Then when you get the Alodine^anodizing off, you begin to wet sand. STEP 3: BEFORE APPLYING PAINT REMOVER MAKE SURE YOU ARE WORKING IN AN OPEN AND VENTILATED SPACE. Forgot about that one. Aero Cosmetics Bug Remover Bug Scrubber RV Car Aircraft, Safe on Paint Will not Scratch Like Mesh Sponge or Bug Squeegee. Pure chemical removal can be done with caustic solutions. 37 0 obj <>stream Paint Stripper for Wood and Metal - 2 x 500ml Solution Bundled with All You Need - Paint Scraper Tool, Brush, Sanding Block, Gloves and Tips Card - by Decorator's Friend 4.3 out of 5 stars 5 £25.94 £ 25 . it took it down to the aluminum then I proceeded to sand. Every tank is different, so make sure you know where all the tank bolts are located. But don't listen to the new ones when they talk about getting "the Alodine off". YOU MUST REMOVE THE FOLLOWING PARTS: GAS TANK, FAIRINGS AND ANY OTHER PARTS THAT YOU DON'T WANT DAMAGED! In more corrosion prone environments from salt exposure then fresh water rinse often and wax even more often. Easy to use rust remover spray dissolves rust on metal surfaces Clings to the surface to remove rust from iron, steel and more Shields metal from rust up to 12 months, ready to paint after use $ 9 97 Thanks. Stewartb, Jun 29, 2016 #9. 94. You can overcome this by utilizing some kind of protective coating. NOW YOU ARE READY TO BEGIN SANDING YOUR FRAME. I use a converted angle grinder with the guard removed for this buffing, you can also use a high speed buffer as long as it turns HIGH rpm. It's good to 500 degrees, and is available in a lot of colors. STEP 2: COVER ENGINE AND EXHAUST WITH PLASTIC BAGS OR TARPS AND TAPE OFF TO SEAL THESE COMPONENTS AND ANY OTHER COMPONENTS THAT MAY COME IN CONTACT WITH PAINT REMOVER. This is THE WAY to do this correctly in my opinion, do not believe there is any big secret shortcut - polishing frame is big commitment. Be careful not to sand to long in one area as not to burn the metal. Take off the gas tank. You won't be able to do this with Drano, and you won't be happy with a soft aluminum frame, since it will ding easily. Also stop by your local hardware store and pick up a bag of both #00 and #000 Rust-Oleum 352969 Aircraft Remover. 95. Polish for maintenance but occasionally will pull out buffer and give frame/swingarm a quick hit with EMERY rouge. 26 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<36F4D61EC75E5B93C93EC235CE0160BE><0149972748241047BC71AC85FEE48557>]/Index[14 24]/Info 13 0 R/Length 73/Prev 58208/Root 15 0 R/Size 38/Type/XRef/W[1 2 1]>>stream It sounds like a lot of steps but if done properly it won't take as long as you think. Ed. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY HAIRLINE SCRATCHES IN YOUR FINISHED LOOK. Dwell time: 30 minutes to 24 hours Removal: Scrape off the paint with a plastic scraper, and use an abrasive pad and mineral spirits to remove any lingering residue. GOOD LUCK. I polished the frame of my R1 in day and a half, if removed from the bike the whole swingarm could be done in a weekend or less. Then just sand with 400 grit for the final finish. The polished bare aluminum finish was used by American Airlines for years and was even considered lower maintenance than painting but it must be waxed regularly to prevent the dull oxidation build up. If you succeed in removing the anodize so that you can polish the frame, you will want to anodize the part again. After you have removed the protective coating and sanded/polished the aluminum piece what should you use to protect the aluminum (Protective coating)? ---- Your order may be eligible for Ship to Home, and shipping is free on all online orders of $35.00+. new LazyLoad(); This sanding will most likely have to be done by hand so as to avoid swirl marks. The more consistent direction the better it looks. So i took my bike apart and im trying to repaint the frame since the old paint is all cradked and worn out and i see rust and i just wanna make it look clean again. Buy the aerosol type for "aluminum" I've done 6 bikes this way and it always works. can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong, I really want to get this. (��S�&��m��?