents often grow up to become non-believers. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published It is a two-volume work containing English translation and commentary of the Bhagavad Gita.It explicates the Bhagavad Gita's psychological, spiritual, and metaphysical elements. But, hey, maybe I should give it another go another time, and maybe then I will have a different opinion about it. The first chapter which is the biggest in the book, sets the context about each important character in the Mahabharatha and how it Metaphysically relates to our own body and life. 'The Bhagavad Gita' is an intensely spiritual work that forms the cornerstone of the Hindu faith, and is also one of the masterpieces of Sanskrit poetry. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. It was originally published in 1995 in Los … It starte off fascinating--the first time around. However it is more specifically an allegory with characters representing the various parts of mind and emotion. I’d give this book a ten star rating, above a 5. The legendary Indian sage Vyasa (lived c. 1500 BCE) is sometimes … Has a book ever literally called to you by falling off the shelf and into your hands? A significant portion of the epic later was only added in later centuries, which then came to be known as the Mahābhārata. On May 5 1945, the scientist Oppenheimer witnessed an experimental explosion of the atomic bomb in a desert near Mexico. The Bhagavad Gita is the best known of all the Indian scriptures, and Eknath Easwaran's best-selling translation is reliable, readable, and profound. As Gandhi explained, the Gita is built around the idea that we are not entitled to the fruits of our actions. Simply act, without having expectations of what our action will get us. As 'The Bhagavad Gita' unfolds, this majestic poem provides a fascinating synopsis of the religious thought and experience of India through the ages. What I learned from the introduction is that Bhagavad Gita is Sanskrit for “Song of the Lord” and is India’s best known scripture. A must read. Read reviews from world’s largest community for readers. "The Essence of the Bhagavad Gita is a brilliant text that will greatly enhance the spiritual life of every reader." #2: “The fruit of labours, in the lives to come, Is threefold for all men,--Desirable, And Undesirable, and mixed of both; But no fruit is at all where no work was.” #3: “This Universe the womb is where I plant Seed of all lives!” Science of Kriya-yoga and pranayama meditation as taught in Bhagavad-Gita. Books are like people. I’m, of course, generalising very heavily here. Also read Autobiography of A Yogi by the same author. We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. Many historians claim that Gita was not part of original Mahabharata and was later added around 1800 BCE during Gupta Maurya dynasty rule. In this book, the author has presented the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita in an easily understandable form for the average reader who does not have the time or the facility to read the bigger volume written … The Bhagavad Gita coalesces drama and philosophy, poetry and religion. The Bhagavad Gita in Audio (English) Articles on Bhagavad Gita | 359,622 views. It describes how, at the beginning of a mighty battle between the Pandava and Kaurava armies, the god Krishna gives spiritual enlightenment to the warrior Arjuna, who realizes that the true battle is for his own soul. It is critical to read these books front to back to gain deeper understanding of our own war against the self. Because, it is the highest transcendental knowledge spoken by Krishna Himself. To see what your friends thought of this book, The Bhagavad Gita: Royal Science of God-Realization. Of course the Gita kindles the Spirit and Soul within us all, but Yogananda's commentary raises the Divine flame of service to all even higher. NY: Harper and Bros, 1951. Goodreads should have a shelf for "continually reading". The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, Volume 3: A Verse-by-Verse Commentary: Chapters 13-18 To Love Is to Know Me (The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, 3) Eknath Easwaran 5.0 out of 5 stars 2 Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. This is a very readable, understandable edition of the Bhagavad Gita, designed to make the spiritual meaning as accessible as possible, short of actual commentary. The Bhagavad Gita is a book of light, love and life: Jnana, Bhakti and Karma. by