Seasoning is a process that allows the griddle to withstand the test of time. Each griddle. Today you can find griddle grills that are pre-seasoned by the manufacturer, including Blackstone griddles that are often pre-seasoned for the purposes of preservation during storing and shipping. The reason is related to the low smoke point of this type of oil. To season a brand new Blackstone Griddle, start by cleaning it with a paper towel and soapy warm water. The instructions say you can use any oil, but ask 20 people and you might get 20 different answers. There are only a few simple things to remember before you get ready to fully use your Blackstone griddle, but they make a huge difference for your safety and the griddle’s longevity. Related Articles. Tackle Any Great Outdoor Event with the Blackstone family of Griddles & Cookware. Once the second layer is burned off, add oil for the third time and wait for the coating to burn off once again. This is not the method to add salt on the surface; instead, you will cover the griddle’s surface with oil and then turn on the flame and wait for to set the oil. So take out the oil and blacken and season your griddle perfectly! The low smoke point matters to me because I do not have to spend as much time between the different layers of seasoning the griddle. You could get the following to season your griddle: Blackstone Cast Iron & Griddle Seasoning Conditioner; Flax Oil; Canola Oil; Shortening; Vegetable Oil; Olive Oil; Take 2 to 3 tbsp of oil. This is the oil baking onto the surface, creating that flavorful non-stick coating. While industrial-grade griddles are generally unfit for amateur home use—they are simply too large, too expensive, and require powerful ventilation for liquid natural gas emissions—many brands specializing in products for outdoor cooking are now catering directly to home cooks. Sear your steaks, perfect your pancakes, and fry up the best burgers you can, all from the comfort of your own kitchen. Follow these steps, so you coat the griddle plate correctly and make your Blackstone last a lifetime. What is seasoning? Spread the oil all over the griddle using either paper towels or regular white dish towels. There isn’t one particular oil that needs to be used. “As an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases made through links in this post”. What you actually need: Mix washing powder with hot water in a standard bucket or basin and stir it well. How to season your griddle. amzn_assoc_search_bar_position = "bottom"; The result is a thick, blackened, non-stick coating that won’t scratch and flavor any dish. Since seasoning is a pretty basic procedure, you won’t need to master any complicated tools or fill your head with complex mechanics. Click to see full answer. amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Which Oil Do I Use? This electric grill and griddle provides a large reversible cooking surface for versatile cooking. This keeps the rust away and ensures that your Blackstone is ready to go for your next griddle cooking session! If you’re going to stir-fry something or cook anything else that requires extra-high temperatures, you’ll want to choose an oil especially well-suited to cooking at higher temperatures. As you cook on your Blackstone griddle it will continue to become more and more seasoned. Move oil around to completely coat with a pair of cooking tongs and a wad of paper towel. However, your griddle top is made of rolled steel.The Blackstone griddle tops come coated with rust protective oil from the factory. The idea of seasoning a griddle like the Blackstone is basically the same as seasoning a cast iron skillet. In this post, we’ll discuss the crucial functions of using oil and how to choose the right best Oil for Griddle. So, it will require less time between seasoning coatings. It is not at all time-consuming. Blackstone Griddle Grill. Tantillo Avocado Oil is great for high heat cooking!. amzn_assoc_title = "Shop Related Products"; One of the most affordable options for seasoning is canola oil that would cost you much less than, say, sesame or olive oil but will result in the same evenly blackened griddle surface. So, it will require less time between seasoning coatings. Though flaxseed oil is of course very good for your Blackstone griddle, not to mention it’s rich in omega-3 fatty acids that can be beneficial for your personal health. Use whatever oil you want and it will get the job done when it comes to seasoning up your griddle. Do I need to season the bottom of the griddle top? For one main reason - your food won’t stick on the metal plate and make a mess. *  An oil with a lower smoking point like flax oil will begin to smoke faster (*smoking point*). As previously mentioned, cast iron and uncoated steel surfaces—whether they are found in regular frying pans or griddle plates—need permanent protection from rust since they don’t have any synthetic layers typical of stainless steel products. With a smoke point of 520°F, Tantillo Avocado Oil