����UII�>}g(���mѢd3���%=ƙ�0�:Lv��X�� ����,Ʉ��b�� I'd suggest disassembling it and trying to assemble the three pieces in the best order and with the best side up for a better fit … then tightening the bolts while using a clamp to hold the parts in proper alignment. [affil. Then use a high rpm buffer along with jeweler's rouge. At a low speed you can work with it (in one direction only, or you will mess it up). It's a fact of aviation life. It is a lead-free paint that is well suited for metal substrates. "button": { 3.2 out of 5 stars 51. At some point in time, an aircraft is going to require a new paint job. Rust-Oleum 323171 Aircraft Remover. 2) WET TYPE sandpaper STARTING WITH A 300 OR 400 GRIT, A 600 GRIT, 800 GRIT, 1000 GRIT, 1500 GRIT, 1800 GRIT, THEN 200 GRIT. ----- NOTE THAT THE 3M SANDING DISCS WILL HAVE DIFFERENT NUMBERED GRITS COMPARED TO HAND WET SANDING GRITS. Hope that helps Please SOMEONE ANSWER THIS FOR ME. Progress from 220 grit pads to wet/dry and soapy warm water hand sanding from 400, 600, 800, 1000. DO THEY MEAN USE 320 GRIT AND CONTINUE TO SAND AT 1500 RPMS OR THE GRIT 1500? BEAUTY HAS IT'S PRICE AND YOU ARE GOING TO PAY ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. Ǩ/g�ˤ�u���0���sh�.���׃�uu�W�"��/h�Z0�� Sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide commonly found as part of products like Drano or Liquid Plummer. How to Remove Paint and Rust From Motorcycle Frame - YouTube It is very strong so use rubber STEP 4: READ DIRECTIONS FOR PAINT REMOVER! You don't have to give me details on removing parts from the bike--its pretty self explanatory, I would appreciate the steps on taking of the metal protectant and then sanding and whatever comes next. apply paint remover to parts of frame that will be exposed (outside of frame only). STEP 7: BEGIN TO SAND YOUR FRAME STARTING WITH THE LOWEST NUMBER GRIT. Non-corrosive to all common metals under normal exposure time. Thanks for all the advice, but one question: what do I use to keep and maintain the shine? Safe 'n Easy Graffiti Remover, Spray Paint Remover, Industrial Strength Non-Toxic Gel Removes Paint, Marker, Coating from Unfinished Wood, Brick, Concrete and Most Porous Surfaces (1/2 Gallon) $38.94 $ 38. Amazon's Choice for aircraft paint remover. Q. After the heavy aluminum oxide anodize removal then use nitric acid rinse or dip to desmut is best or with light smut use phosphoric acid (Naval jelly) to lighten the aluminum surface for a clean dull bare aluminum finish. Be careful though, this stuff is EXTREMELY TOXIC! KEEP A BUCKET OF WATER AND A SPRAY BOTTLE BY YOUR SIDE WHILE SANDING. Numerous products on the market can help you remove the coating efficiently and rapidly; this article will focus on one particular product, and that is liquid paint remover. BellyUpFish likes this. link to info/product on Amazon] hasn't really worked. There are some rough edges at the seams that I'd rather not have against my pool table felt. If you use a really strong aircraft stripper it goes pretty fast. If you have a suggestion please reply and inform me how to remove the coating of my frame. Thanks. This is probably the easiest way to protect it. Leave a Review. MAKE SURE YOU RINSE PROPERLY CAUSE THE PAINT REMOVER WILL CONTINUE TO WORK LONGER. I started with 240, 320, 600,1000 then 1200, the 2000 looked like it wasn't working so I took back dow to 1200. it had a shine so I began to buff using a drill with buffing wheel, brown, green then white. In this video I show you how I removed paint from plastic - the NATURAL and SAFE way! %PDF-1.5 %���� DO NOT BE IN A RUSH TO START THIS PROJECT BECAUSE IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO GET THE CORRECT RESULTS. link to info/product on Amazon]. "popup": { Once applied, allow time for the remover to do the work. Variety of products available to remove paint form your aircraft By Joe Escobar . So what is the best way to eliminate the rough edges -- sanding? Paint Remover-Stripper-Thinner ∕ Rust-Oleum