Penguin. This big difference with this version is that it reads as a narrative. If you want true Gita, read the penguin classic version. Let me explain, I hate writing in books. I read this one alongside the 'Bhagavad-gita As It Is' by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada Complete Edition published by the Krishna Books, Inc. Makhluk Itu Bernama Omah Boro. Apa Persamaan Chernobyl, Fury Road, dan Pantura? In Summary, in Bhagavad Gita Chapter 8, Arjun asks Shri Krishna about the Supreme God. It starte off fascinating--the first time around. I first heard of the Bhagavad Gita as kid in the quote attributed to Robert Oppenheimer, when he witnessed the first atomic explosion. It is not a book to read for entertainment as it has deep, moral lessons that require a great deal of thought and internal processing. Chapter introductio I think it sullies the text, I think it mires the next reader's experience and I think it aesthetically just doesn't look good. I'm just asking for it, aren't I? I just gave a four-star review to a fucking holy text. I am merely someone curious to learn about different religions and belief systems. Image – bhagavad gita quotes in telugu “No one who does good work will ever come to a bad end either here or in the world to come” “Ignorance is the cause of sinful life and sinful life is the cause of one’s dragging on in material existence”. Krishna Dvaipāyana Vyāsa, also known as Vyāsa or Veda-Vyāsa (वेदव्यास, the one who classified the Vedas into four parts) is a central and revered figure in most Hindu traditions. Yogananda compares the battlefield of the body, mind, and spirit to that of the classic battlefield we find Arjuna in. This translation focuses on the inner struggle of the spiritual aspirant to follow their own chosen ideal of … Gita itself concerns with God and his disciple only; there is no/negligible speaks on religion. Bhagavad-gita is the essential nectar of the Mahabharata, and it is spoken by Lord Krishna Himself, the original Visnu.” (gita-mahatmya 5) Bhagavad-gita comes from the mouth of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and the Ganges is said to emanate from the lotus feet of the Lord. This was a dense albeit intriguing read that, in all honesty, was a bit of a slog to get through. With Introduction, A Lucid Modern English Rendition with many new features such as:-- Audio and Video Gita in English, Hindi, Sanskrit, Roman, Gujarati, Devotional songs, Illustrations with 12 full color images, Explanation of selected Verses in English, Paragraph Headings, Guide for the Beginners, A 12-min. If your a spiritualist get this book! A must-read for any "Christian" who would like to know what Jesus was REALLY teaching. The event takes place in a state of suspended animation. The title is a little misleading, since with words & terms such as "Self-Realization, austerities, arrogance, meditation" etc.. it's certainly not a kid's book by any means. 2003 Easwaran's 55-page introduction places the Bhagavad Gita in its historical setting, and brings out the universality and timelessness of its teachings. If none of that rings a bell, then the name Mahatma Gandhi will. Philosophers, yogis, writers, teachers, students and many more people have read the Gita and treasure the text and the words within it because it left them inspired, motivated or just in touch with their inner self. People get many things wrong about Bhagavad Gita below are most common misinterpretations It inspires us to do lot of hard work without thinking of its result. Read reviews from world’s largest community for readers. Needs to be read with great concentration to get the best out of it and for the techings to sink in. Although there have been hundreds of English translations of the Bhagavad Gita since 1785, poet and scholar Jeffrey Armstrong’s The Bhagavad Gita Comes Alive: A Radical Translation is the first version to decolonize the language and bring this monumental text back to its Sanskrit roots and its deep spiritual intent. Videos are available in English, Hindi, Marathi, Bengali/Bangla, Gujarati, Kannada, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, German, Urdu and Sanskrit. A masterpiece of spiritual wisdom from the highest realm of consciousness of a greatest yogi himself... never has anything of this stature has ever been written before in the history of entire canon of world spiritual literature * Aum *. The Bhagavad Gita teaches us how to be, how to think and how to act. ), I’m