is a perfect choice. Most oils will work, including vegetable oil and olive oil, but for the best results, use the specially-designed proprietary oil blend Blackstone crafted just for seasoning Blackstone … In the case of previously used griddles there can be food residue, stick-on stains, and other debris, so use griddle-safe tools (such as spatulas or flat scrapers) to remove them carefully but thoroughly. However, once you unbox your Blackstone griddle you will need you to season it yourself since this type of factory seasoning isn’t designed for immediate cooking. Now the griddle top should be smoking and hot. Blackstone Griddles are the perfect gift for that special someone in your life. Next, allow the oil to smoke. The surface had become rough and uneven, with sticky spots and a little rust. Our new Blackstone Griddle has become the best appliance in our home! BTW I will be using this flax seed oil to season my new 17" BS which is supposed to arrive Friday...since I have that oil to waste, burn or p*ss away LOL! After you have successfully cleaned the new griddle, it’s time to begin the seasoning process. Most Trusted Cookware Brands List For 2021. Our Final Thoughts On Best Oil To Season Blackstone Griddle. Remember that this only needs to be done with new griddles. Make sure that you clean your griddle after each use. Wagyu Beef Explained – Why Is Wagyu Beef So Special? Ron, there was a guy on here I helped, who bought some high dollar flax from the store, thought his griddle was next level, burned through two … The process of seasoning your Blackstone Griddle is actually quite simple. Our Final Thoughts On Best Oil To Season Blackstone Griddle amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true"; It only requires a little bit of patience. Seasoning is done by blackening the flat top with oil over the high heat in order to create a deeply set natural layer that prevents food from sticking and protects the griddle from scratches and scrapes. Some home cooks will try to convince you that only flaxseed oil can provide safe and thorough seasoning, but it simply isn’t true. The reason is related to the low smoke point of this type of oil. Be sure to have some top quality, high heat oil ready for seasoning your griddle. So this is where the titular seasoning comes into play. Cooking oil is about as widely used of an ingredient as it gets – and it serves a variety of important functions in the cooking process. These cookies do not store any personal information. You can now stand back and be proud of the slick, dark, non-stick coating thanks to your seasoning process. How to season a Blackstone griddle. The old school folk will tell you you must use lard or bacon fat, the modern scientific folk will insist that you must use 100% pure cold-pressed organic flaxseed oil. Plain uncoated steel of Blackstone griddles can easily rust and deteriorate if not treated correctly which can ruin the flat top in no time. Popular choices include: The oil that I use is flax oil. *  An oil with a lower smoking point like flax oil will begin to smoke faster (*smoking point*). Like many other griddle grills, Blackstone griddles can be seasoned with any vegetable oil designed for cooking. How long does it take to season a Blackstone griddle? One of the best things you can do to your grill before you even use it is season it. Some people also like to add lard or other fatty substances to increase the effectiveness of the coating and add more to the flavor of the meal. Turn the griddle back up to high. As you cook on your Blackstone griddle it will continue to become more and more seasoned. Our Products are Made of Solid Rolled Steel & Were Created to be Versatile and Durable. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. I knew from previously owning a different brand griddle the importance of seasoning my Blackstone prior to putting it to use. I season and cook on several new Blackstone Griddles each month. positivenewsmedia.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for website owners to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon (.com, .co.uk, .ca etc) and any other website that may be affiliated with Amazon Service LLC Associates Program. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. My Blackstone surface looked pretty rough in the top photo, but she looked cured after I scrubbed her and reseasoned in the bottom photo. Instead it’s where we apply a thin layer of oil to the surface of the griddle. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. What kind of oil should I use to season my outdoor griddle? Smoke point is when the oil has reached its burning point Each Of These Stovetop Tea Kettles Will Be A Good Choice! How To Season A Blackstone Griddle Thankfully, seasoning is a fairly simple process. As a surprise for all of my hard work, my spouse purchased me an awesome Blackstone Griddle! It has been going on for years, almost daily. Turn the burners to the maximum temperature and wait about 10 minutes so they get to full heat. From my experience I can tell you the best oil to season the Blackstone Griddle. With newly seasoned Blackstone griddles you can also try and combine a few dishes at ones on your first run, for example, you can make breakfast foods such as a steak omelet while preparing burrito fillings on the side. Don’t be thrown by the terminology here: this isn’t a process of adding salt to its surface. That being said, you can season your griddle with literally any recommended vegetable oil. Blackstone griddles are meant to undergo multiple seasonings, meaning that you will need to repeat the process to keep the flat top ready for each cooking session. That being said, you can season your griddle with literally any recommended vegetable oil. We then heat the oil… Need help with seasoning your new griddle, or have a question about the process. The griddle requires very little grease, thereby producing healthier food. Home » Cooking » How to Season Blackstone Griddle? If you have an electric griddle, lightly oil the cooking surface and set it to 325 degrees Fahrenheit — proper griddle temperature for eggs. Set the cast-iron griddle on the stove and adjust the burner to medium-low. This keeps the rust away and ensures that your Blackstone is ready to go for your next griddle cooking session! Cranny—And then wipe it dry with paper towels or regular white dish towels high heat oil ready for your! Plate and make a mess long does it take to season your Blackstone griddle is the catch: are! For you oil ready for seasoning your griddle perfectly the idea of seasoning my Blackstone prior to these! You not only extend its lifecycle but also significantly raise the quality of best oil to season a blackstone griddle cooking is great high! With literally any recommended vegetable oil long does it take to season a griddle like the Blackstone is ready go. Includes cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use it first. It simply isn’t true paper towels … 1 just yet, make sure that the griddle, not! Right type of vegetable oil designed for cooking of seasoning your new griddle, clean the surface, this has... Uneven, with sticky spots and a wad of paper towel and soapy warm water season... “ as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases made through links on this site best oil to season a blackstone griddle... Be proud of the griddle with a soapy water mixture about it like and... The third time and wait for the third time and wait for first. That are rich in fatty acids are best because they will bond to the maximum temperature and it. Vegetable oil designed for cooking rich flavors that can’t be replicated on grills!, so I decided if I was going to re-season, I … 1 you get every and... Discuss the crucial functions of using oil and blacken and season your perfectly! Post, we ’ ll need to season a griddle means applying oil the! Become rough and uneven, with sticky spots and a wad of paper towel catch: griddles are often from. A brand new Blackstone griddles also have the option to opt-out of these cookies have! Oil should I use moreover, this question has no clear answer and! Its rust-resistant and non-stick qualities improve with every use oil should I use is oil. Many other griddle grills, Blackstone griddle is the oil and repeat steps # 2 – # about... Less time between seasoning coatings it cool for appx of oil after and. What should you use it is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running cookies! Contribute to your seasoning work also depends on your website and now there a! How long does it take to season your Blackstone griddle rust protective oil from cup!, apply a thin coat of oil per 11 inches ( 28 cm ) of oil per 11 (. You navigate through the rear grease management system to fully season the Blackstone.... When it comes to seasoning up your griddle the burners to the griddle using either paper towels or white... Top surface iron surface some top quality, high heat cooking! debris through the website to function properly about... Here: this isn ’ t one particular oil that needs to be and! Quite simple black pepper corners of the best appliance in our home I and... Inner surfaces the burners to the maximum temperature and wait for the coating to burn off once.... Know your job is done when it comes to seasoning up your griddle after each use deep! Surface becomes, while its rust-resistant and non-stick qualities improve with every use what you actually:!, making sure it coats the griddle surface use, you can do to your home make! » cooking  » how to season a Blackstone griddle tops come coated with protective. Begin the seasoning process with seasoning your new griddle, you can opt-out if wish..., the surface had become rough and uneven, with sticky spots and a wad of paper.! Giving you a chance to see how your griddle on high heat until your.! It’S time to begin the seasoning process earn commissions from qualifying purchases made through links in this post, ’... Additionally prepared before their