Aircraft Remover 32oz. Consult'g, Train'g, Software Environmental Compliance. Pinch with 2 fingers to zoom. KS Cleaning & Paint Prep KS Green® KS Heating Fuels KS Non-Methylene Chloride Premium Stripper KS Solvents And Thinners KS Kwik-Strip™ Strippers Automotive Discontinued. %%EOF Alodine (chromate conversion coating) is a totally different process than the anodizing we are speaking of and has nothing to do with this thread :-). Q. I have a 2000 CBR F4, I just polished the frame and it looks sick. new LazyLoad({ Before you attempt to sand and polish an aluminum frame. Q. What is the problem with sanding a seam of anodized aluminum? 4.1 out of 5 stars 19. On some places on this frame I let it sit over night. Slide 1 of 1. It really depends. A. CONTINUE SANDING THRU ALL THE DIFFERENT GRADES OF GRIT UNTIL YOU HAVE ACHIEVED A SMOOTH FINISH. you don't need to remove the old paint to repaint it. MY FAIR WARNING TO YOU: REMOVE OR COVER ALL PAINTED PARTS THAT YOU DO NOT WANT DAMAGED BY THE PAINT REMOVER OR FROM sandpaper! TO CHECK YOUR PROGRESS RUB A SMALL AMOUNT OF "MOTHER'S ALUMINUM WHEEL POLISH" WITH A CLEAN MICRO FIBER TOWEL TO SEE WHERE YOU ARE AND HOW FAR YOU NEED TO GO TO ACHIEVE THAT CHROME LOOK FINISH! Using this type of spray paint makes painting the frame easy and gives it a professional look if used right. What are my options for maintaining the shine? Stripping the paint of metal can be a daunting task. glenn jordan winchester Ohio "background": "#fff", just wet sand it with 320 or 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper until its smooth & feather edge any chips or cracks. Get it as soon as Mon, Dec 14. 10917 also go into substantial detail about aluminum polishing, folks. Effective on acrylics, lacquers, polyurethanes and baked enamels. STEP 1: YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE Aircraft Stripper. By polishing it you're removing the protective coating of the frame. Let stand until finish is completely blistered or liquefied. $48.45 $ 48. Q. I have a delta 13 select billiard rack that is screwed together. USE A CLOTH TO WIPE A SMALL SECTION TO CHECK THE PROGRESS OF THE PAINT REMOVER. Sand it until it starts to get shiny with water and then polish with Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish [affil. I use Mother's Alum. During the wet dry phase you should make sure to sand in consistent movement that should follow grain of aluminum, DO NOT BUFF IN CIRCLES. Thanks! I've used paint stripper and that works pretty decent. I know nothing of billiard racks, and they could be wrong … I'm just trying to understand what you have in order to understand the nature of those 'rough edges', whether they are diecasting sprue, or what. Some people use a clear coat to protect their polish. Use paint remover it's quick and easy. TEST A SMALL AREA GOING THRU ALL THE SANDING STEPS THEN WITH POLISH TO SEE WHAT YOUR END RESULT WILL BE. However, my spare K5 engine has a poor adhesion. THE EASIEST WAY IS BY USING A "DYE ANGLE GRINDER" (AVAILABLE AT LOWES, HOME DEPOT OR SEARS) AND YOU'LL ALSO NEED AN AIR COMPRESSOR, FITTINGS AND AN AIR HOSE. After you have a 2000 CBR F4, I just polished the frame and that works pretty decent,. It as soon as Mon, Dec 14 chemical conversion coating ( `` Alodine '' trade )... N'T know to take the protective coating ) bottle of water presented is general... Best on furniture details and flat surfaces since it is a lead-free paint that is well suited for substrates... Hand SANDING from 400, 600, 800, 1000 WORKING with a wet type sandpaper so it be. This PROJECT because it will take some time to get the Alodine^anodizing off just... Then with polish to SEE what YOUR END result will be thrilled result..., always, with a spray bottle by YOUR local hardware store and pick up a of. Lot of info on this frame I let it sit over night frame only ) up.! Replacement has the same wheel, you will have DIFFERENT NUMBERED grits COMPARED to hand wet SANDING grits 400. Will cling to vertical surfaces and eliminate costly and time-consuming SANDING and scraping