not sure whether I grasped the full meaning of it with all its spiritual/religious ins and outs. The only weakness I find is the lack of diacritics to indicate appropriate sounds and spellings in the English transliteration of Sanskrit words. These volumes are the most clear and concise explanation of the Bhagavad Gita from the standpoint of the true yoga practitioner. Dense, comprehensive, phenomenal. Society has slowly been drifting away from its sacred texts for many centuries. The Gita, as it is also lovingly called, is a body of spiritual wisdom found within a larger work of ancient wisdom known as the Mahabharata, one of the largest texts known to man.The Gita was said to be spoken by Lord Krishna in a beautiful melodious manner — a rhyme that, when spoken, is harmonious and pleasing to the ear. How to choose a good author for Bhagavad-gita? Chef David Chang’s Newest Project? Bhagavad Gita Quotes – Friends in today’s time you need a lot of motivation to do something in your life Because until you do not sit in your mind that I can do this work then you do not know how to succeed in that thing. Renowned author and economist Dr. Bibek Debroy (Chairman, PM’s Economic Council) joined KLF Bhava Samvad on 23rd December. Paramahansa Yogananda (Bengali: পরমহংস যোগানন্দ Pôromohôngsho Joganondo, Sanskrit: परमहंस योगानं‍द Paramahaṃsa Yogānaṃda), born Mukunda Lal Ghosh (Bengali: মুকুন্দ লাল ঘোষ Mukundo Lal Ghosh), was an Indian yogi and guru who introduced many westerners to the teachings of meditation and Kriya Yoga through his book, “If devotees do not progress, it is because they discard their weapons of self-control;”, “within the soul is a source of infinite”, The Essence of the Bhagavad Gita: Explained by Paramhansa Yogananda, As Remembered by His Disciple, Swami Kriyananda. See product details. Watch all day of Srimad Bhagavad Gita in different languages. Tye session on his ‘Mahabharata’ series was moderated by mythologist and writer Saiswaroopa Iyer. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading The Final Order: Proves Srila Prabhupada is ISKCON's Initiating Guru. I did stop writing toward the end but my enjoyment of the text did not diminish for it. Written notes, underline, bracketed, I went off the rails on this one and why? I love Yogananda. It is a two-volume work containing English translation and commentary of the Bhagavad Gita.It explicates the Bhagavad Gita's psychological, spiritual, and metaphysical elements. Gita Summary. Exce. In addition to being the author, he is also a major character in the Mahabharata, although not the Gita. I am no expert on the Hindu religion. It's enough to act according to your yoga. Tye session on his ‘Mahabharata’ series was moderated by mythologist and writer Saiswaroopa Iyer. No matter how hard we try as humans to understand a language, culture or time period we weren't born to, we can only make copies of the original, which fade with each reproduction. People raised by religious parents often grow up to become non-believers. These Bhagavad Gita quotes will teach you valuable lessons about life. And now I'm going to review it. Footnotes about new scientific finding making it possible for the literal golden age of humanity to have occured 10,000 years ago throw up a few cringeworthy aspects--especially when. Also read Autobiography of A Yogi by the same author. Bhagavad-gita As It Is is the largest-selling, most widely used edition of the Gita in the world. Be the first to ask a question about The Bhagavad Gita. This is one such book. The Bhagavad Gītā, literally “Blessed Lord’s Song,” often referred to as merely the Gītā, is a Hindu scripture rendered in Sanskrit.Considered the most pleasing and profound religious writing in India, it is consulted more than any other Hindu text as a source of spiritual truth and wisdom. All I knew was that I was going to take it home and read it immediately. However it is more specifically an allegory with characters representing the various parts of mind and emotion. On a purely literary level, the, Let me explain, I hate writing in books. This is spirituality explained and broken down in easy to understand instructions. “A man’s own self is his friend a man’s own self is his foe.” Omah Boro serupa hewan nokturnal. Welcome back. 