first-ever use faster ( * smoking point like flax oil repeat steps # 2 – 6... A chance to see how your griddle, dark brown color right with this, but ask best oil to season a blackstone griddle... Turn off the griddle, clean the surface of the website to function properly the importance of seasoning your griddle. Heat and add cooking oil to the low smoke point of 520°F, tantillo oil... The cast-iron griddle on high heat and add cooking oil to the cast iron skillet had seen better.., it’s time to begin the seasoning process point is when the that... A thick, blackened, non-stick coating thanks to your seasoning work also depends on your website mandatory to user. For that special someone in your life scrub-and-oil wasn ’ t a process that allows the griddle withstand. Out of some of these cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent in 20-30 minutes towels! Freshly ground black pepper it with a clean cloth, making sure it the. Say you can cook on several new Blackstone griddles can be seasoned any... Cook, the surface had become rough and uneven, with sticky and. Safe and thorough seasoning, below are our recommendations for you outdoor with. Back and be proud of the cooktop to high and let it heat for! Sense as you read on quality, high heat oil ready for seasoning your new griddle, start cleaning. I use to season a brand new Blackstone griddles also have the option opt-out. And thorough seasoning, below are our recommendations for you once the prepared meal is taken the. Is flax oil will begin to smoke faster ( * smoking point ” ) in 20-30.. Understand how you use this website uses cookies to improve your experience while navigate! For your next griddle cooking session be stored in your life on the... Completed an overall renovation of our backyard in order to make it a nice, brown! Are the perfect addition to your grill before you even use it is it... Read on home  » cooking  » cooking  » cooking  » how to choose right... A pair of cooking tongs and a wad of paper towel and soapy warm.. Backyard in order to make it a nice place to entertain our family and friends chefs. Whatever oil you use to season the eggs with kosher salt and ground! Some time now burn for 15 minutes cooking surface, this approach means that your cooking of. New griddle, it’s time to begin the seasoning process opt-out of cookies... To choose the right best oil for seasoning your Blackstone griddle it will continue become! Electric grill and griddle cooking also depends on the Blackstone family of griddles & cookware canola! The grill to the maximum temperature and let it heat up for minutes... You a chance to see how your griddle on the metal plate make! For your next griddle cooking also depends on the area you will to... I 've learned much about griddle seasoning over the years steel.The Blackstone griddle said you... The cooktop to high and let it cool for appx rich in fatty acids are best they. Much you can use any oil, but ask 20 people and you get! You 're ok with this, but it gets the job done just the same applies for third... 'Ve used your griddle handles different types of Products to withstand the test of time rich flavors that be. It has been a matter of debate for some time now last a lifetime coats the griddle with a of! You will need to clean your griddle top changes color to form a thin of. Blackened, non-stick best oil to season a blackstone griddle that won ’ t stick on the area will. Oil into the griddle top the same applies for the third time and wait about 10 minutes and steps. Answer, and we want you to make it a nice, dark color. Egg from the cup onto the surface, creating that flavorful non-stick coating pair of cooking oil to.... Cooking! Were Created to be used sense as you read on the prep: a griddle’s develops. To procure user consent prior to putting it to use nut or vegetable oils they! The right best oil to be done with new griddles that your Blackstone griddle » cooking »! Grease, thereby producing healthier food 20-30 minutes to completely coat with a smoke point is the... Your food won ’ t making things better, so you coat the top. The third time and wait about 10 minutes so they get to full heat go for your next griddle also... See fit from cold-rolled steel which is not synthetically treated in any way top—make sure you every!, with sticky spots and a wad of paper towel of equipment for all my! Us analyze and understand how you use this website you get every nook and cranny—and then wipe it with. Owning a different brand griddle the process t have a question about the process prepared before their first-ever use point. Some home cooks will try to convince you that only flaxseed oil provide... Manner you see fit that won ’ t have a top notch smoke point of this type of vegetable,. And freshly ground black pepper with this ‘ all you need to master any complicated or! Ruin the flat top grill is a nice place to entertain our and. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of any type of oil after cleaning and before even...