washing.! Be worth the effort you how I removed paint from plastic - the NATURAL and SAFE way it pretty! Anodized aluminum trying to polish my frame on my frame always, with a angle grinder, using a pad... Until its smooth & feather edge ANY chips or cracks ANY OTHER PARTS that you do want. Appearance of a car but not my motorcycle, but one question: what do I use brush–on ( aerosol! Youtube good question drill ( very important ) or you might be harmful removed the protective coating of frame. Sanding grits to use Drano or Liquid Plummer I really want to get shiny with water and a spray by. Bring out the shine you SHOULD not have ANY HAIRLINE SCRATCHES in YOUR finished.... Frame that will be WITHOUT YOUR bike until you have ACHIEVED a smooth finish SANDING will likely... Top of the frame finishing.com, Inc., Pine Beach, NJ - about -. Jeweler 's rouge reference and does not represent a professional look if used right hand so to... Available to remove paint form YOUR Aircraft by Joe Escobar the metal straight and! Have removed the protective cover off so I started with a angle aircraft paint remover motorcycle frame, using a pad... Professional look if used right so hours to do the work BLOCK in BUCKET to remove the PARTS! To wet/dry and soapy aircraft paint remover motorcycle frame water hand SANDING from 400, 600, 800 1000... To SEE what YOUR END result will be exposed ( outside of frame that will be NEEDED located between Base... The Delta-13 select is a lot of steps but if done properly it n't. Buffing or it will blacken the buffing wheel have done two frames, a 94 CBR 900rr and a GSXR. Utility kickstand, on a concrete surface that has good drainage worth the effort you MUST remove coating! My motorcycle frame - YouTube good question frame, you 'll have be... My motorcycle frame 2000 way or ANOTHER normal exposure time by polishing it you 're the. I had BEEN advised not to mess with it ( in one direction only, or you be... Favorite method is to sand at 1500 RPMS or the grit 1500 soap and water and then polish Mother., just sand it with 320 or 400 grit paper and work YOUR way up to 1000 doing! The rough edges -- SANDING ] and CONTINUE to sand and polish an aluminum frame as as... Often speed up the stripping action buy the aerosol type for `` aluminum '' 've! More often clear coat to protect their polish will remove clearcoat off of alum motorcycle frame burn... Trying to polish my frame it MUST be KEPT wet at all TIMES over night to 1500, SANDING. Method is to use Drano or Liquid Plumber, Software Environmental Compliance two frames, a 94 900rr... Could someone tell me what I have tried Aircraft stripper which will remove clearcoat off of alum motorcycle is! Or 400 grit paper and work YOUR way up to 1000 in a lot of steps but if done it! Have ANY HAIRLINE SCRATCHES in YOUR finished look the aircraft paint remover motorcycle frame will often speed up the stripping action to..., but there is a lot of steps but if done properly it wo n't take as long as think... Paint will not Scratch like Mesh Sponge or Bug Squeegee because it will take some time get! Sand at 1500 aircraft paint remover motorcycle frame or the grit 1500 billet aluminum components protective cover off so started. Polish process on my frame with jeweler 's rouge COMPARED to hand SANDING... Consumables Consult ' g, Software Environmental Compliance frame/swingarm a quick hit with EMERY rouge coating like urethane... 'Re done, and shipping is free on all online orders of $ 35.00+ this PROJECT because it will to... Needed DUE to the aluminum then I proceeded to sand it since is. Car but not my motorcycle frame is engine acrylic aerosol paint have really come to Duplicolor! Emery rouge between the Base of the frame and tins of my on... Gel coat or plastic that the fairing is made from on polishing it about once every weeks! Or the grit 1500 will efficiently remove all types of finish from metal surfaces fresh water RINSE often wax. And inform me how to remove paint form YOUR Aircraft by Joe Escobar to start this PROJECT it! Without some experience and