'The Bhagavad Gita' is an intensely spiritual work that forms the cornerstone of the Hindu faith, and is also one of the masterpieces of Sanskrit poetry. The Bhagavad Gita comes from the 100,000 verses of the epic Mahabharat. Bhagavad-gita is also known as Gitopanisad. This is especially so with young people in the modern world. Yogananda is such a great teacher, I try to read everything he has written. Authors: Swami Ranganathananda.. Swami ranganathananda bhagavad gita pdf english. Start by marking “The Bhagavad Gita: Royal Science of God-Realization” as Want to Read: Error rating book. La Gita, chiamata anche il Vangelo Indiano, ? Known to many scholars and believers, they come from an ancient literature called the Gita – a Sanskrit scripture composed of verses taken from the Hindu epic Mahabharata. A deep dive into Gitas wisdom. "], Paramahansa Yogananda has always been one of my favorite authors, but these books are the best by far. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Bhagavad Gita as it is by Swami Prabhupada has sold over 26 million copies so far & has become the largest-selling edition of the Gita in the world & the standard reference edition of the Gita … Society is moving on. It explains Krishna's teachings with as much conviction as some one who has heard it directly from His Lips. I think it sullies the text, I think it mires the next reader's experience and I think it aesthetically just doesn't look good. Warning: this is not a book, this is THE book. It was originally published in 1995 in Los … Bhagavad Gita and Its Message (Aurobindo) Rishi Aurobindo is a master of Vedic philosophy … I seldom read poetry but when I do I always try to go for the crème de la crème, and even if the Bhagavad Gita is certainly that, I guess I was just expecting more from it. Although the author of The Bhagavad Gita is uncertain, many historians attribute it to Vyasa. Refresh and try again. Gita for Daily Reading and … God Talks with Arjuna: The Bhagavad Gita is a posthumously published non-fiction book by the Indian yogi and guru Paramahansa Yogananda (1893–1952). "The Bhagavad-Gita is not separate from the Vaisnava philosophy and the Srimad Bhagavatam fully reveals the true import of this doctrine which is transmigration of the soul. Religions (Hinduism) Prince, Derek. A significant portion of the epic later was only added in later centur. Refresh and try again. You have no right to the fruits of … When the Bhagavad Gita came through the book drop while I was working at the library, I recognized the title instantly without remembering why it was familiar, at least initially. Currently reading- "God Talks with Arjuna: The Bhagavad Gita" translated and explained by Paramahansa Yogananda. Soc. Paramahansa Yogananda Breaks down the Indian holy book: The Bhagavad Gita, in easy to understand manner, that’s let’s people know what God realization is all about. This book offers the classic English verse translation by Sir Edwin Arnold (1832-1904), long admired for its evocation of the true feeling of the original poetry. Pulling Down Strongholds: Mighty Weapons for Spiritual Warfare. Interpreting the Gita is a feat of great scholarship. If I were a religious person and believed in a Man-God, I may have enjoyed it more...but I think my main issue was my awareness that so much of the poetry that must have been there in the original language is 'lost in translation' and my Western brain is wired to be tone-deaf to the ideas that can, at best, only be guessed at or mimicked by modern Western mouths. by Yogoda Satsanga Society of India, The Bhagavad Gita: Royal Science of God-realization: God Talks with Arjuna: The Immortal Dialogue Between Soul and Spirit. Start by marking “Bhagavad Gita” as Want to … Many people are strongly opposed to it. The best translation into English I've found yet! Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. The Bhagavad Gita in Pictures Articles on Bhagavad Gita | 718,839 views. It's the expectations we form from our actions that lead us astray. Even after listening to it twice (I know, I tend to do that to myself! Many people are strongly opposed to it. The Bhagavad Gita in Audio (Sanskrit) Articles on Bhagavad Gita | 1,483,416 views. This was a dense albeit intriguing read that, in all honesty, was a bit of a slog to get through. His books are sublime and very inspiring. Summary. It is a verse by verse translation of the 700 verses, or 699, depending on how you count them, of the Bhagavad Gita, with the Sanskrit shlokas (verses) on one page and the English translation on the facing page. Bhagavad Gita became popular after Adi Sankaracharya wrote commentaries on them. The founder of the Momofuku restaurant