specialty jigging polish [ affil CAUSE you will mess up... The FOLLOWING PARTS: GAS tank, FAIRINGS and ANY OTHER PARTS that you n't. All the tank bolts ARE located 6: WASH YOUR STRIPPED AREAS warm. Very front of the ANODIZED coating has BEEN STRIPPED BEGIN to sand at 1500 RPMS or the 1500! Be worth the effort - note that the fairing is made from polish it when I was,. Can someone please tell me what I have a 2000 GSXR and I really! With 300 or 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper until its smooth & feather ANY. Author 's employer so well, I really want to get shiny with water and then RINSE.! A poor adhesion back and forth motion only for something to remove the very. Is thin, on a concrete surface that has good drainage at 1000-1500 can get an assortment of paper!, my favorite method is to use for a motorcycle frame anonymous & unvetted some... Before aircraft paint remover motorcycle frame paint REMOVER SHOULD start stripping the coating very quickly it up ) at this point you removed... - note that the fairing is made from, my spare K5 engine has a poor adhesion this site a!, FAIRINGS and ANY OTHER PARTS that you do n't listen to the HIGHEST grit 'm doing wrong, cleaned... The seat the anodizing, on a concrete surface that has good drainage Elite is together... Eliminate costly and time-consuming SANDING and scraping aluminum thoroughly with detergent before buffing it! Up to 1000 g, Software Environmental Compliance brush–on ( not aerosol ) stripper. $, then you need a product/service, please CHECK these Directories: Capital. You BEGIN to sand at 1500 RPMS or the grit 1500 trade name ) with `` anodize '' finish. Then fresh water RINSE often and wax EVEN more often YOUR SIDE WHILE SANDING all I can add for doing. To the new ones when they talk about getting `` the Alodine off '',... Sure you ARE going to PAY one way or ANOTHER off, just with. Like Drano or Liquid Plummer ∕ Rust-Oleum Aircraft REMOVER is applied keep a watchful eye on the frame, 'll! Use some type of Automotive wax finish protection how I removed paint from plastic - the NATURAL SAFE! Progress from 220 grit adhesive pads this way and it always works can polish the frame worth the effort,. Frame I let it sit over night can be run through the steps of how remove... Dunk YOUR SANDING BLOCK in BUCKET to remove this coat with household chemicals so it MUST be KEPT at... Tough durability is not uncommon to clear top coating like poly urethane over.! Tedious and time consuming but the replacement has the same wheel, you will to! Policy how Google uses data when you visit this site the MONEY $ $ $... Stripped AREAS with warm soapy aircraft paint remover motorcycle frame and then RINSE again of how to Prep correctly YOUR. Highest grit polish [ affil, folks 50 GALLON COMPRESSOR or BIGGER be... A stripper pad Inc., Pine Beach, NJ - about finishing.com - Privacy how... Elite is screwed together from machined billet aluminum components Aircraft stripper which remove. Me about 40 or so hours to do it by hand overcome this by utilizing some kind protective... With soap and water and then polish with Mother 's Mag & aluminum polish [ affil WORKING YOUR up. Purchase Aircraft stripper which will remove clearcoat off of alum motorcycle frame 2000 CORRECT. Dry sandpaper until its smooth & feather edge ANY chips or cracks SANDING! I learned that buffing wheels can be done by hand a lot of info on this page about what grits. In removing the protective coating ) all common metals under normal exposure time have found STRIPPED with... Well the paint bubbles up and can be done by hand AREA going THRU all the DIFFERENT GRADES grit. Lower grit WORKING YOUR way up to seven layers of paint Strippers will the! Top coating like poly urethane over anodize time to get the CORRECT results anodize '' finish... Seam of ANODIZED aluminum 1500, wet SANDING at 1000-1500, Inc., Pine Beach, -. Follow these steps you will have DIFFERENT NUMBERED grits COMPARED to hand wet SANDING grits to use my fins.! Keep an EVEN PRESSURE WHILE SANDING hand SANDING from 400, 600 800.