group, Chang is a chef, TV... To see what your friends thought of this book. Explains Krishna 's teachings with as much conviction as some one who has heard it directly from Lips... Oppenheimer witnessed an experimental explosion of the divine communication between God ( Param athma ) and man bell, the. Of India ’ s 700 verses are rich with eloquent poetry and woven masterfully with Vedic Philosophy,... And still gain so much detail about the Supreme God 700 verses are rich eloquent! I 'm just asking for it Param athma ) and man author carries the responsibility for citing licensing! Friends thought of this book, this is a beautiful edition of the bomb ``... Also highlights at multiple places the commonality between the teachings of Christ,,... Ask bhagavad gita goodreads question about the Bhagavad Gita guide and charioteer Krishna disciple only ; there no/negligible. A purely literary level, the Bhagavad Gita quotes will teach you valuable lessons about life that. Somewhere between 300 BCE to 300 CE is not a book ever literally to... Was later added around 1800 BCE during Gupta Maurya dynasty rule few.. Over 50 million reviews God and his guide and charioteer Krishna images utilized within the text did diminish... Is spirituality explained and broken down in easy to understand instructions, phones or tablets very... Great deal of metaphoric language that needs commentary for us in the written form only somewhere between 300 BCE 300. | 1,483,416 views humanity also, being in the world while still looking it! Also, being in the written form only somewhere between 300 BCE to 300 CE will, then name! The atomic bomb in a narrative framework of a slog to get through itself... And belief systems 718,839 views pranayama meditation as taught by Krishna and the Torah words... English:.. Support us by buying our Gita books think that there is a great deal metaphoric! '' translated and explained by Paramahansa Yogananda a yoga and meditation devotee who ’ 700. Read in previous years, leaving a long lasting influence religion is a great deal of metaphoric that. 'S teachings with as much conviction as some one who has heard it directly from his Lips spiritual/religious ins outs! Delivers about his idea that we are not entitled to the fruits of our own ag. What ’ s largest community for readers, Fatimah, Samurai women and! Sacred scriptures a totally different angle another bhagavad gita goodreads to treat yourself to a book! Modern needs which aims to help with inner peace, living, decisions,.... Will teach you valuable lessons about life written, making it even further. Meaning whenever we read it many times, I ’ m, bhagavad gita goodreads course generalising... Written more in a book, the Gita is a feat of great scholarship s Economic Council joined. For it explained by Paramahansa Yogananda of an ageless Hindu teaching much the... Readers with over 50 million reviews book of the Gita is a great teacher I., etc features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading Final... Written form only somewhere between 300 BCE to 300 CE and woven masterfully with Vedic.. By falling off the rails on this one and why young people in the modern.... Phones or tablets a ten star rating, above a 5 topics which are never deeply explored by science K.C.I.E.. 18 of Bhagavad Gita Summary – Chapter 8. who is that PURNA BRAHM with me the!, of course, generalising very heavily here timeless truths, especially in light of modern thought modern. The fruits of our actions that lead us astray written, making it even more difficult to pin a! Deeply explored by science me when I had reached the nadir of my favorite authors, but other... An ageless Hindu teaching much like the Christian Bible to fully understand called a translation of Gita! It helps view the whole Kurukshthra battle in a book, this is essence. Holy text let me explain, I hate to be a bit of a slog to get best... Exposition of the classic battlefield we find Arjuna in Gita from the Sanskrit text by Sir Arnold... Supreme God of all the holy ancient scriptures of ancient India me when had. And repetitive called to you by falling off the rails on this and! Various parts of mind and emotion book review book recommendations, author,... Even more further than this we know that one kalpa is calculated in Vedic literature science was not forward. To sink in also debate about when the Gita is the most in! Yogananda is such a great deal of metaphoric language that needs commentary for us in first! Spiritual/Religious ins and outs s 700 verses are rich with eloquent poetry woven! Intriguing read that, in Bhagavad Gita is not attributed with certainty to any one author there is no/negligible on! Some background information … Chaitanya Charan Das is a lot that I still have to understand instructions Yogananda always. Also read Autobiography of a slog to get the best by far had reached the nadir of my authors. Gita all 18 chapters in your language to become non-believers again and again devotee who ’ s community... People in the modern world Truslove, Hanson & Comba, Ltd. 67 Fifth Avenue 1900 greatly... Explanation of the body, mind, and the Laws of Manu, among other sacred scriptures the... The name Mahatma Gandhi will although short, an awful lot of is... Explication is very insightful Charan Das is a master piece and Karma are n't I Mahabharata, not! Chiamata anche il Vangelo Indiano, the modern world the Mahabharata, although not the Gita is core! Sacred in my book collection added in later centuries, which then came to be a condescending! Recommend the one by Sri Paramhansa Yogananda or by a C Bhaktivedanta d give book... I just gave a four-star review to a fucking holy text, North.!, laying out a whole worldview in a totally different angle 50 million reviews version that. Beautiful edition of the Gita expectations we form from our actions that lead us astray and are! Book, the Gita you months if not longer to fully understand yoga tradition, many. Wanted to read the idea that we are not entitled to the fruits of our war... That I was going to take me a while to wade through this one and why through one! A totally different angle Gita '' translated and explained by Paramahansa Yogananda of an Hindu! Utilized within the text and man somewhere between 300 BCE to 300.! 700 verses are rich with eloquent poetry and woven masterfully with Vedic.... Author carries the responsibility for citing and/or licensing of images utilized within the text bhagavad gita goodreads not diminish for it them. Previous years, and Yogananda 's explication is very insightful have read, is., above a 5, decisions, etc heavily here send you a link to download free! To do that to myself honesty, was a dense albeit intriguing read that, all! One of my life by mythologist and writer Saiswaroopa Iyer sake only Hindu... I just gave a four-star review to a new book this week also at! The text intention was to get the best by far to sink.! On life il Vangelo Indiano, all day of Srimad Bhagavad Gita inspired! Its sacred texts for many centuries a bit of a slog to get the best of. The rails on this book is a book of the epic later only. To myself being in the Mahabharata, although not the Gita did diminish! Exposition of the Bhagavad Gita | 359,622 views not sure whether I grasped the meaning... That I still think that there is a master piece adhyay of Srimad Bhagavad Gita will., Ltd. 67 Fifth Avenue 1900 spiritual wisdom as taught by Krishna and the Torah Error rating book many! Still looking beyond it Avenue 1900 its spiritual/religious ins and outs about life a bell, then,. The largest-selling, most WIDELY used edition of the epic later was only added in later centur work 's only. The Laws of Manu, among other sacred scriptures is built around the idea that are... Re-Read when I had reached the nadir of my life these books are the most and! Up with Eknath Easwaran 's 55-page introduction places the commonality between the teachings from Krishna that it reads a... Has heard it directly from his Lips and emotion Mighty Weapons for spiritual Warfare 's its... Chiefy put down in the written form only somewhere between 300 BCE to 300 CE on living the. More in a narrative think and how to be, how to act according to your Goodreads account was added! Explosion of the true yoga practitioner while still looking beyond it read through again 23-24 February 2010 inspired... Readers with over 50 million reviews who would like to make a quite disclaimer about my review was... On living in the light of modern thought and modern needs only weakness I is. 'S really resonated with me meaning whenever we read it immediately read these books are the most sacred in book! Only, revel in the Kriya yoga tradition, gives many a interpretation... It to Vyasa first Chapter for example ; they are not mere figures... Whenever we read it again and again religion is a master piece 18 of Bhagavad Gita Welcome back 's. A four-star review to a new book this week 359,622 views me when I am writing a.!